X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cneville
    • Mar 2006

Speakers for a Newbie Rotel System!

Hello,
    I recently got my hands on some mad money and have decided to purchase a decent (non-system in a box, shudder!) setup. The strategy is to put a separates 2 channel system in place with future upgrades to HT (pre/pro, more amps/speakers). The most likely setup is straight Rotel, as follows;
    RB-1090(a keeper), RC-1070(future upgrade and/or a pre/pro), and RDV-1092 (NAD M55 or Marantz 9600 also possible).
    There seem to be few issues with these items, except for the too new disk player. The problem is the speakers. They will start life as L/R mains and possibly migrate to the sides for HT. I will be starting the demo process soon, but the dealerships are few and don't necessarily have the necessary combinations (Oregon). Also, I prefer slim-modern (dare I say sexy?) styling, but these types of speakers seem to inspire a love/hate response. The room is a converted warehouse/loft, 24'x24' with high beamed ceilings. My questions;
    1) Comments/experiences with the Gallo Reference 3.1 + SA subamp or the B&W XT4 + PV1. I'm scared to death to listen to the B&W 803s as they would kill the budget, even without a sub. Any other $4K/pair + sub products you would recommend a listen-to for a Rotel system (even the non-sexy ones)?
    2) If a dealer doesn't have the Rotel setup for the speakers, then what combinations are the most/least appropriate to use as a replacement? The Parasound P3/A21 and Arcam C31/P35 systems were on my initial list, as was the budget busting Bryston BP26/4BSST.
    3) I estimate $1K for the stand and cables with short ~6ft runs. Sound OK?
    4) Any suggestions for dealers with B&W/Rotel in the Seattle area (road trip!)?
    5) Who makes that cool equipment stand (red top & bottom supports) in the picture to the right of the Gallo startup page (http://www.roundsound.com/default.htm)?
    Many Thanks in advance and Do I Really Want Another Expensive Hobby?
    Chris Neville
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by cneville
    Do I Really Want Another Expensive Hobby?
    Well, wether you do or you don’t, you sure have one now!

Welcome to the Forum, Chris. Some of the most knowledgeable people in world share their thoughts and give trustworthy advice here. I know I’m one who has benefitted from the expertise willingly offered.

I appreciate your starting point, as I also felt the best course was to build a great 2-ch separates system first, and then expand to 5.1.

That being the case, IMHO, I would buy the best possible front mains I could at the absolute top of my speaker budget. To the point that I would incorporate the sub money into the loudspeaker budget, and look for a sub later down the road. Point being, speakers in the price range you are looking at will most likely have LF performance that will make a sub almost redundant. This is especially true if you plan on listening to music more that HT. In most cases, speaker mfg’s have other models that will integrate well with your front mains when your ready to expand to 5.1.

Just MHO, form a 2-ch music guy.

FWIW, some my personal favorites: Might I suggest Dali, Wharfedale, and ML.

Others with more experience will chime in soon, I'm sure.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• adrian carreon
      • Mar 2006

cneville,

welcome to the forum and future rotel club member as wkhanna said earlier on this thread...anyway, from my experience of browsing and journey of getting some good system, well, for my personnal preference is Paradigm Studio series, JMLabs Cobalt series and Dynaudio Focus which one my favorite. Of course you still need to check for yourself 'coz the only best gadget you can use is your EARS. :T

Happy Hunting to your new system.

Cheers!!!
      Marantz SR8500; RMB-1075 Silver
      Dynaudio Audience 72SE; Audience 122C; Audience 42 & B&W ASW 600
      Samsung DV841; Samsung DLP 50"
      Cobalt Cable Interconnect; Audio Quest & Monster Cable

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

Try B&W 804's. They could migrate to surrounds well enough in the future and will sound great now. Skip the 700 series if you want 5.1 upgradeability.

I'm a fan of Aerial Acoustics. In your price range, I'd look at the 7b's and new 6c's (if they're out yet).

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

The room is a converted warehouse/loft, 24'x24' with high beamed ceilings.
          A potential problem right there... that is considered a 'large' room, and the high ceilings won't help matters... before recommending any brands, I'd suggest you find a retailer that will allow in-home trial or has a liberal return policy... advise them of your room characteristics... do some homework on room acoustics and treatments... a room that size may limit your speaker choices and/or require lots of amplifier power and/or electronic EQ.

You may need to restrict yourself to easy-load, high-efficiency speakers... Klipsch comes to mind -- not my fave, but may be appropriate in this case.

All easier said than done.

I prefer slim-modern (dare I say sexy?) styling, but these types of speakers seem to inspire a love/hate response... Any other $4K/pair + sub products you would recommend a listen-to for a Rotel system (even the non-sexy ones)?
          Another problem in the making... I can't stress strongly enough buying speakers for sonic performance over looks... especially if you've got a difficult room to work with... be ready for some trial-and-error.

Easy for me to recommend this, 'cuz my home won't appear in Architectural Digest anytime soon... but most other people must take aesthetics into consideration, and this will always create some compromise -- you just need to figure which side of the equation gets more attention, sound or looks.

If music matters at all, go for performance... movie sound is less critical, IMO.

Gallo Reference 3.1
          The Ref 3 is wonderful speaker, but whether it or any other make is going to fit that room can only be resolved by listening at home.

Most forum members seem happy with their B&Ws, Paradigm & Klipsch, but there's a world of speakers out there... other makes to audition: Totem, Monitor Audio, Vandersteen, Dali, Sonus Faber.
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• spinners
            • Feb 2006

but there's a world of speakers out there...

Try Opera Diva's.......wonderful speakers. Or a good pair of Thiel's.
            I'm saving up for the Opera's. Just my 2 cents, but try to get off the beaten (B&W)tracks and you will be suprised.
            RSX1056, RB1070, RDV1050, RCD 1072, Dali IKON 2, 2x REL Quake II

Comment

• cneville
              • Mar 2006

So many choices, so little time!

All, Thanks for the info.
              I knew I was room challanged to start with. What is worse there is a big support column right in the middle of it, making placement problematic.
              Your replies have greatly increased the complexity of my speaker choice.
              Now I have to find somewhere to audition the Wharfedale Opus 2, the Paradigm Studio 100,the Dali Helicon 800, the Sonus farber Grand Piano Domus (leather on a speaker?,we're not in Kansas anymore!), .............
              As you can tell I've taken the advice and bumped up the speaker budget.
              It's hard to imagine a dealer letting me take any of these home for a listen, but you can only try. The ears will tell.
              Thanks,
              Chris

Comment

• Slice
                • Jan 2005

re: Rotel dealers, as you probably know, local choices are Chelsea (my fave - ask for the younger Ford Montgomery - really great guy), and Fred's; Hear No Evil in Salem, and Branford's in Eugene. I'd spend time at them all & get a feel for the store.

re: speakers, I love my Paradigm Studio's, but check 'em all out.
                - Slice

Comment

• Joey_V
                  • Jul 2005

At the 4K mark, I would go Martin Logan Vantage bar none. I tested many other $4-5K speakers ranging from the Paradigm S8 to the Dali MS4 (used). Go to MartinLoganOwners.com for the forum - get more info there.

But as always, trust yours ears.
                  Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                  Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                  System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"