X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whmacs
    • Oct 2003

RSP-1098 with 7.1 THX Setup?

Hi All,
    A few months ago I upgraded my setup to 7.1 using Jamo 6LCR THX speakers and added Rotel RMB-1075 and RB-1070 amps to my Onkyo 787 to provide outboard amplification. This has added new life to the Onkyo giving it a big powerful sound.

I'm now thinking of replacing the Onkyo with an RSP-1098 (love the Rotel gear!). I've read alot of reviews of the RSP-1098 and messages on this forum, but most of these refer to 5.1 setups. I was wondering how the RSP-1098 handles a 7.1 setup (with THX speakers) using Rotels XS processing. Does it do a good job with the back speakers? Is it confirmed that a PLIIx is on the way for the RSP-1098?

Also when I upgraded to the Jamo THX speakers and Rotel amps I made a decision that this setup would be for watching movies. I'm now finding that I'm listening to a bit of music as the Rotel amps give a nice smooth sound as against the harsh sound from the Onkyo's onboard amps. The reviews of the Jamo THX speakers I have read say that they are outstanding for movies (and I agree) but not so good for 2 channel music as they have a 80hz cut off with the 15" Jamo THX sub handling all the low stuff. 7.1 channel music does sound ok though. I realise that it has a lot to do with the speakers, but do you think that the RSP-1098 will help improve music listening (2.1 and 7.1 channel)?

Sorry for all the rambling, but I need a bit of a push as an RSP-1098 costs $5000 dollars here in Australia, so its a large investment to make.

Thanks for the help,
    Stephen

My Home Theatre
    My Home Theatre
  • DSGCobra
    • Feb 2003

Well I have no answer's for you as I am running a 5.1 setup, sorry. I just had to but in and say $5000 DAMN.

RSP-1098
    RMB-1095
    RDV-1080
    Energy C-9
    Energy Vertias V2.0C
    Energy C-3
    Paradigm PS-1200
    Audioquest everything.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Stephen,

Having made a very similar upgrade (and with a full 7.1 system), I have absolutely no doubt that you will find the 1098 outstanding for music. Except for the 1098's bypass stereo mode, I run all my speakers as SMALL with a 80 hz cut off to my very musical sub. There's lots of folks (such as Secrets of Home Theater http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html) that argue strongly that this is the right way anyway.

What you will loose by having the 80Hz cut-off in the front two speakers, is that you wont be able to run the 1098's CD input in Analogue bypass most where you use the CD players DACs rather than the 1098's, because you'll need the 1098 to redirect bass to the subwoofer, in which case its better to use the digital in from the CD to avoid the 1098 re-digitizing the CD signal. Sound is very personal, but you'd need a very good CD player to miss too much by doing this. And there are arguments (such as the one with Scarp HERE, that some find the digital input better anyway (such is the quality of the 1098s DACs). Ultimately, if the "passion drives you" you could later move your fronts to another room and get different ones with a full range.

Should the urge take you (and you have a good enough CD player to be bothered trying) you could also try the “Multi” inputs of the 1098 for stereo – these do an analogue bypass of all signals below 100 Hz to the sub – you’d get some “bass doubling” between 80 and 100 Hz though...

Either way, I absolutely promise you that a 1098 driving those Rotel amps for music will be serious (I think Andrew Platt used "jaw dropping") improvement.

In terms of your other questions:
      • Does it do a good job with the back speakers? YES. Other than the improvement in Stereo, this is the most impressive change – you will be overwhelmed by the extra detail and control through the rear speakers. Home Theatre, TV, everything is transformed. You’ll find yourself seeking out music DVDs (especially DTS ones) like The Eagles “Hell Freezes Over” and being amazed.
      • Is it confirmed that Dolby ProLogic IIx is on the way for the 1098? YES. We have no shipping date but Rotel has informally confirmed this in a number of forums as well as several reviews. Rotel are about to ship the feature for their new RSP-1068 processor in the USA so I’d be thinking February / March is safe.
      • How does the Rotel handle a 7.1 set-up with the XS processing? VERY WELL. So well in fact that if you do a search of this forum for IIx you’ll find that many current users didn’t really see the need for IIx given that they had XS.

