X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rockbobmel
    • Dec 2005

HD Hardware upgrade RSP 1098

Why can't they make an upgrade board for the 1098 for Dolby HD/DTS HD?

I can't get over it. Sorry... Who needs the S-Video board anyway? It could go in there, with the HDMI jacks. The chip could be right on the board for the add'l decoding, or at least a matrix that is back compatable.

Thanks,
    Bob M.- Visit! http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepjij3/

Rotel RSP-1098
    Rotel RB 1080
    Rotel RB 976
    Arcam CD192
    Arcam DV89
    Arcam P-25
    Panasonic DMP BD55
    Samsung HD 42 Plasma
    Klipsch RF-7s Dean Xovers
    Klipsch RC-7 x 2 Dean Xovers
    Klipsch RS-62s
    Klipsch RSW-15
    Velodyne ULD-15
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I would think it would require more than just a single board upgrade. I can only assume that at least the processor would have to be upgraded as well... if not more. Once you start getting to that level of change it's not financially wise by Rotel or the customers to upgrade IMO.
    Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Exactly, it's not like a computer where the boards are interchangeable. Where the svideo board plugs in is only designed for a svideo board. To change that to something else would require changing to back plane and everything else associated with it.

It's just doesn't make sense when the new players will decode the sound as well.

Kevin D.

Comment

• rockbobmel
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
        Exactly, it's not like a computer where the boards are interchangeable. Where the svideo board plugs in is only designed for a svideo board. To change that to something else would require changing to back plane and everything else associated with it.

It's just doesn't make sense when the new players will decode the sound as well.

Kevin D.
        Thanks. Hey Kevin, Am I missing something? What do you mean about the new players decoding? Do you mean back compatable? Will they be able to send a decoded signal into the 7 channels of the RSP?
        Bob M.- Visit! http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepjij3/

Rotel RSP-1098
        Rotel RB 1080
        Rotel RB 976
        Arcam CD192
        Arcam DV89
        Arcam P-25
        Panasonic DMP BD55
        Samsung HD 42 Plasma
        Klipsch RF-7s Dean Xovers
        Klipsch RC-7 x 2 Dean Xovers
        Klipsch RS-62s
        Klipsch RSW-15
        Velodyne ULD-15

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

one thing you forget to, you can't just "plug in an HDMI board" For one, HDMI does both video and audio, so the audio has to be completely passable to the other components in the system. Including decoding and processing it. Which the new formats are too high of a bit rate for the chips to decode. So now you're having to replace chips on the MB itself.

If you go into all the technical specs of it...it's a much more difficult thing to do than most think. I doubt if a even more than a couple of the Processor currently out there will have upgrade boards to them. The only way is if the company planned ahead an made a very high passthrough system to all of the daughter boards that can be swapped out. Even then, I'm not sure if many could support a full 7.1 processing at a lossless bitrate.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by rockbobmel
            Thanks. Hey Kevin, Am I missing something? What do you mean about the new players decoding? Do you mean back compatable? Will they be able to send a decoded signal into the 7 channels of the RSP?
            Yes, it will be like current DVDA/SACD players, decoded sound sent out analog outputs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Hi,

.... And Dolby are pushing the player makers to go 7.1 on the outputs with full bass management - so that will make the set-up truely useful...

Of course once the new HDMI 1.3 standard finally sorts out - that will be an option too

Oh, and for those with existing HDMI 1.1 and 1.2 inputs on their processors / recievers, Dolby are pushing that players will have an option of putting out the equivalent of full bit rate current Dolby Digital over the link, downcovered from Dolby HD - so that will work as well...

Now if only this HD-DVD / Blu-Ray nonsense stops soon!

Geoff

Comment

• Clepto
                • Feb 2006

You should be able to get decoded from the player multichannel PCM over HDMI 1.1+

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"