X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmob
    • Sep 2009

A21 clearance

I have a Parasound A21 amp and JC2 preamp. I would like to place my A21 amp in the bottom shelf of my Sanus Euro rack. The rack is open on all sides but I only have 4.5" of clearance from the shelf above it. The A21 manual states "Leave at least 3” of space around both sides and 6” of space above the top" So this is 1.5" less than what the manual states I should have. Is this a problem? I think it will be okay, but not 100% sure. My listening room is air conditioned.

On a side note, anyone have any opinions about matching this amp with the Usher BE-718 speakers. I auditioned a pair and really like them.

Thanks
  • Music4Life
    • May 2006

Originally posted by dmob
    I have a Parasound A21 amp and JC2 preamp. I would like to place my A21 amp in the bottom shelf of my Sanus Euro rack. The rack is open on all sides but I only have 4.5" of clearance from the shelf above it. The A21 manual states "Leave at least 3” of space around both sides and 6” of space above the top" So this is 1.5" less than what the manual states I should have. Is this a problem? I think it will be okay, but not 100% sure. My listening room is air conditioned.

On a side note, anyone have any opinions about matching this amp with the Usher BE-718 speakers. I auditioned a pair and really like them.

Thanks
    1.5" clearance should be fine in an air conditioned room. If you want you can put a small fan to blow it (I guess this is not needed).

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Hey, dmob, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• r100gs
        • May 2005

Thanks
        That should not be a problem. My A21 is set up similar. Now if that was a JC1 things would be different.
        Jay

Comment

• Mike_Schmidt
          • Mar 2009

Hey guys I have a wireworld tundra power strip ( no filters only 6 plug ins) and I have four sources running into there with the A21 being the first due to the current. Someone has said that I should plug that power amp right into the wall alone. The problem is then I would lose the benefit if any of my 600 cord by wireworld. If I had to scratch i could steal a stratus cord from one of my TV's in the mean time.

Comment

• r100gs
            • May 2005

Originally posted by Mike_Schmidt
            Hey guys I have a wireworld tundra power strip ( no filters only 6 plug ins) and I have four sources running into there with the A21 being the first due to the current. Someone has said that I should plug that power amp right into the wall alone. The problem is then I would lose the benefit if any of my 600 cord by wireworld. If I had to scratch i could steal a stratus cord from one of my TV's in the mean time.
            I would not lose sleep over it. I have a G&W power supply filter that has a couple of plugins that are not filtered but still have surge protection. The filtered plugins are used for sources like cd players and such. If your power strip does not have a filter don't worry about it.
            Jay

Comment

• dmob
              • Sep 2009

Thanks for the replies

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

3" top clearance is fine in a rack with all sides open!

(The manual refers to a "bookshelf" installation where only the front and possibly back is open).

Comment

• dmob
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
                  3" top clearance is fine in a rack with all sides open!

(The manual refers to a "bookshelf" installation where only the front and possibly back is open).

Thanks for answer.

I just recently asked my local audio shop guy and he said a general rule of thumb is if it gets to warm to touch then it needs more air/space.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Thanks for answer.

I just recently asked my local audio shop guy and he said a general rule of thumb is if it gets to warm to touch then it needs more air/space.
                    That does not apply to the Halo POWER AMPS. The JC-1 will run *burning hot* to the touch even when it's just sitting by itself in open air (this is in high bias mode, of course).

Keep it on for 3 hours. If you can keep your hand comfortably on the heatsinks for 30 seconds without burning/hurting yourself, then they're fine! :T

Again, this ONLY applies to the Halo series, and to the power amps. The pre/pro, DVD, etc. should always be kept cool to the touch (below 85F / 30C)

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"