X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fnou2
    • Aug 2003

Settings issues with 6.1

Hi,

I have problem setting the speaker’s level for a 6.1 use.

I have an rsp 1066, rmb 1075 and KEF speakers.

I used a setup disk from Avia that provide reference tones for Dolby digital ex 6.1, DTS es discrete 6.1 and DTS es matrixed 6.1. What I have found is that if I set up the system with the dolby digital ex, the relative level for DTS discrete is correct (but louder) but the level for the REAR channels in DTS Matrixed 6.1 is lower of about 2db. I could use the internal test tone of the rsp 1066 but I do not know what it correspond to (DD or DTS). Is that normal and if it is normal how can I switch form a program in DTS es to DTS es discrete without having to recalibrate the speakers every time.

If I use the xs processing (or ex) to create the REAR back channel how should I set up the speakers? Like a DTS ES or DTS ES discrete?

Thank You for your help.

Frederic
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Frederick,

Just a quick thought, based on information provided, how are you running 6.1 channels with just a 5 channel amp. Is there any equipment missing in your previous post?

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• fnou2
      • Aug 2003

Azeke,

Thank You for your reply.

I forgot to mention that I have a Nakamichi Amp (5 channels) that i use for a second zone and to power the extra speaker.

The system works. I try Musa : the warrior (6.1 dts) and their is sound coming from the rear speaker.

My surround speakers are KEF 2ds dipoles.
      The rear speaker is a psb 8c (usually a central speaker).

Did you experience the same problem?

Frederic

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Frederick,

I experienced some part of your problem. However I've learned that a couple of keys to configuring HT is not only speaker calibration, but also proper adjustment of the delay channels, (based on room dimensions, acoustics,speaker placement, etc.).

Tweak the delay settings and perhaps enable the panoramic mode.

Just my quick thoughts.

Hope this helps,

Azeke
        Last edited by Azeke; 22 May 2004, 07:26 Saturday.

Comment

• fnou2
          • Aug 2003

Clarification

I think I have not been very clear on my question.
          I am fairly experienced in setting up a HT system (I believe). I am an engineer and I read etc…

The question I am asking is I believe not trivial.

I set up my system using delay, volume, crossover etc..
          I used a SPL from Radio Shack and test discs. I have two Test discs and when I set up my system for 5.1 there is no issues whatsoever.

When I set up my system for 6.1, I used the only disc that I have that has Dolby Digital ex test tone, DTS matrix es and dts discrete es test tones.

I initially used the Dolby digital ex test tones.
          To make it simple my internal level settings were then (equal sound volume measured using the test tone with the SPL):

Front Left (FL) - odb
          Venter (C) – +1db
          Front Right (FR) – 0db
          Right Surround (RS) - +2db
          Left Surround (LS) - +1 db
          Centre Back (CB) 0db

Then to further my testing I used the DTS discrete es test tones. Without changing anything the volume measured by the SPL was the same for all speakers.

When I tried the DTS matrix ES then the volume for FL, C, FR and CB was the same but the volume for RS and LS was lower by 2db.

I can increase my internal setting for RS and LS by 2 db but then if I use DTS discrete es or DD ex the volume for RS and LS will be too high by 2db.

Anybody has any idea what is happening.

My hypotheses are:

The test tones are false: but in that case I should not be the only one having those problems (the disk is the Home Theater set up disc done by AVIA in collaboration with a magazine) /In that case which sound test is false then?

My pre amp (1066) has a problem. In that case how can I be sure?

There is no way we can set up correctly matrix and discrete format at the same time? This is maybe not as far fetched since you can barely find set up disc that include test tones for all the formats. And I believe most of the people including technician probably use only one format to set up a system.

Anybody has any idea?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"