X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluecar
    • Apr 2004

1048 Volume adjustment

I currently use an RMB-976 to drive the zone two output from my 1068. I've just added a fourth pair of zone two speakers and so I was looking at the 1048. The step-down in wattage should be ok and I wouldn't mind the trigger and matching looks.

However, what I'd be missing is the external amplifier pair volume controls that the 976 has. The 1048 seems to have these recessed with the apparent intent of being set once via screwdriver and then left alone. We don't have, nor want to install, volume switches for each remote zone - we like this all centralized.

Has anybody installed any 1048's (or RMB-1066's) with extensions or modifications to the volume pots to allow for frequent adjustment?

TIA,

bluecar
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Pick up one or several of the AMX VX1's on ebay. I've used several when I needed an RCA level volume control.

Look sfor new auctions like this one, or contact this seller as he probably hasn't sold them yet.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
      • Apr 2005

Mr. BlueCar explain again...

Dear Mr. BlueCar
      Please explain again your volume control needs or interests with the 1048

-Andrew ward

Comment

• bluecar
        • Apr 2004

Sure - our equipment is all in the family room where the HT is. The RSP-1068 runs the HT and also the zone 2 speakers spread throughout the house. Today we have three pairs of zone 2 speakers driven by an RMB-976 six channel amp. The nice thing about the 976 is that it has three mini volume knobs on the front panel that control the output (volume) of each amplifier pair. So, the left knob is for upstairs, the middle knob is for the sunroom and the right knob is for the basement. We like this centralized control of volume and do not want remote volume switches or remotes.

This year I'm finally getting around to putting up a pair of outdoor speakers so I need another pair of amp channels. I don't want another amp in the stack (heresy, I know). Rotel makes a nice eight channel amp for this purpose, the RMB-1048. The problem as I see it is that the volume controls on the 1048 are recessed into the cooling fins and require a slot screwdriver to adjust. Clearly the amp was designed to be adjusted at installation time and then controlled by some other method.

I've been to almost ten Rotel dealers and not one has an RMB-1048 or RMB-1066 in stock so that I could take a close look at it. These are usually sold for custom install jobs so they don't have them on the display shelves. What I'd like to do is sell the RMB-976 and buy the RMB-1048 if I can modify it's volume knobs to be family friendly. I know it's a long shot but I was hoping that somebody might have done or seen this type of a modification.

Obviously if I can't do this I'll have to either add more equipment as per Kevin D's suggestion or use some sort of switch between the amp and speakers.

Thanks,

Bluecar

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"