X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pedalmike
    • Jan 2002

Zone 2 questions

Do any members have any "second zone" experience with your RDC-7? I do not have the optional IR kit for Zone 2, but my second room is very close by and I was hoping I could control Zone 2 volume from the Front Panel of the RDC-7.

When I hook up my amp and speakers, and select a zone 2 input, I get a constant level of sound (loud) from the selected input and no ability to control the volume. Am I doing something wrong here?

The RDC-7 manual is not very specific about controlling volume in Zone 2.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

The reason the manual doesn't really say anything about controlling Zone 2 volume via the RDC-7's controls is due to the Zone 2 output being "constant":

======== Quote from page 26 of Owner Manual ===========

Connecting the main and remote zones

The ZONE 2 terminal is a constant output. Connect to the LINE input of the amplifier (CD, tape, etc.). Adjust the volume with the amplifier connected to the ZONE 2 terminal.
    I'm afraid Integra Research's designed use of the Zone 2 requires that your Zone 2 amplifier be an integrated amp with selectable line level inputs and a volume control.

However, two other alternatives occur to me:

1) If the selected input component has a volume control, it could be adjusted "upstream" of the RDC-7 while being used for Zone 2 playback, or,

2) you could insert a line-level volume attenuation device between the RDC-7's Zone 2 output and the Zone 2 power amp's input, such as the one made by Niles. http://www.onecall.com/PID_773.htm (I am NOT recommending that you buy it from OneCall, since they won't let you return it if it doesn't work out the way you expect, but at least they have the product information online) which retails there for $65 -- although via another site, OneCall also quotes it for a bit less. (So much for the "free shipping" on their own site.) :>)
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/one-call/accessories-audio-accessories-custom-install-niles.html.

I have not yet connected anything for Zone 2. Fortunately, I have an integrated amp on hand which I plan to employ for Zone 2 duty when I get things rearranged a bit. (It is the Yamaha DSP-A3090 that I had been using as my "pre/pro" before I invested in the RDC-7.) I will also NOT be using the IR kit, since the second room is right behind the HT and I can pass the cable through the wall directly from the HT rack to the stand in the other room where the amp will be located using a six foot cable. (I should also be able to bounce the Yammie's remote signal off a wall into the next room.) :>)

I hope one of the alternatives for Zone 2 operation proves feasible for you.

Good luck!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• pedalmike
      • Jan 2002

Burke:
      Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have a Yamaha Integrated amp whose inputs I connected this morning to the RDC-7's Zone 2 Audio Outs.

This arrangement works just fine in my second room. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"