X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KAP
    • Jan 2005

Heat and Hum from my RSX-1067 Normal?

While I await the arrival of the RSX-1067 that is supposed to not have the crackling/popping issue, I have a couple other concerns that hopefully you guys can address:

When the Volume is at any level higher than "0", there is a distinct Humm, coming from all 5 speakers. This occurs even in 2 Channel Stereo mode.

Yesterday I was listening to music in 5 Channel Stereo and noticed how extremely hot the 1067 gets. When I turned off the CD player, I could hear a fan running in the Rotel. I then touched the top of the Rotel and actually got a bit of a burn on my hand.

The system was all professionally wired and installed.

I'm very concerned about these two issues. Do you think the replacement unit will not have this problems?
  • Scherr
    • Dec 2003

The hum issue has been discussed in other threads. Others have noticed this as well.

How much clearance do you have above the 1067? The manual to the 1056 recommends at least 4" of clearance. My 1056 sits on the top shelf and is cool to the touch.

Scott

Comment

• KAP
      • Jan 2005

The 1067 sits on the bottom shelf of a completely open rack. Essentially it has 18" clearance on all sides. The glass shelf above it is probably 5 inches higher. I really think I could cook on this thing. This doesn't seem kosher!!!!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Why do you need to go above zero?

Comment

• KAP
          • Jan 2005

Andrew, I haven't adjusted the audio settings. They were set up by my installer. However, now that you mention it, that brings up another question.

Currently "zero" is no volume at all. When I turn the volume knob up to "1" the hmmm starts.

Between 1 and 40 (or thereabouts) there is no sound coming from the speakers. I literally have to turn the knob a gazillion times to go from "zero" up to any sound at all.

As I said, I haven't done any configuring to the volume settings, but that seems odd.

Comment

• KAP
            • Jan 2005

I suppose this would eliminate having to turn the knob so much...

"VOL SPEED: Provides three options for how
            rapidly the volume control responds to inputs.
            The SLOW setting adjusts the volume 1dB with
            each control input. The MID setting adjusts in
            2dB increments. The FAST setting adjusts in
            3dB increments."

However, I still don't understand the humm when the volume is set to any level higher than the minimum of "zero." What am I missing?

Comment

• Scherr
              • Dec 2003

I think something is wrong with the receiver. With that kind of clearance, it should not get that hot.

Scott

Comment

• KAP
                • Jan 2005

I hope that the heat issue is specific to my unit. Hopefully, the new 1067 won't have the popping/crackling or the heat. That leaves the hmmm problem. It is very annoying and I don't understand why the hmmm would come from the surrounds while in 2 channel mode. Strange.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Sorry temp brain fart on that question...not sure what I was really thinking ops:

The receivers will run rather warm if your speakers are of lower impedance but they shouldn't get too hot to touch which yours sounds like it is. I've noticed on my 1098 that when it got too hot it would make strange noises as well but now that its running cool (I moved an amp and gave it more breathing room) all is well. Hopefully your new 1067 will run cooler which should help some of the noise issues. Also do you have cable or Dish/DirecTV installed?

Comment

• KAP
                    • Jan 2005

Andrew,

Yes I have a Sony HD300 DirecTV receiver hooked up as well as a Denon 2910 Universal DVD player. My speakers are Paradigm Studio 40's, CC-570 and the ADP-470 Surrounds.

The hmmmm is with with all sources........DVD, Satellite, Tuner.

I must say, that when I turn the volume up and take the hmmm out of the equation...........I think the system sounds very good. I hope that the replacement 1067 corrects all the problems, because I would love to stick with Rotel. I think the 1067 pairs well with the Paradigms.

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

The fans on the 1067 are on the bottom, make sure you have plenty of room around the bottom sides (no wires bunching up, etc), or else it could be recycling warm air.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Markus
                        • Oct 2004

I also heared a slight hum when I got my RSX-1067. The same behaviour as you described (for all levels above zero, even in bypass mode). First this was not so disturbing but after two months when I've heard some music at lower levels I returned it to Rotel. There they changed the ground lines inside the Receiver and the hum has be gone when the unit came back.

