• Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sound lab quietest place on Earth

Sound lab quietest place on Earth

By MATT MCKINNEY

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The quietest place on Earth makes its claim less than a block from a bustling liquor store, next to a city bus stop, under the flight path of jumbo jets, and not far from a playground that hosts a daily scream fest worthy of earplugs.

And yet, there it is: the anechoic chamber at Orfield Labs, an office-size studio used for testing sound equipment. Right in Minneapolis.

Engineers tested the chamber not too long ago and found, or rather didn't find, sound. What they didn't find measured below the threshold for human ears, 0 decibels, and was as quiet as negative 9.4 decibels, an absence so profound that a person standing in the room for more than a few minutes would begin to hear his or her own ear making noise as their brain struggled to understand what was happening.

Lab owner Steve Orfield wondered if he might have the quietest chamber in existence. He called Guinness World Records.

"Guinness had never had a claim of negative decibels so they said, 'Why don't you just call it the quietest place on Earth?"' Orfield said.

And that's how the anechoic chamber (named for a Greek word that means "no echo") at Orfield's E. 25th Street laboratory got into the latest edition of the record book.

The quietest place on earth was once the noisiest in the digital world. This was the site of Sound 80, the legendary south Minneapolis studio that pioneered digital recording using machines developed by 3M Co. The world's first production of digital recordings was made here: the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra's rendition of Aaron Copeland's classic "Appalachian Spring," and a second recording by local legends Flim and the BB's. Bob Dylan recorded parts of "Blood on the Tracks" at the company's No. 1 studio, which remains much as it did at the time of the recording. Others who passed through the studio include Roberta Flack, Leo Kottke, Cat Stevens, Dave Brubeck and Lipps.

Times changed, and Sound 80 founder Herb Pilhofer eventually sold the building to Orfield 15 years ago.

A room so quiet one could hear a pin drop is really not so quiet. Listen again and hear the throaty whoosh of air coming from the heating ducts, the buzz from a distant airplane overhead, cars humming past the window; mobile steel noisemakers. A high school physics teacher will tell you that sound travels as vibrations through air and even our quiet places are alive with sound. And that's just what we can hear. A human ear can theoretically detect sounds as low as 0 decibels, an arbitrary number that was set to match the approximate threshold of human hearing, but many adults cannot hear anything below 12 to 15 decibels. And then there's the whole range of sounds below human hearing, below 0 decibels.

It's the business of people like Orfield to pay attention to those noises.

His company engineers sound (and lighting and many other things) for companies as wide ranging as Maytag and Harley-Davidson. Talking to Orfield for a few minutes, the world of acoustics reveals itself. Nothing, it seems, has gone unstudied by sound engineers. A dishwasher, a motorcycle, an airplane engine. These inventions sound the way they do because someone somewhere thought it would mean quality, or strength, or would convince people that the machine was doing what it was supposed to do.

The problem, as Orfield explains it, is this: "How do you make a dishwasher sound very nice and sound like it's washing dishes?"

To answer such questions, Orfield sometimes uses a reverberation room, an echo chamber at his office complex, where sound lingers in the air for up to eight seconds. For others, he uses the anechoic chamber, a studio in which sound dies almost immediately. Nothing reflects off the walls. Engineers use the chamber to test microphones, speakers and hearing aids, among other things.

The chamber is sort of like a Russian nesting doll, a series of boxes place inside each other to deaden the sounds of the outside world. The first and largest box has concrete walls that are a foot thick. Inside them, a smaller room called an overchamber sits above the pit. And inside the pit, floating on steel coil springs, is the anechoic chamber. It measures 20-by-20-by-15-feet on the outside, but just 8-by-10-by-12-feet inside. Most of the difference is taken up by row upon row of 3.3-foot-long fiberglass wedges that point inward. A sound made inside the chamber travels to the walls and gets trapped inside the wedges lining the interior. Nothing reverberates. The sound dies. The result is 150 decibels of sound loss from the outside world to the chamber.

Orfield bought the chamber from a Sunbeam research facility in Schaumberg, Ill. It was loaded onto three semitrailer trucks with the help of the University of Chicago football team, then transported to Minneapolis and kept in storage until Orfield built an addition in 1995 to house the chamber.

