X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris10
    • Apr 2006

CD Player for my B&W 703's?

After new B&W 703s and a Lyngdorf D-class amplifier it'll soon be time for the next upgrade - a CD player.

Currently I've got an old Technics CDP, which at the time back in the 80s cost me a whopping $120. That would amount to around $6 per year... . Well, it has served me well, and it's surprisingly agile - the stereo field is good, but it's a bit harsh on e.g. vocals.

So, given the characteristics of my setup - detailed, analytical - any recommendations on a CDP to bring the best out from my B&W 703s?

Lyngdorf has a matching CDP, but the price tag at $2000+ is a bit over the top. Models I've listed (but not listened to)includes Rotel 1072, Cambridge 640C (and the upcoming 840C), NAD C542, Naim CD5i, Denon DCD1500, Primare CD21. All in black!

What do you B&W-owners use and are happy/unhappy with?
    Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 20 May 2006, 07:46 Saturday. Reason: Making more B&W specific
  • BTB
    • Jan 2006

Hi Chris

I use an Arcam CD 73T (available in silver or black) US retail around $700 (I think) with Rotel 10 series amps and 704's. Not sure from your post (if you want more or less detail) but if details (not at the expense of music) are what you want, then this CD player will provide them. Keep's things pretty tight and focussed.

Comment

• dknightd
      • Mar 2006

Since you already have a computer, another option is to use it as the transport.
      My computer feeds a Benchmark DAC1 via optical cable. Sound quality compares with similarly priced CD players (even when the cost of additional disk space for the computer is included), and once you get used used to the point and click interface to your music library it is hard to go back to using those little disks in akward cases.

Comment

• Kobus
        • Aug 2005

Hi Chris

All the CDP's you listed are great (considering price of course).

Some people regard Cambridge 640 better than the Rotel 1072. Considering that the 1072 is regarded as a magic player I would love to hear what people think about the new Azur 840. (I did no know about the new one)

Kobus

Comment

• audiojunky
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Kobus
          Some people regard Cambridge 640 better than the Rotel 1072. Considering that the 1072 is regarded as a magic player I would love to hear what people think about the new Azur 840. (I did no know about the new one)

Kobus
          This is so subjective that it's almost impossible to say which player is better unless the difference in huge.

Personally, I spent around 2 hours listening to the Cambridge 640 and the Rotel 1072 (also Music Hall 25) and felt that the Rotel was far superior.

Comment

• Chris10
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by BTB

I use an Arcam CD 73T (available in silver or black) US retail around $700
            Thanks, I'll add that to my list! I'd like to keep the analytical/neutral character, although I have a feeling you have to avoid any sterile component.

Originally posted by dknightd
            Since you already have a computer, another option is to use it as the transport.
            That is an idea; I use the computer for my current HT-needs, feeding the (audio) signal to the B&Ws, but only using the analogue out of the sound card. That's the next big upgrade The problem with the computer scenario is that you have to turn it on, and it's noisy.

Originally posted by Kobus
            All the CDP's you listed are great (considering price of course).

Some people regard Cambridge 640 better than the Rotel 1072
            Well, that's the problem - how to chose from great players! :lol:

Originally posted by audiojunky
            Personally, I spent around 2 hours listening to the Cambridge 640 and the Rotel 1072 (also Music Hall 25) and felt that the Rotel was far superior.
            I have heard both versions on Cambridge vs Rotel, and for some reason it seams that Rotel stir up sentiments - for or against. Audiojunky, could you elaborate on what you percieved were the differences?

As usual, the best (only) way to judge is of course to listen yourself, but it is not practically possible to listen to that many machines. I keep wondering, if my current CDP is that nice (for it's price and age), how much difference is there between CDPs, especially in the same price range?

Comment

• caleb
              • Aug 2004

My TAG McLaren DVD32 does a great audio job on CDs.

