X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clearwaterms
    • Nov 2006

looking for uber budget setup, front three speakers

I have a family member that is on a pretty tight budget and is looking to get a very cheap setup for her living room in a small apartment. Due to the 9' ceilings and the layout, we have opted against rear speakers, and am going to do just the front three.

She already has a HDTV, and a cheapie progressive scan DVD player.

The viewing distance is like 6~7' and the TV is wall mounted. The subwoofer will sit right below the TV, so it will be centered between the left and right channel. I am giving her a JBL 10" 100watt subwoofer that I have left over from when I upgraded to the SVS

I am going to suggest to her that she go with the Panasonic SA-xr25 reciever. I have read alot of good reviews on the Insigina bookshelfs, but would love to get good timbre match across the front channels.

We are honestly looking at $150 maybe $200 budget total. The cheaper the better. This will be used for SOME music, some movies, not an audiofile by any means
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Thats a pretty low budget....would take something like the Insignia's. Might be possible to get 2 decent front speakers for 200 and then get a center channel a couple months down the road.

Comment

• pereze
      • May 2006

I think it was one call that has the Boston Acoustics CR series speakers on closeout. I think you could get two pairs of the CR65 and use three of them across the front?

I don't know what you would do with the extra one. You could send it to me.

EDIT*******
      They have the center channel as well. So it would cost you about $200 for the three speakers. I would say, run don't walk as they will be gone soon.

Oh, and for $20 you could get the CR95 floor standing speakers.
      Last edited by pereze; 23 February 2007, 17:42 Friday. Reason: UPDATE!

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I'd say thats definetly your best bet probably...especially if you can stretch and get the floor standers.

Comment

• clearwaterms
          • Nov 2006

im going to suggest the book shelfs and the center from boston, thanks for everybody's help. The floor standers look nice, but onecall wants a fortune to ship them ($82 a piece)

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Yikes that is quite a bit.....

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

You might think about just going with a stereo setup for now. You can always add a center later. Your relative will be able to get something better this way. Even a nice set of B&W bookshelves for example.
              Danish

Comment

• clearwaterms
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by dyazdani
                You might think about just going with a stereo setup for now. You can always add a center later. Your relative will be able to get something better this way. Even a nice set of B&W bookshelves for example.
                well I went to her house last night with the intentions of showing her the onecall stuff. However being that she is more interested in looks then sound quality she said she would rather save up more money and go with something that can be wall mounted. I use the Athena Micra 6 in my living room and am very happy with it. So I suggested that for the $400 or so you can get that for online she should go that route.

Comment

• spyboy
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by clearwaterms
                  well I went to her house last night with the intentions of showing her the onecall stuff. However being that she is more interested in looks then sound quality she said she would rather save up more money and go with something that can be wall mounted. I use the Athena Micra 6 in my living room and am very happy with it. So I suggested that for the $400 or so you can get that for online she should go that route.
                  Hi claerwaterms

I have been looking at speakers at AV123. I like their small bookshelf speakers for $219/pair. I have an X-Sub on order in White Shadow Maple, however, I am thinking about changing my order to the Diamond Mascarey finish. I don't know if there will be an upcharge or exactly when that finish will be available.

Good Luck in your search.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"