X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TonyStarks
    • Aug 2003

RSP-1098 DTS ES issue

Hey Guys!,

I have a 1098, 1095 & a 1075. I have just finished off my theatre room (pics comming shortly) and my side speakers are running off the 1075, and the front, centre and rear are running off the 1095.

I know you can manullay adjust the surround format but, last night when I put in a DD EX disk i had sound from my sides and when i changed the sound formats i had DD + XS and the rest which is fine and theres no issues there, but when i put in a DTS ES disk I had no sound from the sides, also when i tried to manually change the surround format I had only 2 options, DTS downmix and DTS ES, i didnt even have DTS + XS. So there it is, after a 3 month build I cant even enjoy it properly. I thought I would mention I have had the 1098 firmware updated to the latest version.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

What firmware are you running, is it the latest firmware for your version?
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• TonyStarks
      • Aug 2003

The latest version, whatever that is.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

There are two flavors of DTS-ES.. Matrix and discrete. Discrete is 6.1 channels and that's what you get. You have the option to downmix it into 5.1 channels, but nothing else. Matrix works just like DD-EX. You can run it 5.1, 6.1, 5.1 with XS, or 5.1 with PLIIx.

In a 7 channel setup, your 'side' speakers are still the most important. The 'center rears' are the effects. With PLIIx this has changed more to all four being equal. But far the most part the 'sides' are the old 'rear' and new center rears added.

I say this because you state you are using your 1075 for the sides, and the 1095 for the rears. That should be the other way. If you have more available power for two channels, put them on the sides. It kind of appears you have your rear's and sides reversed. (unless you are running more than one pair of side speakers thus running 4 channels of the 1075)

So tying both together: You picked a DTS-ES that didn't have much center rear info (the sixth channel). You couldn't change to anything else because it's ES-Discrete. You had rear info (truely your center rears), but not center rear info (truely your side) because they used ES-Discrete but chose not to mix much in there.

Just throwing things out there. You probably have your side/rears done correctly and still have a problem, but at least I can explain why you couldn't chose XS or PLIIx on your DTS-ES disc..

Kevin D.

Comment

• TonyStarks
          • Aug 2003

Thanks for that Kevin. Just to clear up. I have a pair at the rear and a pair on the side. the 1075 drives the pair on the side, & the 1095 drives the pair at the rear. So basically what u are saying is that my sides are the new rears and I should change my wiring around, and my backs are the new effects speakers. So basically swaping them around. So if I have a 5.1 DTS disk can i change the surround format to say DTS + XS or does that not exist? The disk i tried was Lord of The Rings Two Towers.

Is this correct?

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Correct. Sides go to the REAR outputs, rears go to the CB outputs. I would use the 1095 for the side speakers, so leave the RCA's alone and swap the speaker cables.

If you have 5.1 DTS disc (or DTS-ES Matrix) you can choose DTS+XS.

If you do not have the option of choosing DD + PLIIx or DTS + PLIIx, I question whether you have completed the entire upgrade proceedure. Hold down mute and let us know what version you are at. There are several options and more mistakes that can be made during the process. If you were at 1.XX, you did not have PLIIx installed. You would only be able to upgrade to the highest 1.XX version. You can put the latest 2.XX version on there, but you would have to apply an eeprom upgrade first (to add the PLIIx code). If you have a 3.XX or 4.xx version, you had the PLIIx code to begin with.

I say this because PLIIx is 1000% better then XS. XS was Rotel's version of getting 7 channels out of a 5.1 mix. It takes the information on the right/left surrounds, adds it together, then spits it out mono to the center back speakers. This leaves the same left/right signal and copies it to the center back. PLIIx will actually apply an algorythem to the rear signals, splitting it out into 4 separate channels of sound. With PLIIx, XS is useless.

Kevin D.

Comment

• TonyStarks
              • Aug 2003

Hey Kevin,

I do have the PLIIx update, I had my 1098 updated to the lastest firmware last week, as I am at work I cannot tell you the version, when I get home I will have a look. Looks like I have a bit of playing around to do tonight. But yeh I hope that I get sound from the CB's then cause im a bit worried when i couldnt hear anything on a DTS ES disk, I even had the two towers playing so I would be able to hear something.

Thanks for you're help there Kevin & Pewter. I'll let you guys know how I go.

Kevin what problem could I have then when I do connect it correctly and I do put a DTS ES disk in and still get now sound?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Tony,

Can you play any DTS sound track? The reason I ask is that some DVD players don't output DTS by default (there is a DTS on/off setting). This is becuase many older recievers and processors couldn't play DTS and therefore didn't recognise it - putting out a very lound hiss that could break speakers instead... So if you aren't getting any DTS - check your DVD Players setup menu (not the DVD, the players)...

Geoff

Comment

• TonyStarks
                  • Aug 2003

Thanks Geoff,

My DVD was fine from the begining, its just that that i was'nt hearing the surround effects. All is good now THANK GOD!!

Thanks Kevin for you're great info really helped me understand the way it works and now my system is running the way it should be. I swapped the cables around and now it sounds sweet!

Much appreciated you guys for taking the time out to help a fellow rotel nut out! I have also posted some pics of my room. Still waiting on curtains which should arrive this week. My carpet just got layed yesterday. Hope you guys enjoy them, still some minor things to do. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, positive or negative.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"