Seems to be a problem with electromagnetic fields from the power supply.

Maybe this helps,

Markus.

Comment

• KAP
                          • Jan 2005

The 1067 has no wires bunched up near it on any side. This is really bizzare. Last night I went downstairs. The 1067 had been in standby mode for 24 hours. So the power was off and the blue standby light was on.........here is what was odd. The "zone" light on the front display remains lit, and the top of the 1067 was still EXTREMELY warm!!!!!

Why would it be warm when not being used? I'm confused.

Comment

• Mark_C.
                            • Jan 2003

Did you turn the zone 2 off? On my RSP 1066, I physically turn off Zone 2 via On screen display. Otherwise, the unit is "on'' even when it's off.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Does the hum go away when you unplug the coax cable coming in from the dish on the DirecTV? Typically that's the source of the problem and there's easy ways to fix that if that is in fact what's the source of the problem

Comment

• KAP
                                • Jan 2005

Guys, interesting ideas. When I get home, I will make sure that Zone 2 is definitely "shut off".

Also, I'll disconnect the Satellite Cable as you suggest, Andrew, to see if the Hmmmm goes away.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

You could also try teaching it the words to the song

Comment

• basementjack
                                    • Dec 2004

Hey Kap, you might have hit the zone button on the 1050 remote by mistake.

look at your front panel when you hit it, it should alternate between zoneff and zone:tuner (or whatever source)

It only makes sense that the unit would not fully shut off if it thought someone was listening to zone 2 still.

Can you do me a favor on the hum issue? Disconnect everything besides your speakers - no anntenna, no video, no audio, nothing except the speaker wires.

See if the hum is still present.

if it's still there, try disconnecting all but one speaker, prefereably one that you can see the cable (Ie no cable in wall) (you're disconnecting the speakers on the off chance that one of the speaker wires got crossed on something - this could be the case if you ran your wiring in wall for your surrounds.) (yes it's extremely unlikely, but worth a look)

You're trying to see if any of the hum could be coming in to the unit from somewhere else.

I once had a friend who thought his new DVD player was causing hum, it turned out that it was a new DVDA player, and he had connected it with 6 analog cables - previously he had only had a single toslink optical connection -and he ran video straight to his tv.

What happened was, the DVD player connected the ground planes of his receiver to his TV which was connected to an ungrounded Antenna. He ran the antenna through his surge protector and the hum from the DVD plater disappeared. It wasn't an issue before, because of the optical connection -there was no metal connecting the dvd player to the audio system.

See if this is your case
                                    - Jack

Comment

• KAP
                                      • Jan 2005

Jack,

I just printed your post and I'll follow those steps. My dealer called and said that the next batch of hopefully "fixed" Rotels will be in next week. However, I think he is only aware of my popping problem and not the heat and hmmm. I'll call him now.

Comment

• KAP
                                        • Jan 2005

OK..........Zone 2 was actually "on" when the receiver was "off", so that is now fixed. I'm still a bit concerned over the heat that is generated during normal usage, however, perhaps the replacement unit won't be so hot.

Regarding the hmmmmm, it definitely has something to do with my Denon 2910 DVD player. When I disconnect the Denon, the hmmm stops. Also, when I turn the Denon either "on" or "off" there is a 1 second period where the hmmm is gone.

I didn't get a chance to mess around with the connections yesterday but the new Rotel should be here this week, so I'll install it next weekend. Hopefully, I the popping will be gone and I can figure out how to fix the hmmmm

Comment

• basementjack
                                          • Dec 2004

Hey Kap, that is great news about the dennon - you are one step closer to solving the hum issue (and I suspect the hum might also be contributing to the heat)

Can you tell us more about how the 2910 is connected, and how?
                                          Ie, do you have the audio of the 2910 connected to the rotel, but the video connected to your TV?

