X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ibluetooth
    • Nov 2004

Help Understanding S-Video Up-Conversion

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right forum to post a call for help, but here goes.

I just bought a Yamaha HTR 5750 receiver for my den at home. Currently I am running Component cables into the DVD INPUT section of the receiver from my dvd player and optical for sound. This works perfect...there is no issue here.

The problem is that when I connect the rest of my AV equip...PS2, Cable Box, VCR etc (all composite outputs) to the receiver and output an S-Video cable from the receiver to the Television, I get sound but no image.

The receiver says that I can do S-Video Upconversions from Composite sources....am I doing something wrong to not get any picture?

I've checked all inputs - seems to be ok.
    I've switched sources on the TV - no picture on anything except component 1 which is the DVD -> Receiver -> TV connection
    S-Video 1 on the TV shows as connected, but no picture is displayed.
    I've enabled S-Video Upconversion on the receiver
    I've tried at least 2 sets of cable for each.

Any help please would be greatly appreciated.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Kieron, I hopped on Yamaha's website and looked through the manual. From your description it sounds like you have everything hooked up properly. I'd give your dealer a call and if that didn't work, call Yamaha direct at (714) 522-9105.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Do you have your TV connected to the Monitor Out S-video jack on the back of the receiver?

Do you have the TV set to the S-video input?

Double check to make sure V CONV is set to ON in the menus.

Did you run the composite video cables to the correct inputs on the receiver? Did you leave the S-video inputs open?

Try running an S-video signal direct to the TV (say, from your DVD player), and through the receiver, to rule out an issue with the cables or S-video connections.

Comment

• ibluetooth
        • Nov 2004

Kevin, I double checked all of the options you mentioned above. I also ran the S-Video direct to the tv and it worked fine.

David, thanks for the help, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing anything wrong since I am a newb to this stuff.

Just so that I am clear though, S-Video upconversion means that I can connect composite cables as inputs and have the receiver spit out an s-viceo signal right?

Maybe what I will do is connect the component video from the dvd straight to the television and see if that works. Perhaps the receiver can only output one video. Doesn't make much sense to me, but I'll try it anyway.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

Just so that I am clear though, S-Video upconversion means that I can connect composite cables as inputs and have the receiver spit out an s-viceo signal right?
          I demo'd the HTR-5790 for a week and your interpretation is bang-on. Up-conversion is a bit of a misnomer in that the signal doesn't improve it just transcodes to a different signal path. You can run all your sources down one cable which makes AV source switching very handy.

So the VCR will re-route out the s-vid cable.

I also ran the S-Video direct to the tv and it worked fine.
          from the dvd player or the receiver?

It should work, you would have to change your source selection on the reciever.

Now S-vid can be tricky when hooking up. Where the socket may not grab all the pins and you'll get either a black and whit picture or no picture at all (Andrew Pratt and I ran into this when we were hooking up my pc via s-vid to his 1098).

Might want to try a different cable from the receiver to the TV. Or give the existing cable a wiggle.
          Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• ibluetooth
            • Nov 2004

Hey all,

Just to let you know, I did speak with Yamaha today and they confirmed with me that I should take the unit back to the dealer that I bought it from. I did return the 5750 and got the 5790 instead (incl THX Select) and component upconversion.

Thanks to all for their help!

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Oooh, upgrade! :T (in best Homer Simpson voice)

Congrats Kieron - I'm glad everything worked out.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"