• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

RSP-1068 video quality problems

G'day,

I think the video handling of my Rotel RSP-1068 pre/pro is acting up,

I've got an old TV, which only accepts composite input, and is non-progressive. I've got a set-top box connected via composite to Video 1, a VCR connected via composite to Video 3, and a DVD connected via composite to Video 4 (it was connected to Video 2, but Video 2 seems to have died). I then have a composite connection via the RSP-1068's "monitor out" to the composite input of my TV. The RSP-1068 has been configured (via the OSD) as PAL and non-progressive.

Apart from having to shift the DVD from Video 2 to Video 4 a while back, I've had no problems displaying picture from the source, or displaying the OSD.

But lately the picture on the TV via the STB is washed out, with lighter colours bleeding across the screen. If I connect the STB directly to the TV, then the picture is perfect. It does not matter if I use the cable that normally connects the STB to the RSP-1068, or the cable that normally connects the RSP-1068 to the TV. Either cable (when connecting the STB to the TV directly) gives a perfect picture. When I connect the STB to the TV via the RSP-1068, however, I get washed out and bleeding colours.

Also, the OSD for Video 1 displays properly for around 2 seconds, then starts to jitter, then starts to roll.

In addition, viewing a VCR (on input Video 3) or a DVD (on input Video 4) shows ghosting of the STB image (on input Video 1). If I disconnect Video 1 input, then there's no ghosting on Video 3 or Video 4.

I tried switching the STB from Video 1 to unused Video 5, but I got the same results.

I've tried isolating all power cords and cables, moving the units around, etc, to no effect. When I connect the STB directly to the TV, I get a perfect picture and no ghosting on other inputs. When I connect the STB and the TV via the RSP-1068, the picture quality worsens, and I get ghosting on the other video inputs.

Does anyone have any idea why this is occurring, or what can be done to fix these problems?

--Geoff
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Geoff, you have done a good job of divide and conquer. It certainly sounds like a video issue with you're 1068. Its easy for many of us to say "take it to you're dealer" when this is a 45 minute trip into the city. If I recall correctly many folks are quite a distance from their dealers and you may be one those?
    If mine were to do this I would be on mydealers doorstep and I am sure I would be given a replacement until mine were fixed.

Comment

• hired goon
      • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by soundhound
      If mine were to do this I would be on mydealers doorstep and I am sure I would be given a replacement until mine were fixed.
      I temporarily fixed the problem by using the Video 2 input instead of the Video 1 input. The Video 2 input was previously used for the DVD, until it became unwatchable. Now that Video 1 is unwatchable, it seems I can use the STB via Video 2.

I should try the DVD through the Video 2 input, to see if it's watchable again, but I don't want to perturb the video input balancing act I have in place at the moment. It seems that at least one video input on my RSP-1068 is useless, but I never know which one

In any case, I'll be calling my dealer today to find out what's wrong...

--Geoff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

That is odd. Given the history of video problems I'd have it looked at...sooner or later you're going to want to sell it and its resale would be pretty low if you have a cavaet that the video isn't working right.

Comment

• ajpoe
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by hired goon

Also, the OSD for Video 1 displays properly for around 2 seconds, then starts to jitter, then starts to roll.

--Geoff
          I had this problem with my first 1068 and then other issues came to follow. The OSC would cut out and roll with the composite plug, I had to use the S-Video until I could get my new unit. I'd suggest taking it back, they felt it was probably a power supply problem. My 12v trigger melted shortly after...

AJ
          AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"