X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonb68
    • Jan 2003

RSX-1055 - how hot does yours get?

Hi, I sent this email to Rotel support a while back and have not seen a reply, but I get a lot of spam so may have deleted it by mistake. Anyway I thought I'd run it past you guys to see if your units run as hot.

"I have a Rotel RSX-1055, roughly 20 months old and after a recent re-arrange of my rack my unit is now at the top and I have noticed that certain parts of it get very hot after, for example, playing a DVD. In particular the centre area of the top plate above the line of heatsinks becomes almost too hot to touch. Considering the amount of heat these heatsinks must be giving off to heat the top plate to this degree, the components around them must be receiving some very high temperatures. I was wondering if this was indicative of a problem or if this was normal and expected behaviour. I play DVDs at about volume level 55 and use pre-outs for the front left and right and centre to an RB-993."

Thanks
    Simon
  • sdecker
    • Jun 2002

Hi Simon

I use a 1055 as a preamp only and it sits on top of my rack. It never gets more than slightly warm, even after hours of cranking tunes.

If I remember right, it never got anywhere near "too hot to touch" even when I was using the 1055's internal amps.

Earle

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Too hot too touch sounds a little too warm for the 1056. How much ventilitation is there above it? What else is in the gear rack below it?

Comment

• lmib
        • Jul 2004

Cold as ice

My 1055 stay's cold as ice. It's the first AV Receiver I have, that does not get warm, even after hours of listening on high volumes. The Test I read on german stereoplay, said the same ,and it was also an additional criteria for me why I bought it. They (stereoplay) said the reason for the coolness is, the classical construction. I'm not able to explain it in technical correct terms. I'm sure there must be somtething broken on your 1055. You better send it back to Rotel, to let it be checked for the heating.

I hope they can help.

CiaĆ³ lmib
        lmib

Comment

• simonb68
          • Jan 2003

Thanks folks for the replies. It's on the top shelf in the open, nothing, not even a shelf, above it. I used to occasionally put my hand on the top as far as it would reach when it was on a lower shelf, but can't remember if I got as far back as the heatsinks.

The unit directly below it is the DVD player, which gets slightly warm, but certainly not hot, then under that are the RB-991 (not used at the moment) then the RB-993, which does get hot, but that's acceptable from what I have heard and read.

I'm wondering whether it's something connected to it, perhaps causing a short, would this explain the overheat?

I'll think I'll ping Rotel again, they may well have replied, if not I'll give them a nudge.

Thanks again
          Simon

Comment

• Rcovell
            • Dec 2002

Simon
            My 1055 powers mostly my modest HT system of 5 B&W speakers. After watching a movie, the top of the unit gets hot, just as yours does, though I would not say too hot to touch. It's the top component in a glass doored rack with an open back. I leave the door cracked open a bit to help ventilate.
            Interestingly, I just returned it to my place of purchase, after 2 years of ownership, because it was cutting out on the audio sections. The service dept. suggested it sounded like a power supply problem. I wonder if that could be related to heat? They're going to ship it to Rotel to get it fixed. They did give my a 'loaner' in the meantime, so I'm not dead in the water.
            Bob.

Comment

• simonb68
              • Jan 2003

Bob, thanks for your input, that sounds more like what I am experiencing. I have noticed the unit not getting quite as hot recently, maybe its the seasonal change. I have asked Rotel again for their thoughts, I'll see what they say.

Hope you get yours all fixed soon.

Simon

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"