X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aramb
    • Apr 2003

Help me hook up my RSP-1066!!!

Okay all you experts... Here is a chance for your to help out a fellow "Rotelian" in need. Here is my problem.

I need to connect the following equipment to my 1066...
    1. DVD Player
    2. HDTV Cable Box
    3. DVD recorder
    4. VHS VCR
    5. 8mm VCR

I need to be able to record from any source to each of the three recording devices (# 3, 4, and 5). I have included a link to my wiring diagram, but I have come to a problem. Video 1 and 2 are occupied by the DVD and HDTV boxes, respectively, as I am using the component outputs (as well as SVid and Composite) on these units. Video 3 is connected to the DVD recorder. How do I connect the last two VCR units?

Please refer to the diagram and help a friend in need!

Thanks in advance.

AramB
  • aramb
    • Apr 2003

Today I tried using the Video 1 and Video 2 outputs to feed my VCRs since they are not being used with the DVD player or cable box. What I found is somewhat odd. The S-Video and Composite outputs for Video 1 and Video 2 are always "hot" feeding whatever source is selected with the REC function. However, the associated analog audio outputs for Video 1 and Video 2 are not so consistent.

What seems to be happening is whatever SOURCE is currently being listened to (for example, CATV on Video 2), will have a dead analog output associated with it. In other words, with Video 2 selected as the source, VID 2 Composite and S-Video OUT are both providing the feed from the cable box. However, the analog audio OUT for Video 2 is dead, although I am feeding both digital and analog from the cable box into the 1066.

Anyone no why this is and what the workaround may be?

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Unless you redub several times, or by a splitter for video3 out, I don't think you'll be able to do it. I think the rec-out is killed on the current playing input to avoid any chance of a feedback loop. IE, if a vcr was on video 2 with it's in and out connected, watching video 2 doesn't need to send it out video 2 or else the vcr would go into a loop, possibly overloading circuits.

Why video doesn't act this way I don't know, maybe audio has the only loop that could cause damage (to speakers, etc..)

Kevin D.

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Hi Aram,

Wanted to let you know that I got your email and hopped on over. I'm afraid, however, that I can't really be of help here though, as I've never even hooked up one of my tape decks to my Rotel. I did look at your diagram and the Rotel manual and, unless I'm missing something, it does seem you have all hooked up correctly. Sorry, but I'm just not familiar enough to offer an opinion as to your difficulties. Perhaps if you emailed your problem and the diagram to Rotel, they could answer your questions and address the issues you're having with the hook up.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• aramb
          • Apr 2003

Will using a splitter degrade the sound quality?

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Speaking of Hook, I just bought Superbit "Hook" this week, might have to break that out tomorrow.

Splitter quality could make a difference. In general, you loose a little signal, but it's not significant enough to cause problems split once.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Rock Dog
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2003

"Rotelians" Isn't that something Kirk and Spock had to fight off on an episode?

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• aramb
                • Apr 2003

Other than using a splitter which may degrade signal quality, does anyone else have any other solutions to my predicament? Do I need to trade in my one month old 1066 on a 1098, or would I still have the same problem?

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

The unfortunate thing is you would have to split twice to solve your problem (as everything would need to go through video3 out) 1098 probably wouldn't solve your problem, and splitting twice wouldn't be a good idea.

You could try and find a active splitter that split the signal at least three times. Kind of a powered device that had one input and multiple outputs.

If that route is too expensive, and cheap 4-out switchbox would work fine just using the audio (or Audio/video too if needed) Just select on the front which recorded you wanted to use at that time.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"