X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • turbokuo
    • Feb 2005

What's a good match for my B&W 804's?

I'm a home audio newbie and currently have a 9 year old Yamaha receiver that outputs 80 watts per channel. I'm thinking about tossing this so which Rotel products do I need to buy to get this puppy (804's) cranking the way they should? I mostly listen at moderate sound levels therefore I think the 200 watt amps/receivers are overkill and out of my budget.

Should I just get the RX 1052 (100 watts) and then I'm set? Or should I do the different component route (get the RA 1070) which I know nothing about (don't know the difference between pre/pro, integrated amps vs amps). Am I able to use this new amp with my existing receiver or is this not a good idea? I need major help!!!!
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Just because you don't listen at loud volumes doesn't mean you can't benefit from a 200watt amp. The 200 watt amp can give you the subtle little things at low volumes that you normally miss out on until you crank it.

The Rx-1052 will do decent with the 804s, but I think you'll still be lacking power to really make the 804s sing. I would definitely go for the RB-1080 if you can afford it, then go with a nice pre like the RC-1090.

Now I'm taking it you are looking for a stereo setup over a HT set up sice you mentioned the 1052. Remember the FST Mid on the 804s love to have power and I would hate to see you not be happy with them due to a lack of power.

...but it all depends on what fits in your budget.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• turbokuo
      • Feb 2005

Just because you don't listen at loud volumes doesn't mean you can't benefit from a 200watt amp. The 200 watt amp can give you the subtle little things at low volumes that you normally miss out on until you crank it.

Thank you. Didn't know this!!!

The Rx-1052 will do decent with the 804s, but I think you'll still be lacking power to really make the 804s sing. I would definitely go for the RB-1080 if you can afford it, then go with a nice pre like the RC-1090.

What do you used to connect these two pieces of equipment? Also let me get this straight. All the audio sources will plug into the pre (RC-1090) and then the 1090 is somehow connected to the RB-1080 which is connected to the B&W's via speaker wires?

Now I'm taking it you are looking for a stereo setup over a HT set up sice you mentioned the 1052. Remember the FST Mid on the 804s love to have power and I would hate to see you not be happy with them due to a lack of power.

I'm using my setup for music and HT but I only want to drive the sound through 2 front speakers. So what's the difference between getting an all-in-one reciever vs. breaking the components out??? Is the only benifit of components for upgradability or are there other benifits such as better sound quality, given the same wattss and brand???

Thanks a Bunch!!!

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by turbokuo

What do you used to connect these two pieces of equipment? Also let me get this straight. All the audio sources will plug into the pre (RC-1090) and then the 1090 is somehow connected to the RB-1080 which is connected to the B&W's via speaker wires?

I'm using my setup for music and HT but I only want to drive the sound through 2 front speakers. So what's the difference between getting an all-in-one reciever vs. breaking the components out??? Is the only benifit of components for upgradability or are there other benifits such as better sound quality, given the same wattss and brand???

Thanks a Bunch!!!

Okay here's my answers...

You will connect the 1090 to the 1080 via coaxial RCA connections. Similar to what you would connect a CD player to the Pre Processor with (but you want a decent coaxial cable).

Now if you are looking for HT from two speakers, you then have two options.

A) Plan for the future and by something like the RSP-1068 or RSP-1098 that will allow for future surround sound and DD and DTS decoding (as well as a lot more).

B)Plan to only stick with the two channel and go with something like the RC-1090, but not have the ability to go for surround sound in the future. Plus you have to downmix all sound from your DVD player through the analog audio connections (for DD/DTS/PCM).

It all depends on where you money can take you. But a word to the wise, try to play more for the future as much as you can stretch the money for. In the long run you'll be happier.

I think the RSP-1068 and RB-1080 would do you wonders for now. Then you can add something like the RMB-1075 or 1095 later down the road when you'd want to get a Center/Surrounds.

...but again, it's your money and how much you can afford and what you have planned for the future.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

The 804's are fantastic speakers and deserve no less then the rb1080 mated with the RC1070 or 90. Remember the better sounding spekaers you own , the better gear you will need to run the correctly. Forget about the intergrade , if you have cdms or dms then yes go that route but since you own the N series, Seperates are the only way to go in my opnion.

Dan

Comment

• turbokuo
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dmantis
            The 804's are fantastic speakers and deserve no less then the rb1080 mated with the RC1070 or 90. Remember the better sounding spekaers you own , the better gear you will need to run the correctly. Forget about the intergrade , if you have cdms or dms then yes go that route but since you own the N series, Seperates are the only way to go in my opnion.

Dan
            Thanks Dan just what I needed to hear.

Comment

• Mark_C.
              • Jan 2003

Separates aren't the only way to go. I've had N804s in a two-channel system for four years powered by a Classe CAP-101. That's a 100-watt-per channel integrated amp. Despite what many here say, the 804s are not difficult speakers to drive (89db). Believe me, I pestered three B&W dealers asking if I would be able to tell the difference powering the speakers with a 200 wpc amp. Knowing what I was using, all three dealers said it was a waste of time and money. Stick with the Classe, they said. So I have and haven't regretted it a bit.

Comment

• turbokuo
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mark_C.
                Separates aren't the only way to go. I've had N804s in a two-channel system for four years powered by a Classe CAP-101. That's a 100-watt-per channel integrated amp. Despite what many here say, the 804s are not difficult speakers to drive (89db). Believe me, I pestered three B&W dealers asking if I would be able to tell the difference powering the speakers with a 200 wpc amp. Knowing what I was using, all three dealers said it was a waste of time and money. Stick with the Classe, they said. So I have and haven't regretted it a bit.
                Marc what's the difference between a integrated amp and a reciever?

Comment

• Mark_C.
                  • Jan 2003

Like a receiver, and integrated amp has inputs for multiple sources. However, unlike a receiver (A/V), an integrated does not accommodate video inputs nor does it have a built-in radio.

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

Mark C,
                    as I do agree with you with the Classe gear but with Rotel I believe there sepreates are so affordable I don't see the need to save a few pennies here when owning the 804's.

In my experience with B&W , the better high current amp you have driving them (alot to do with brand matching ) the better they perform. I also find B&K to sound even better driving the 804's then Rotel. Matching speakers sonic signature to gear is key. I had the pleasure of demoing the 804's on different setups in the same store and found different results.

Classe intergraded are so sweet and I feel they are on a different level then Rotel. Not taking anything away from Rotel but Classe in my opnion is better electronics.

Dan

Comment

• DrBoom
                      • Dec 2003

First time I ever heard 804's was on a Classé CAP151 integrated amp.
                      In my opinion this is still a very hard to beat combination, sadly the 151 doesn't exist anymore and is currently replaced by the 2x as expensive CAP2100.
                      I would still like to comment on your amplifier choice, I feel the least you can get to do any justice at all to the 804's is an RC1090 with RB1080.
                      Don't buy a $1000 integrated amp for $4000 speakers, it just doesn't cut it.
                      Not talking about power here, but about sound quality.
                      You went through the trouble to buy good and expensive speakers, now don't skimp on the amplifier and ruin everything.

Comment

• jlee
                        • Aug 2004

Agree with Dr. Boom, RB-1080 is the lowest you should go with N804's.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"