Building an anechoic chamber from scratch costs from $100,000 to $500,000, said Jeff Morse, vice president of Eckel Noise Control Technologies, a Massachusetts company that builds them.

The company has constructed more than 500 facilities since 1952. Morse said the quietest anechoic chamber he had ever heard of was at a Hewlett Packard facility, where engineers registered minus-4 decibels. "Even getting into the negative numbers is extremely, extremely quiet," he said.

Step inside Orfield's anechoic chamber and prepare to feel confused. The human ear relies on reverberations from our environment for some of our balance. We know where we are in the world by what we hear. Sound waves bounce off the walls around us and we get a sense of how big a room is. The hush of a car's interior reminds us that we're in a cramped space. Take that pressure away and a person feels lost.

Stepping into an anechoic chamber is not like simply going somewhere that's quiet. The absence of noise, of any noise, even noises that are just below the capacity of human ears, leaves your sense of balance slightly askew.

The brain becomes so confused by the absence of pressure on our ears that it orders the ear to start buzzing, making "auto-emissive sounds," Orfield said.

It was a few moments spent in an anechoic chamber that inspired experimental musician John Cage to write 4'33", a three-movement composition of no sound. Its premiere in 1952 had pianist David Tudor sitting at a piano, the keys left untouched, occasionally turning pages as he glanced at a stopwatch.

Cage said it was his experience in an anechoic chamber that made him realize there was no such thing as silence, for even in the chamber he could hear two sounds, one high and one low. A sound engineer at the Harvard anechoic chamber told him he was hearing his own nervous system (high) and his own blood pumping throughout his body (low).

Creepy, a bit, but then standing in an anechoic chamber feels unlike anything most people have ever experienced. Not even swimming under water matches the noiseless sensation.

Orfield, for his part, said he was surprised that Guinness gave him the designation.

"I had no expectation that I would ever hear from them," he said.
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

I spent 15 or so minutes in an anechoic chamber at the R&D center of the company I work for. Don't know the absolute sound level, but it really was a weird experience. To know there is essentially no sound but yet hear things in your head.

The facility manager said that some people weird-out and can't handle the silence.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Patt
      • Feb 2005

The mid 30's hospital where I worked for 10 years has an ear department in the basement with about 6-10'x10' rooms that are dead quiet with 8" thick doors, like a walk in kitchen freezer.
      After a half hour or more with the door closed a person can hear the blood rushing and lungs breathing, it is an unusual feeling. :E
      ......Pat

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'd like to experience being in a room like this - just once - to know what "silence" really sounds/feels like. Good find Andrew.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
          • May 2003

Cool.

Paradigm also uses one of these when developing speaker technology.
          One of these days i'm going to phone up and request a tour.

Paradigm's Chamber

cheers,
          Mikey
          "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
          -Dark Helmet

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

As some of you know, I went to the Air Force Academy. We had a facility that if I remember right was set up for jet engine testing. At the end of the room, you could actually walk into the zig-zag floor-to-ceiling baffles. If you had a buddy stand in the room and make as much noise as he could, once you got about 5 feet into the baffles you couldn't hear him anymore. It was REALLY strange. Creepy, even, as others have mentioned. Complete absence of sound, and you feel compelled to make some on your own.

I didn't know that 0db was the human threshold, I thought it was absolute silence. Good trivia!
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Eric S
              • Sep 2000

Huh? Could you say that again?? I couldn't hear you over the noise of my kids :B

Cool article - I wonder if you can get a good night's sleep in one of those...
              My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

See if you can hear this post starting now
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Patt
                  • Feb 2005

Eric,
                  Not sure about a whole night but it was the best for a 1/2-1 hr. snooze while working night shift. :B

Sorry Lex.....what did you say? :P
                  ......Pat

Comment

• Eric S
                    • Sep 2000

Patt, Yeah, there is usually some place to hide at work for a nap from time to time...
                    My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• kmak
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2002

I think the anechoic chamber was built by the Canadian government, some Science & Technology Facility in Ottawa. They allow the Canadian speaker companies to rent it, probably at a reduced rate, that may be one of the reasons that our speakers are world renowned.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"