• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dannie123
    • Mar 2007

703 Vs 803S

*Caution!* New Member
    OK here goes...my first post.

I currently have a pair of 703s that I use in a home theater setup (50/50 music/movies). I have an HTM3 centre and DSM7s for the rears. I use a Servo15 (v1) for my sub. Electronics consist of an AVM20 and a Rotel 1095 amp.

I would like to upgrade the 703s and am considering the 803S. When I went from a CNT7nt to the 703 I spend a considerable amount of time comparing the 703 to the N804 and the 804S. As luck would have it my dealer was very obliging and I was able to spend time with all the speakers at home and in the shop. To be honest I didn't notice any difference between the N804 and the 804S. Unlike most others I read, I liked the "brightness" of the 703s. I have some hearing loss in the upper frequencies and I suspect this is why I perfered the forwardness of the 703s. I found myself adding treble when listening to the 804 which seemed a lot smoother and warmer. This, to my ears, was the most notable difference. I really didn't see much difference in the soundstage or imaging. There might have been slightly tighter base in the 804S but it was hard to tell. It could have been because I had both the dealer and a friend telling me that the base in the 804S was better that I noticed any difference at all. Anyway I went with the 703.

Now my question. I'm looking to upgrade and since I wouldn't go to the 804 I'm thinking of the 803s (anything higher is too rich for me). Since I do not have the opportunity to listen to the 803S. I was hoping you guys might be able to provide some advice. How does the 803S compare to the 703 and the 804S.

thanks

dannie
  • KEF
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by dannie123
    Now my question. I'm looking to upgrade and since I wouldn't go to the 804 I'm thinking of the 803s (anything higher is too rich for me). Since I do not have the opportunity to listen to the 803S. I was hoping you guys might be able to provide some advice. How does the 803S compare to the 703 and the 804S.
    First of all, welcome.

I can help with part of your question - comparing the 800 series. Last March I upgraded from the N804s to the 803Ss, and I was happy with the change.

While there were a lot of changes from the N to the S series, the primary difference I noticed was the improved Bass response.

While I am sure there was an improvement in the top end, I would not state it as what I noticed most. Perhaps in a side-by-side this would have been more apparent, but for me the 803Ss were a fuller sounding speaker, primarily due to the improved bass response, and the larger cabinet.

I was very happy when I made that upgrade, but I never used a sub in my two-channel system. If you are using your sub for stereo, you would probably want to get some type of in-house demo prior to committing.

Cheers,
    Keith

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

I just went through this same upgrade thought process. I have 703s, along with an HTM3S (upgraded from the HTM7), and added two Velodyne Contrator Series SC-15s.

I recently auditioned the 803S, 803D, and 802D. I furnished my thoughts in this thread. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=25448 I had the opportunity to buy a used pair of 803Ns and/or 802Ns, and read on this forum that they are both very excellent speakers.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the 803S from the start. But, now that you have the 703s, you can do what I'm going to do in using them as the rear surrounds where I think they will do extremely well.

I feel using the 803S as mains, with your HTM3S center, and along with the 703s as the rears would be a really great setup. I don't think you will be wanting for anything.
      Last edited by beden1; 29 March 2007, 16:46 Thursday.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"