X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigus
    • Jun 2003

Differences in RB-991 and RB-1080

First, since this is my first post, let me just state for the record that I currently own nine pieces of Rotel gear. I was directed here because members of a more general forum couldn't answer my question. :cry:

OK... What are the electrical differences between the 991 and 1080?

They sure look the same. As far as I can tell the transformer is the same (1.2kVa). The power output, damping factor, frequency response, and distortion figures all appear to be the same. They sure look like the same chassis from the outside, and the configuration on the back panel is the same.

But, IIRC, the 991 manual only says you can drive 4 ohm loads (stereo), wherease in the 1080 manual it says (so I've been told) to avoid lower than 2 ohm loads. (I have neither of them currently).

Are there physical differences in the circuit topology? Is the 1080 more capable into 2 ohm loads, or did they just add that to the manual after more complete testing?

In short... what are the differences between the two? I think the 1080 has some kind of thermal protection, and a 12V trigger. Anything else? If I was going to pick up a pair used, are there any sonic reasons to go with the slightly more expensive 1080?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

The Rotel manual (which is readily available at their website) states that speakers should be 4ohm or higher.. I doubt that you could run a 2ohm load for very long..

Electrically they should be very close.. I know with the new models they wanted everything that looks the same to have similar model numbers, so the front heatsink models became the "10" series. They probably just renamed it to flow better in their lit.

Kevin D.

Comment

• JohnSC
      • Jun 2002

I asked the same question a little while ago and found that the only difference was that the 12V trigger has been added to the 1080. My dealer confirmed this to be the case too.

I opted for the 991 and am very happy with it.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"