X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

Why not directly to TV?

I've finally gotten all my speakers purchased. I have my 1066, 1070/1075 Rotel gear. So I'm in 7.1 heaven. My eyes are now looking towards upgrading my TV. (This is Rotel related, I promise)

What's the point of buying TWO video cables? One from the DVD player to the 1066, and then another one from the 1066 to the TV? Why not simply plug your video connection directly from the 1066?

I've got my setup now hooked up through my 1066, but I was thinking that if/when I get a new TV, it will have component inputs...buying two component cables will be quite pricey.

Is the 1066 doing something to that video signal?

signed,

Confused in Los Angeles

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Spiffnme,

Some say that hooking a component directly to it's source provides better reception (bypassing the pre-pro video connnections). I don't have sufficient options with the alternative video sources on my projector
    (their may be other factors to consider) , therefore I utilize the video options on my pre-pro (convenience).

I would try the direct method first (ensure your tv has enough auxilary video options), and then the second (thru the pre-pro), the real truth is in the eyes of the beholder.

Just my quick thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• spiffnme
      • Apr 2003

Sure...that would be the smart thing to do. The lazy thing is just to ask other people and take their word for it! If I get two sets of cables, and decide I like the direct connection better, I'll have to return that second set. That's sooo much extra work. (Can you tell I'm feeling really, really lazy right now?)

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

In my scenario, I have 2 component in's on my tv, and I need 5. I send cable directly to the tv, and the other goes to an audio authority 1154 audio switcher. I would prefer my receiver to split the signal, but unfortunately there are very few receivers available w/ enough component video slots. I have many needs. heheh. Cable, DVD, Xbox, PS2 and GC
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

It is usually best to go direct to the monitor providing you have enough inputs on the TV. That said if you're generally using the same type of input or if the receiver or pre amp upconverts the inputs it an make life a lot easier since you don't have to switch inputs on the the TV.

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

Always best to go direct. The reason, as stated, that people use video switching is that many TV's don't have enough inputs and thus the inputs on the receiver are used. For those using video switching with Rotel, I doubt any picture degradation would be noticed at all though.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• spiffnme
              • Apr 2003

Groovy...thanks guys. You just saved me about $80. I had planned on buying two component video cable sets. I'll just hook my dvd player up directly to the new tv.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• Scarp
                • Mar 2003

This is exactly why I could have done without the svideo en component connections on my 1098. I only use direct connection, since I use a scart cable with RGB signals anyway. I only need a few composite inputs for showing some picture on the TFT.

So, what would have been nice is a "audiophile" version of the 1098, without video switching (saves two of the boards in the unit), but with an extra multi channel analogue input and some balanced inputs/outputs

Hmm... A 1098AE (just like the RCD991AE, with extra audiophile tuning)

Comment

• gd
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Scarp
                  So, what would have been nice is a "audiophile" version of the 1098, without video switching (saves two of the boards in the unit), but with an extra multi channel analogue input and some balanced inputs/outputs
                  Agreed... while I sit here lurking and putting off any upgrades, that TFT on the 1098 becomes less and less attractive... I'd also to see a strictly-audio 1098 with no video circuitry... or maybe more likely, a revised 1066 (1067?) with 1098's sonic attributes -- at a 1066 price point... and, if needed, a separate video router like Bryston offers (I wonder what percentage of users have multiple video sources that require video routing / switching?).

Balanced outputs would be nice, but we won't be seeing that from Rotel anytime soon, as true balanced circuitry would mean a substantial overhaul... not a deal-breaker to me... twin multichannel-in sounds good, though... digital interfaces even better (even Rotel-proprietary if necessary).

After all, my lingering impression of Rotel is first and foremost: exceptional audio gear.
                  greg (gd to you)
                  Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                  production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• skipm
                    • Jun 2003

One of the main reasons I purchased a 1098 was because of it's 4 component video inputs. I have 4 video sources that require it. I was having to use an Audio Authority component switcher which worked well but it was one more device and one more set of cables in the video loop. As long as your receiver or pre-pro's component video inputs have a bandwith of at least 50 Mhz, you shouldn't have a problem. HD signals only require a bandwith of 37 Mhz. I've been passing video thru receivers for the last couple of years and haven't had a problem yet as long as the bandwith was 50 Mhz of better.

Don't sell the TFT short, especially if you have a plasma, projector, or into DVD-Audio in a big way. Also, you can get to and change any setting on the 1098 in a split second on the TFT. And last but not least, it's great for previewing what's on other sources.

You can tell that Rotel put a lot of thought into the needs of both audiophiles and videophiles when they designed the the 1098.

-Skip

Comment

• Scarp
                      • Mar 2003

First apologies for going offtopic here

I just want to say that I absolutly love the 1098 and have no regret in buying it although I'm not using 90% of its capabilities

Comment

• gd
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by skipm
                        Don't sell the TFT short, especially if you have a plasma, projector, or into DVD-Audio in a big way.... change any setting on the 1098 on the TFT.... great for previewing what's on other sources... You can tell that Rotel put a lot of thought into the needs of both audiophiles and videophiles when they designed the the 1098.
                        Acknowledged -- absolutely!... the 1098 remains on my short list (with 1066 & Anthem)... just stating a personal preference; video is secondary to me (3 sources max, 2 component max) and I'll always pursue a way to keep it removed from the audio path... I'd even be happy to ditch one of the component connections (depending on the TV) to keep it away from the pre-pro.

That ability to preview is pretty cool, but if I can do it with a separate small dirt-cheap CRT, so much the better.

In any event, I don't hear anyone complaining about RF or video noise interference on their 1066 or 98... 'cuz, hey, Rotel rocks!
                        greg (gd to you)
                        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

OOOOOOH :P An audio version with no TFT at all. All audio and close to the 1066 price point... droool! Good luck on the xlr though. Extra multi channel input would be nice and or a digital conncetion for SACD/DVD-A... droool again!

I'm with Scarp and GD on this one. Where do I line up to buy it?

It would be interesting to see what percentage of us use the video capabilities. I connect all video directly to the TV myself. I know not everyone can but the numbers would be interesting. Besides if I ever need the video capabilities like gd said, a seperate video router/scaler could be sold that could do some cool stuff and make rotel more money again....lol

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                          Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Sep 2002

Where do I line up to buy it?
                            Behind me.

Hope Rotel reads this. Maybe an :idea: will come to them.

Keith
                            Keith

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Behind me.

Hope Rotel reads this. Maybe an :idea: will come to them.
                              Behind you eh, how much can you bench Danbry? (He say's while puffing out and banging his chest)

So where's Andrew at? He needs to relay this info to the Rotel God's that he's in cahoots with...lol ESPECIALLY before I buy my 1066. I wanna know if they've got this in the works?!

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                              Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Sep 2002

I'm up to 14 ounces, buddy, so maybe you can stand in front of me now, but, I can just feel that the one pound barrier will be achieved in the next couple of months. So, ya better watch out, cause ain't nobody gonna push me around then. LOL

Keith
                                Keith

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

hahaha... okay Danbry, because that was so funny I'll even let you ahead of me in line.

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Andrew? Calling all Andrews?

Jason

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"