X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vifferboy
    • Mar 2007

RC1090 volume dial blue LED not working

Hello

I just picked up a RC1090 from Audiogon, the unit is in excellent condition and sounds very nice. I had an RC1070 before which always seemed a bit bright to me, the RC1090 is very smooth.

Anyway the one small downer on the deal is that the seller failed to mention that the blue volume dial LED is not working. Has anyone has ever replaced an LED? I'm wondering if it might be something I could do myself with the right instructions.

Regards

Steve
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Are you sure it's supposed to light? I believe all the silver 10 series rotel had a blue ring around the volume control, but it was not a lighted control. I believe it's just the blue painted (well plastic) ring.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• vifferboy
      • Mar 2007

Nope I'm sure...

There is a little blue led inside the volume knob, you see it (when illuminated) as a little blue 'dot' on the side front surface of the volume knob.

I was unsure too but my RC1070 had one and I saw a RC1090 on Youtube and the led was clearly visable.

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I don't think there's an LED in there, just a blue dot that looks like one when you photograph it with a flash.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

On my black RC-1090 I do have a red LED on the volume dial.

Comment

• vifferboy
            • Mar 2007

I spoke to the seller he didn't notice the led was out before he sold it. I wonder if somthing worked loose inside during it's trip in the mail to the Great White North.

I'll open it up when I get home and see if there is anything obvious. If not there is an excellent approved Rotel service shop not far from my home so I'll take it by there for them to check out. It can't be too expesive to have a little LED replaced ...

Comment

• BWzes03
              • Oct 2005

Yep, indeed there is a LED in the volume knob, which is supposed to be on at all times, and when mute is activated from the remote control, the LED should be flashing....

Comment

• BWLover
                • Jan 2009

my rc1072 has a blue LED in the nob as well. not the ring around it, but in the nob to tell you where you are on the clock. i.e. 10 o'clock
                Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                Playstation 3
                Shaw HD PVR
                Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

mmm, OK, sorry, I stand corrected! Lots of people think the blue ring is illuminated, and it isn't.
                  I'd have Rotel check it out as they're not so far away from you.
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• vifferboy
                    • Mar 2007

I had a peek inside the RC1090 last night and the led is connected to the main board by a thin cable that disappears into a small slot in the fascia circuit board. The connection to the main board was okay and I didn't fancy taking the unit apart further...

So I dropped the unit into the local Rotel service centre Ontario Audio Video Service. I took my old RCD855 there a couple of times in the past and they have always done an excellent job.

I probably won't get the unit back for about three weeks (hopefully before Christmas) but they will repair the led and do a full check and clean of the unit which is perhaps not a bad way to begin my ownership of it. In the meantime I still have my RC1070...

Comment

• BWLover
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by mjb
                      mmm, OK, sorry, I stand corrected! Lots of people think the blue ring is illuminated, and it isn't.
                      I'd have Rotel check it out as they're not so far away from you.
                      no no no lol, its not the blue ring were talking about. its the little notch psychically on the nob. your right the ring is not, its just painted blue. But the notch is illuminated. here is a pic...

Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                      Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                      Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                      Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                      Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                      Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                      Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                      Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                      Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                      Playstation 3
                      Shaw HD PVR
                      Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"