Advice for my new system

Hello,
    I'm planning to buy a new system with Rotel-only electronics:
    - RC 1090
    - RB 1080
    - RDC 1072
    - RT 1080

I have two doubts:
    1) Not sure about the speakers (B&W 703 or Sonus Faber Grand Piano)
    2) I've read a few posts that mention 'hum' or 'buzz' as a recurrent problem in Rotel pre/amplifiers, when playing at very low volume. Is this true?

Thank you for your advice,

Francesco
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

I listened to B&W 703 on a RC-1070 and RB-1070 with the RCD-1072 and it was no good, but no good at all. It is surprising, but the little RA-1062 sounded alot better than the RC1070/RB1070. But when I tried 703 and 1072 on better amplification, the 703 came to life. IMHO critics on the 703 must come from people who didn't try them on good amps; they are a bit fussy I guess. The cables/amp,etc must be well matched, but then it's sonic joy It must take good electronics for the 800 series too though. I never heard the other speakers you are considering. For the 703, the RC1090/RA1080 may do the trick, but I got a McIntosh MA6500 with the RCD1072 and the 703's and I'm so happy

Comment

• Dallasdave
      • Apr 2005

I have the 703's, run by 1095 amp and 1068 processer. I enjoy the sound and haven't hear any buzz at low volume. I listen to both 2ch and 5ch, the amp was a perfect match for me. The 703's need a good amp to sound there best.

I also have a 1050 amp (70watts) and ran the 703's just to see the difference, it was like night and day!

Comment

• Parsonsk
        • Nov 2004

I'm curious why you're going with the rc-1080? I'm looking at basically the exact same set up but i've choosen the rb-1080 and the rc-1070, i would think a better amp would make a bigger difference than a better pre, the price works out to be the same. I'm pretty sold on the b&w 703's but when i sat and listened to them in the show room yesterday they lacked in the low end (same old story as everyone else). They were about 4 feet from the wall and when i stood behind or next to them i could really hear the missing bass. When i was in front it was gone??? I wonder if it was due to placement?

As far as the buzz? If i'm laying down that kind of $ then i had better not hear a damn thing.

Comment

• jim777
          • Mar 2005

Parsonsk, I guess you meant the rc-1090 (vs rc-1070).

When I play with the placement my 703's, it seems to be a tradeoff between imaging and bass. You can also change the way you "support" them (spikes, sound anchors, rubber feet...). I think I have it allright now; 1-2 feet from the wall for good bass, on spikes for good stereo imaging.

At 4 feet from the wall, I think that less bass is normal. If the floors or the walls were cement under them, then it's even worse I have cement under the floor and two of the walls and the bass is still ok. You won't have kick-ass subwoofer-like bass but bass-guitar, acoustic bass and all those instruments sound balanced and very natural (with my amp, in my opinion).

BTW Francesco, if you're ready to pay for the rc-1090/rb-1080 combo (and an interconnect), why not also take a look at a good integrated, like the McIntosh MA6500 or other ones that people recommended in htguide... your ears could be surprised

And again, I can't speak for the Sonus Faber's.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"