If that's the case, try disconnecting the video from the back of the 2910 and see if the hum goes away. If it does then the hum isn't coming from the 2910, and your TV is the next thing to look at.

- Jack

Comment

• KAP
                                            • Jan 2005

Jack,
                                            The audio out of the 2910 is connected to the audio in on the Rotel. The video out of the 2910 is an HDMI cable that goes directly to my Panasonic AE700 projector.

I don't know a whole lot about the connections, however, because I had everything professionally installed. It is rather complicated because I have a dedicated theater, but also a bar area with a plasma and in-ceiling speakers. There is a lot going on regarding cables!!!!!

Comment

• basementjack
                                              • Dec 2004

KAP -

Sounds like a great setup!

I would pull the HDMI connector from the back of the denon and see if the hum goes away. Also check the back of the denon for any other video cables (Svideo, Composite, component) and remove those too.

I'm placing my bets that the hum is coming in via one of the video cables, if we can confirm that, we can start to look at where those cables connect and find the source of the hum.

- Jack

Comment

• KAP
                                                • Jan 2005

Jack,

Will do!!! I'll let you know the results tomorrow!!!

Comment

• basementjack
                                                  • Dec 2004

Thanks Kap, And post some pictures too!

Comment

• KAP
                                                    • Jan 2005

Jack,
                                                    I was a bit off on the HDMI connection, I forgot that my installer pre-wired for DVI 6 months ago. So the connection from the Denon 2910 is DVI out to a DVI/HDMI adapter that goes into the projector.

Anyway, disconnecting the Denon did not fix the hummmm issue. It was still there.

I have some digital pictures of the set up here on my computer. Stupid Question....how do I post them on this site?

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Jun 2004

Why wouldn't the company who Installed your system Install the new Receiver? I would have them come over and try to figure out the problem. It will cost you a bit unless your system and Install is under waranty. Shame to have problems.

Good luck and yes please snap some pics.

Dan

Comment

• KAP
                                                        • Jan 2005

Dan,

I'll be able to hook up the new receiver when it comes. I'll simply make note of where the cables are connected on the Rotel before I disconnect it to return it for the new one.

The guy that did my installation lives in PA and I'm in Virginia. It wouldn't be convenient for him to come back. If I struggle with the hmmmm noise with the new receiver (which I anticipate I will) I'll get the local dealer that sold me the Rotel, Denon and everything else, to send someone over to figure out the problem.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

KAP to post pictures click the "Go Advanced" button post and then scroll down and click the "Manage attachements" button. That will let you upload photo's to the server...just make sure they're small enough.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Jun 2004

Good deal,

I am alittle puzzled by this Install you had. I am an Installer and we warrant all our work. When a problem like this comes up , we go back to help our customer. We do plenty out of state work and it makes no difference. Your system is just as Important as the ones that our close.

If it was professionally Installed , all the setting in the receiver are going to have to be re done. This isn't something I suggest to do if you have no idea how to do it. The preformance of the system depends on a correct setup.

You did get a professional Install correct? Or was this some kind of friend thing? I am confused by some of the things you have written. It seems you bought the gear somewhere else and had it installed by someone else correct?This isn't a wise decesion as a conflick of intrest always comes up when doing so. Warranty issues arise.

I still suggest you get the orignal Installers or someone from that company to come out and troubleshoot.

Let us know how you make out.

Comment

• KAP
                                                              • Jan 2005

Dan,

I'll try to clarify........it is a long story. I orginally ordered $22,000 worth of equipment from an on-line vendor. The vendor was located in Maryland. They recommended a professional installer to me. He lives in PA. I hired him and he did the pre-wire for my basement and we worked out a price for him to do the installation once all the equipment arrived.

The on-line vendor filed for bankruptcy and I lost all $22,000. Before you ask, I was stupid and paid via a check. Many other people got screwed as well.

Therefore, I went and purchased my equipment from a local dealer. When I had all the equipment, I called the installer from PA and he came and set the whole thing up. I would highly recommend this installer. He did a great job and is a nice guy.