Comment

• BTB
                • Jan 2006

Hi Chris

Getting opinions on CD players, or any audio component for that matter is likely to spark reactions not unlike a religious or political debate!! :W As seen above. I'm sure we can all appreciate that these are all subjective views being expressed, and that each alternate suggestion doesn't automatically indicate that another product is rubbish.

Chris, as you've already stated... try to listen to as many of these as you can and try not to be too influenced by anything other than what your ears can hear. In my opinion the Rotel RCD 1072 is perhaps one of the most overrated budget to mid priced CD players on the market. Sure it's a decent machine (but nowhere near as good as certain reviews make it out to be), I find it dull and a bit lifeless especially when compared to any of the Cambridge's, Arcam, Naim or Nad discussed above (mostly same price or cheaper than the Rotel in many markets, except the Naim). When I was CDP shopping recently I tried a Naim CD 5i (fantastic! but too pricey for me), a NAD C542 (a bit bright and taxing with my rotel amp/ B&W speaker combination), the 1072 (veiled, stunted dynamics, small soundstage... stuck inside the extents of my speakers [the others cast a much bigger stage]) and the Arcam CD 73 T, clearly I liked the Arcam most (of those I could afford) and bought it, hence my suggestion.

I would not strictly say that you should avoid other "analytical" sounding components... I quite like the merits of the "explicit" sound my system now produces... I very rarely feel that any of the detail or dynamics on my discs is being obscured in any way and as I said in my original post, this is not at the expense of the music. Do note (for the record), that I'll take clean tunefullness anyday over warm and fuzzy! My typical listening = 40% Acoustic Jazz, 40% Other acoustic material (folk, country, etc...), 15% Rock & 5% Electronica & Hip Hop.

Other's of course swear by the Rotel, and think it's the best value for money out there... So, anyway, go and listen and get the one you like, you've put together a good list of options and if you have a chance to try them all you'll definitely find the right one for you. Enjoy!

Comment

• Chris10
                  • Apr 2006

BTB,

thanks for a very enlightened post! You seem to have made a very thorough search in your quest for a CDP, thanks for sharing your experiences!

Since I believe that the differences between CDPs (in the same price range) is not enormous, the system you try them on will color the sound so much that it is not really possible to judge the CDP-only characteristics. I could be wrong of course...but assuming I'm right, this means that you really have to test CDPs using the same system, and even the same environment. Ideally, you'd borrow 8 CDPs to your home and compare them side by side. Unfortunately, that is not possible...

One thing I think is important when trying to match a CDP to 703s is to keep an eye on the HFs: When shopping around for speakers I also listened to the 705s, and in some instances the HFs sounded harsh. The 703s sounded much better, but having the same HF-elements, it is a bit sensitive in matching components.

Anyhow, I'll wait for the release of the Cambridge 840 and then start the elimination process!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

Hi,

Following PM with the author Chris10, after moving this to the Audio Hideout I have moved it back to Club B&W but edited the original post to be more clearly B&W specific - in line with the author's intent and the posting rules.

Geoff
                    Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 20 May 2006, 07:46 Saturday.

Comment

• BTB
                      • Jan 2006

Hi Chris...

You're 100% spot on, you should test your potential CDP with your own gear, because the nett effect of each machine will be system related. If you cannot get your top 3 picks (at least) for a home demo, next best thing would be an in store demo, using the rest of your system... as in transport whatever components in your system your dealer doesn't stock to the store to simulate your set up in their demo rooms... if you feel very strongly that you want to eliminate options on a fairly equal basis... an obvious mismatch will be as apparent in a demo room as your listening room!

Regarding the point you made about same price range CDP's not sounding that different from each other... I don't know, yes and no I guess, most do the basics right, but in the specific context of your system one or two will probably offer a significant sonic improvement over the others and brand based assumptions can prove to be wrong...