Don't forget to work with your dealer to get quality speaker cable and interconnects between the CD and 1098 and the 1098 and the amps. They make all the difference (See DrBoom’s experiences in the thread above I have quoted for Scarp.

Lastly - talk to your dealer - I'm sure they will do better than Aussie $5,000 for you, especially as it is a "ship it in an sell it" situation to a good customer.

Geoff Costello

Comment

• whmacs
        • Oct 2003

Hi Dsgcobra,
        Yes, the RRP of the RSP-1098 in Oz is $4999. This wasn't so bad when the 1 Aussie dollar = $.50 USD. But now the 1 Aussie Dollar = $.79 USD, but the RRP still remains at $4999 :cry: As Geoff says above, hopefully my dealer will give me some discount.

cheers,
        Stephen

My Home Theatre
        My Home Theatre

Comment

• whmacs
          • Oct 2003

Hi Geoff,
          Thanks for the detailed reply, I want to run out and buy one now!
          With CD input are you suggesting that I should use the DAC's in the RSP-1098 and just run an optical cable from my CD player to the RSP-1098? This sounds like a great idea as at the moment I only have an 'average' Yamaha CD player, but it does have an optical output on it.

The surround processing on the RSP-1098 sounds fantasic, I'm looking forward to hearing it.

I think I have a good relationship with my dealer as they installed all the THX gear in my place including a Infocus projector (5700) and I payed them on time, so hopefully my relationship is good for a discount on the RSP-1098

I'll ensure that they cheack that the shield is installed on the RSP-1098 before it is shipped to the dealer.

On other question if you don't mind? My Onkyo has 96Khz DAC's in it while I see that the RSP-1098 has 192Khz DAC's. What improvement does this make to the sound?

Thanks,
          Stephen

My Home Theatre
          My Home Theatre

Comment

• whmacs
            • Oct 2003

Hi Geoff,
            Well, my dealer gave me a good price on the RSP-1098 and will also come out to my home install and calibrate it. He is also aware of the shield that needs fitting. I should have the RSP-1098 by monday

cheers,
            Stephen

My Home Theatre
            My Home Theatre

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Stephen,

I'm glad you decided to buy and your dealer did the right thing by you.

Re your last few questions:
              With CD input are you suggesting that I should use the DAC's in the RSP-1098 and just run an optical cable from my CD player to the RSP-1098? This sounds like a great idea as at the moment I only have an 'average' Yamaha CD player, but it does have an optical output on it.
              Absolutely. If your CD player has Co-ax digital you should try that as well (to my ears they sound different through the 1098). I'd also work with your dealer to try a couple of quality digital cables between the CD and the 1098 - they make a real difference (as I found out recently!)

My Onkyo has 96Khz DAC's in it while I see that the RSP-1098 has 192Khz DAC's. What improvement does this make to the sound?
              The 96khz vs 192khz will give the 1098 a greater resolution in encoding / decoding analogue signals. However in reality there are processors with a 48khz resolution (like the Parasound Halo C1) that sound awesome and some (not named) with a 192khz resolution that sound relatively poorly to the Rotel. Overall sound quality is about a balance of all sorts of components, technical and listening (which is what Rotel do a lot of) to get the best sound – A/D resolution is just one of many factors and you can’t judge likely sound quality by comparing it. However I have personally auditioned the Onkyo receiver you have and irrespective of the technicalities – you will be amazed with your new purchase.….

Geoff Costello

Comment

• whmacs
                • Oct 2003

Hi Geoff,
                Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. I'll post first impressions when the RSP-1098 arrives next week.

cheers,
                Stephen

My Home Theatre
                My Home Theatre

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"