Hopefully that makes things a bit more clear. So now, would you recommend that I have the guy from PA come back or the local dealer that sold me all the equipment? What a pain this is!!!!!

Comment

• gd
                                                                • Jan 2003

Yes, have the installer return and back up his installation, which should certainly include troubleshooting for hum / noise issues, whether it's sourced in the receiver or not... he is responsible for setting up a working system, including help with identifying components or wiring which may be causing problems.

As for your original online purchase, we all feel for you on that one... very tough luck... caveat emptor, I guess.

Hope it all works out.
                                                                greg (gd to you)
                                                                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                                                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• JBall
                                                                  • Oct 2004

humm

I had the hummm on my new 1067...i have posted here several times on it so search the threads. I will summarize though. Dealer told me to take a piece of wire and connect chassis of the 1067 to the 1080. 1080 has 3 prong plug, 1067 2 prong for some reason. The humm went away. Later on it came back when i hooked my cable box up. I went ahead and ordered a monster power unit. First of all it is silver and black with blue lighting so it looks great under rotel. More importantly though, everything was perfect in grounding and no humm anywhere. Hated to have to spend a few hundred more for clean power, but glad i did. Aren't we 'sposed to keep spending money on all this stuff anyhow??

My 1067 runs very hot too, but never seemed to hurt anything

good luck
                                                                  Jonathan

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jun 2004

I taked to a Tech at Rotel about the rsx1067 as I'm considering it for my next theater receiver (or go seperates). I was told it has plenty of power to drive my speakers but the hard ohm load and db rating would cause it to run hot.

He suggested I'd be better off with the rsp1068 and the rmb1075/rb1070 combo.

I currently own a B&K avr307 and decided not to go B&K again. I love there stuff but I want something different not to mention the speakers I 'm upgrading to(Dynaudio) sounds better in my opnion with Rotel then B&K. B&K sounds better driving B&W then Dynaudio , in my opnion of course.

Dan

Comment

• KAP
                                                                      • Jan 2005

Regarding the Hmmmm, I do have all my equipment plugged into a Monster Power Center. So my Hmmmm issue is perhaps a bit different.

My replacement 1067 receiver is at the local dealer now. I'll exchange mine tomorrow and hook it up. I'll see if it still runs hot, or just "warm".

I didn't want to go with separates because I wanted to cut costs since I lost so much on the internet scam. Anyway, as I've said I'm very pleased with the way the Rotel drives the Paradigm Studio 40's.

Comment

• KAP
                                                                        • Jan 2005

I'm picking up the replacement 1067 this afternoon and will have it up and running this evening. The heat issue is really bothering me. Last night I was listening to a CD at a rather high volume level. After about 30 minutes of this, the top of the Rotel was too hot to touch and when I turned off the CD, I heard the fan running in the Rotel. I'll discuss this with my dealer when I make the swap today.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jun 2004
                                                                          • 1036

I can't wait to read about the outcome of this. Yes keep us posted.

Thanks,

Dan

Comment

• KAP
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Jan 2005
                                                                            • 64

Before the results of my new 1067, let me say that I just picked the new one up and spoke with my dealer.

He seems to think that the 1067 being almost too hot to touch and having the fan running is essentially "normal". I find that very odd, but what do I know. I felt the one in the store...........it was in Stanby mode, but Zone 2 was on. It's temperature was comparable to the way mine used to feel in that same situation.

Regarding the hummmmm issue, his first guess thoughts are a grounding problem, a bad cable and lastly a bad Denon 2910.

I'll see what happens tonight.

Comment

• KAP
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Jan 2005
                                                                              • 64

#39
                                                                              My replacement 1067 is up and running. The popping/crackling noise is completely gone. The hummm is still there but does not appear to be as loud. The unit still gets very warm when music is played at a loud volume, but it has not been hot enough yet to cause the fans to run. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                              Search Result for "|||"