X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cofn
    • Dec 2002

1098 calibration weirdness, am I crazy?

Well I am doing a full calibration today, and thought things sounded a little strange. So when doing test tone I put my ear up to the center back speakers, and sure enogh, big problems.

I was using VE and when I am going through the test tones for my ceter back speakers, there is no sound at all. The weird part is, when I have the tone on RS, or LS, I get a combined sound from the CB spekaers, but when I select center back by them selves. Nothing. This only happens in DTS Discrete, but the same sort of symptoms are present in DD Ex and DTS matrixed. IN DDEX and DTS MA the center backs are shared with the RS and LS, even when the test tone is on CB, I get a full signal to the RS and LS. Not sure what to do here. Is the unit defective? Anyone else have this problem? I just got it yesterday, I would hate to have it sent back for service already. Ugh!

Kris
  • cofn
    • Dec 2002

Well throgh more calibrating, I think I understand what the issue may be. When playing with the DD EX tones, the system was locking into DD + XS Not DD EX. When I forced it to DDEX, I get discrete center back channels. BUT, this still doesn't help with DTS. It seems the 1098 is not locking onto the DTS ES MAtrixed siganl at all. I only have the option of DTS + XS or DTS Downmix, but not Matrixed. As for DTS Discrete, still no luck. The 1098 locks onto the Discrete flag, but no matter what I try, still no CB discrete. From the DDEX test, I know it is possible to get CB discrete, but can't figure why the 1098 won't do this proper. I even tried a different cable to my DVD player, Both Optical and Coaxial, and still no different results.

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

All I can say is "hang in there". I just got my 1098 this week and although I have not encountered the problems you are having, I have had a bunch as well. The 1098, you'll find, is certainly NOT a "plug 'n play" device and you'll need to do a bunch of tweaking before you can sit down and really enjoy all it has to offer (which is a lot - otherwise we wouldn't have bought the thing!). It sucks because you're all jacked up about your new "gem" & you want to start enjoying it right away but unfortunately with this unit, patience is in order. After a few days of tweaking and setting, I am starting to really enjoy the 1098 though I think I still have a software issue because of incompatibility between progressive "yes" & the OSD.

Good luck!

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• cofn
        • Dec 2002

Well I have seemingly exhausted all my resources on this Discrete issue. I have Even tried a second DVD player, with no success. I stopped by my dealer tonight, and they unfortunately did not have a calibration disc on hand. So I am going down there Tuesday to see it the Display unit has the same problem, if it doesn't then I guess my unit is off to the service department, which would really piss me off as it is not even 24 hours old.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

how are you trying to calibrate the surround back channel with a test disc? I'll try and replicate it on mine once I get the details.

Comment

• cofn
            • Dec 2002

Hey Andrew,

Here's the scoop, on the VE disk, I went into the DTS section, and did a channel balance for DTS ES 6.1 Discrete. From here select the next speaker till you get to the Center back speakers. I get no test tone at that point.

Secondly, go to the DTS ES 6.1 Matrixed balance, and try to get the signal to lock onto DTS ES Matrixed with the sur+ button. By default for me anyways, it locks onto DTS + XS, I try hitting Sur+ and all I get as an alternative is DTS Downmix. No DTS ES Matrixed.

I will be heading to our local dealer on Tuesday to verify if there in store disaply has this problem. Not sure what to hope for. If the store's 1098 and yours displays the same symptoms, then all the 1098's likely do, and maybe there is a simple Firmware fix coming. Or on the flipside, maybe just my 1098 if buggered.

Hopefully you will have a cpl free minutes tomorrow to check it out, I will check the forum regularly throughout the day.

Comment

• cofn
              • Dec 2002

Have you had a chance to have a listen yet Andrew? Sorry to bug, but this is driving me nuts.

Kris

Comment

• JP
                • Feb 2003

Is that th enew VE??

i didn't think the old one had test tones for 6.1

let me know because i know the HD VE was scheduled to come out.

thanks!

