703 surround sound system, recommended center channel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bnieman
    • Jun 2006

703 surround sound system, recommended center channel?

Hello,

I am looking to complete my 5.1 surround sound system by matching my front 703s with rear 703s.

I would love to use another 703 speaker for the center channel but this is not possible as it would completely block my projection screen.

Currently I have the HTM7 but in my opinion it pales in comparison to the 703s as far as speech realism.

What would you recommend for a center channel that would blend in nicely with the 703s? I have been considering something along the lines of the N-HTM1 but would really appreciate some feedback.

I am guessing the secret in the sound of the 703s is the FST midrange (surroundless) which is why I am leaning towards a 800 series speaker.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers!
    Bryan
    Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

I started out using the HTM7 with my 703 fronts and didn't like the combo. I went to the Nautilus HTM1 and found it to be an excellent combination with the 703s.

Comment

• bnieman
      • Jun 2006

Thanks beden1, glad to have reassurance in my initial thoughts

Did you feel the same about the HTM7? I always feel myself wanting more from movie dialog. If a voice pans from the front (HTM7) to one of the sides (703) all the sudden a veil is lifted when it gets to the 703 speaker.

I firmly believe the center channel is one of the most underrated components in a home theater.

Comment

• COhifi
        • Nov 2008

I recently went through the same issue. I got the HTM7 from a dealer for a great price, but felt it didn't match my 703 at all. I returned it and decided to look around for a replacement. I looked into the N-HTM1, but went with the HTM2d instead.

The reason why I choose the HTM2d was mainly because of my future plans to get 802ds, but also because I thought they sounded great together. Once, I got it in my home I was not disappointed at all. The sound is very full, tight, rich, and fairly seamless across the front (not near as noticeable as with the htm7). The diamond tweeters are amazing. I listen to a lot of multichannel music and watch a good deal of movies, so the center speaker is very important in my set up. All I can say is that I am very happy with my choice to get the 2d and I do not feel a strong need to upgrade my 703 to 803d or 802ds anytime soon. The sound I am getting now is that good.

I have heard the HTM-1 is a great combination as well. That would have been my second choice. However, I got my used 2d for $2300 and a used HTM1 goes for at least $1000. I think the diamond tweeter and the better bass drivers are worth the extra $1300, but that is just my opinion.

I hope that helps.

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by COhifi
          I recently went through the same issue. I got the HTM7 from a dealer for a great price, but felt it didn't match my 703 at all. I returned it and decided to look around for a replacement. I looked into the N-HTM1, but went with the HTM2d instead.

The reason why I choose the HTM2d was mainly because of my future plans to get 802ds, but also because I thought they sounded great together. Once, I got it in my home I was not disappointed at all. The sound is very full, tight, rich, and fairly seamless across the front (not near as noticeable as with the htm7). The diamond tweeters are amazing. I listen to a lot of multichannel music and watch a good deal of movies, so the center speaker is very important in my set up. All I can say is that I am very happy with my choice to get the 2d and I do not feel a strong need to upgrade my 703 to 803d or 802ds anytime soon. The sound I am getting now is that good.

I have heard the HTM-1 is a great combination as well. That would have been my second choice. However, I got my used 2d for $2300 and a used HTM1 goes for at least $1000. I think the diamond tweeter and the better bass drivers are worth the extra $1300, but that is just my opinion.

I hope that helps.
          That's a sad statement about this crappy economy, that enabled you to get a $4,500 HTM2D for $2,300!

I also have the HTM2D to go with my 803Ds. It's a great speaker, but, the HTM1 does a better job with the 703s as the voicing is just a better match, IMO. I would go with the HTM2D only if you plan to upgrade to the Diamond Series speakers down the road.

The HTM1 has held it's re-sale value well, so you could always sell it if you ever moved to the diamonds. I recently sold mine with little effort.

Comment

• bnieman
            • Jun 2006

The HTM2D is way out of my price range at the moment although I eventually do want to move the diamond series... I would put that about 5 years out from now though.

Thanks so much for the input guys, I will definitely be keeping my eye out for a N-HTM1 at a reasonable price. By the way, what is a fair price?

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by bnieman
              The HTM2D is way out of my price range at the moment although I eventually do want to move the diamond series... I would put that about 5 years out from now though.

Thanks so much for the input guys, I will definitely be keeping my eye out for a N-HTM1 at a reasonable price. By the way, what is a fair price?
              I sold mine at $1,100 about a month ago. It was the lowest price at the time.

I have not looked for a while, but $1,100 to $1,250 should be a good price for a clean piece.

Comment

• bnieman
                • Jun 2006

I would be totally sold at $1,100. Wish I would have been looking sooner!

Comment

• aweil
                  • Feb 2009

I bought a CMC2 to go with my 703's.... It sounded good in the showroom. I should have it in the next week or so assuming it's not backordered, and can give a more full review then.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"