When I tried the RCD 1072 I figured it was going to be a no-brainer match with my Rotel amps, plus it would've made a neat stack. Maybe that's why I was so bitterly dissapointed when it sounded as veiled and "small" as it did. Thing is, I consider transparency (read: clarity and detail resolution) and dynamics to be two great strengths of Rotel amplifiers (maybe your amp too?). To my suprise the Arcam made more of these attributes than the matching player did, and you might likewise find that one of the players you try will clearly outshine the others. Regardless, considering that you're upgrading from what sounds like a pretty old player I think that the quality leap you will experience anyway, is going to be remarkable whichever one you choose.

Lastly, I have listened to the 703's, they are superb speakers but you're right, those upper mids can be a little taxing in the wrong company, so careful matching will be essential to make the best of it's vast range of talents. I find the Arcam to be essentialy neutral, while offering up loads of detail with great timing and dynamics to boot! As much as can be expected without spending much more anyway... so I'll stick with that suggestion, your mileage may differ. One thing though... it is very reactive to changes in interconnects, if you do try it out, use a few just to see what differences you hear. Maybe sounds like nonsense, but I'm just relating my own experience.

Anyway, after this marathon reply... ops: Good luck, do let us know how your search turns out, or PM me just for interest. Cheers.. :T

Comment

• akhter
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by BTB
                        Hi Chris

I use an Arcam CD 73T (available in silver or black) US retail around $700 (I think) with Rotel 10 series amps and 704's. Not sure from your post (if you want more or less detail) but if details (not at the expense of music) are what you want, then this CD player will provide them. Keep's things pretty tight and focussed.
                        I have the same with my N804 fronts and I second that.

Comment

• Rags
                          • Aug 2003

Another vote for Arcam. The CD73 is ok but if your budget allows go for the FMJ model. Really superb players

Comment

• Chris10
                            • Apr 2006

Many votes for Arcam - I got the message! h:

Wife just told me the 703-system sounds so good that we don't need a new CDP...I guess I have to borrow one home to prove her wrong! :roll:

Comment

• BTB
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris10
                              Many votes for Arcam - I got the message! h:

Wife just told me we don't need a new CDP...:roll:
                              Well, Chris my good man... there's not much left to say after that... the boss has spoken. :rofl:

Good luck man!

Comment

• audiojunky
                                • Mar 2006

After reading this thread, I'm planning to go audition the Arcam 73. I had almost decided on the Rotel 1072 but now I'm definitely going to check out the Arcam. The place I'll be going to do don't carry the Rotel line-up so it'll be tough to do an A-B comparision though.

Any idea how much I shoul dbe able to get one for (new) after discount? Also, how expensive interconnects should one invest in for a player of this kind?

Finally, does anyone know how this compares to the new Rega Apollo player?

Comment

• scanido
                                  • Apr 2006

Please let us know which CDP you ended up going with.

BTW, how would you connect the CDP to your receiver or processor? On these expensive players is a waste connecting via coaxial or Toslink?

Comment

• BTB
                                    • Jan 2006

Hi Audiojunky...

Pity you cannot do a direct A/B to inform your decision that way. I however remain confidant that you will enjoy the Arcam for the great player it is. Is it possible to get a Rotel and take it along to the Arcam demo?

Anyway, in the States I think the Arcam retails for just under $700. Regarding the interconnect question... My interconnects cost about a third of what the player itself cost, But aside from cost you should play around with a few interconnects if you can because I've found that the Arcam is quite reactive to individual cables, I use a silver conductor between my CDP and pre amp, and a carbon/copper hybrid conductor between the pre and power amps. I've switched them around with significant results, the carbon/copper cable effectively dulled the sound down BIG TIME. Anyway, just my experience, but the important thing is to try a few if you can.

As for the Rega, I've not heard the Apollo yet, but I do know that their stuff is often compared to Naim gear and that I've heard plenty of. If a true comparison, the Rega should have great skills in the timing and dynamics departments, I'd be keen to know what you think of it if you have a chance to listen.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"