X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe M
    • Jun 2002

1098 "In the Lab" results

Let me start this post off by saying that I own a 1095/1066 amp/preamp combo and was thinking about upgrading my 1066. After reading the 1098 S&V review I was wondering if anyone else thought the "in the lab" results were a bit disappointing. Dolby Digital Performance- Noise Level.....-71.7dB/Mulitchannel Performance Analog Input...-79.1. Compare these numbers to an $800 Denon receiver teseted last month... Dolby Digital -76.5/Multichannel -95.6. Judging by everyones posts there has not been any signs of noise during listening, but I like to think a $3000 preamp would outperform an $800 receiver in these areas.
  • skipm
    • Jun 2003

Joe-

I haven't seen the S&V review yet but I replaced a $1,200 Denon receiver (AVR-3803) with the 1098 and I can tell you without a doubt, that the 1098 sounds better by a large margin. I don't know if this is because of the 1075 amp that I purchased along with it, or, because the speaker/bass management configuration is superior but I hear a difference in sound quality coming out of the speakers and that is where it matters most. Being an engineer I have a healthy respect for numbers, but I also think that numbers only tell part of the story. Have a listen yourself or better yet talk your Rotel dealer into letting you take one home to demo. But you better have your checkbook ready.

-Skip

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

In the german magazine Stereoplay they tested the 1098 also and its just a very little bit behind a TagMclaren AV32 which costs a 1000 euro more.

Signal to noise they measured on
      * Analog bypass: 92 dB
      * Dolby Digital 96 dB
      * Dolby Prologic 83 dB
      These are good measurements.

But reviews and measurements say only a small part of the story. Go listen to it.

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

A bit confused and disappointed. Not claiming to be the expert here, but you would have expected that Rotel's flagship would best the specs of the Denon. You're right, though, that the proof is in the hearing. I'll continue relying on the testimonials of owners of the gear as a bellwhether of the 1098's performance, but will keep the testing results stored in the back of my mind for some consideration. Bottom line: If noone hears the problem, it will a non-factor to me personally when I'm making my decision.

I also trust Rotel engineers and their track record.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• will1066
          • Aug 2003

David Ranada, who handles the lab tests, did say he didn't have noise problems during actual listening.

Comment

• Joe M
            • Jun 2002

Please understand that I'm not trying to bash the 1098 in any way. I am a big fan of Rotel products (I own a 1095 and 1066). I have listened to the 1098, though only for a few minutes in DD. (I'm lucky to live walking distance from a great A/V shop ) When I'm closer to purchasing I will go listen extensively and in the long run my ears (not a S&V review) will obviously be the final judge. I just found S&V measurments (it's possible that they are not 100% accurate) unusual, and felt that I should share the info.

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Joe,

I don't think anyone felt you were bashing. Information like this is important to post. I know I want to know all aspects of Rotel product and would rather it was discussed here than ignored. You did Club Rotel a service by bringing it up.

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• Scarp
                • Mar 2003

Those figures from that S&V magazine don't say much to me. Its just one magazine and before seeing other measurements I wouldn't make a judgement based on them.

Also the signal to noise is very good as seen in another test.

Comment

• Whistler
                  • Aug 2003

Before I bought the 1066 I had a Denon AVR 3300. In my opinion the Denon has not a chance against the 1066. And I don't think de 3803 makes a chance against the 1098 as well.

The Mainframe
                  The Mainframe

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"