Comment

• cofn
                  • Dec 2002

Hey JP.

I bought the disc last year around September or October I think. I asssure you it does indeed have test tones for DTS ES MAtrixed as well as Discrete. It can be found here http://www.ovationsw.com/htt_toc.html on Ovations website.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Cofn that's the Sound and Vision version of Avia Guide to Home Theater not Video Essentials which confused me since VE and regular Avia do not have 6.1 test tones.

I don't have that disc (I have Avia) so I can't replicate your test with that disc but listening to a regular CD in 7 channel mode gives me a rear surround channel as does pro logic II so I think its working ok. I'll try Star Wars EPII tomorrow and force it into EX mode and see that it gives me the rear channel.

Comment

• cofn
                      • Dec 2002

Sorry about the disc confusion Andrew, my bad.

I have been able to get sound to the 2 Center back speakers no problem in DD EX and 7 channel stereo as well, just seems to be DTS Discrete. The odd thing is I have popped in a couple movies that are DTS Discrete (Gladiator, Austin Powers 3) and they both come through the 2 center back speakers as well. I just cant seem to get a dedicated test tone through those speakers in Discrete.

I emailed Rotel, and they are looking into it and will run some tests and let me know what they find on Tuesday. Thanx for the help, and I will let you know the results from my trip to Advance tomorrow night.

Comment

• cofn
                        • Dec 2002

Hi all

Just got back from my local dealer, and it does turn out there is an issue with the DTS ES Discrete decoding to the Center Backs. I was able to recreate the issue I have been having on their demo unit, to the huge surprise of the sales man by the way. So I have emailed my findings to Rotel, I also emailed them this weekend to let them know there may be an issue. They were going to test this out over the weekend and email me back on Tuesday, but they have yet to email back. I take this as a sign they may have found the issue and are deciding how to proceed.

For the record, I have firmware v1.1.0-030626, and the demo unit was the previous firmware v1.1.0-030521. So this leads me to believe this is a little more widespread.

I will keep you all informed once I haer back from Rotel.

And I emplore you all to test this out if you have the Sound and Video, HT Tune up disc. Thanx

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Interesting...I assume the sound and vision disc has the signal encoded properly but I guess that's a possible explination as well however unlikely.

Comment

• cofn
                            • Dec 2002

I would say 100% unlikely, as I had calibrated the 1066 with it and had no such problems. The flags were picked up just fine on it. So I can only conclude that it is the 1098. :cry:

Comment

• cofn
                              • Dec 2002

Just giving an update of, well still no update. Spoke to Tim a few more times, and all there Rotel crew seems to be at this Cedia thing, so they haven't had much time to look into this issue. This is actually starting to piss me off a little. Take 5 mins and pop a dvd in and try it out on their test models.

On a side note, Andrew, would you be interested in getting together. I could lend you the Sound and Vision disc to see if you also have an issue. I am hoping not as you have a different firmware then the rest of us.

Kris

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Cofn I'd be very interested in getting together. Send me an email and we'll talk.

As for Rotel please understand that they're a very small outfit and since they're at CEDIA it will take some time to get requests like this sorted out. It's not that they don't care just that they'll be logging some major long days working both the booths and attending meetings/conferences and other networking type events.

Comment

• xavierzx11
                                  • Aug 2003

cofn,

I have run into some similar problems using S&V's test disc. The internal test tone from the Rotel works fine. And my 1098 locks on to DTS discrete DVD's fine. I think the S&V test disc has a problem with some Rotel software. I had the same thing happen when using it with a very early version of the 1066 (right when it came out). I sold that unit and later bought it again. The newer 1066, I never tried that disc on it. I plan to buy the new VE when it's released. I'll see if that has the same problem.

Paul

"Everyone has to have a hobby!"
                                  "Everyone has to have a hobby!"

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"