X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scient
    • Feb 2005

My RSX-1056 seems weak

Setup my 1056 to power Studio-100, CC570 and ADP470's. But the sound from the speakers seem really weak. They don't seem to have any of the depth and resolution I loved about the Paradigms. I wonder if the 75W are inadequate and I should try a bigger 200W amp for the fronts. Also I need to set the volume at about 55 to get resonable listening volumes. Measured with an SPL meter one channel produces about 90db at a setting of 78. This seems really low considering the volume only goes to 100.

As some of you may have seem my other posts my 1056 crackles a lot and its annonying and scary. I hope they dont damage my speakers!

Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

Sounds like you got a bad one. I read your post in the other thread and I think you are in the right in asking your dealer to exchange it. Rotel gear sounds great, just unfortunatly recently there have been too many bad ones escape the eyes of the QC staff. Have your dealer replace the unit, statistics are in your favor that the next one won't be bad.

Perhaps you can tell us the rated efficiency of your speakers and your room size so we can make educated recommendations towards replacing it with something stronger
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• basementjack
      • Dec 2004

I have to set my 1056 to a good 50-55 for reasonable levels as well with my Paradigm Ref 60's,

One thing I've notices is it seems to vary with source - the tuner is louder than any of the digital ins enough so that I turn it down 10 notches.

oh and if it helps, I use my 1056 as a preamp and drive the paradigms with a 1075 5 channel amp - so the volume thing isn't a problem.
      with the 1075 I've turned it up to 80 before, and it's so loud I really don't feel like going higher (though the sounds is still clear as can be)

Comment

• scient
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DrJRapp
        Sounds like you got a bad one. I read your post in the other thread and I think you are in the right in asking your dealer to exchange it. Rotel gear sounds great, just unfortunatly recently there have been too many bad ones escape the eyes of the QC staff. Have your dealer replace the unit, statistics are in your favor that the next one won't be bad.

Perhaps you can tell us the rated efficiency of your speakers and your room size so we can make educated recommendations towards replacing it with something stronger
        I spoke to Rotel. They said they know about this problem (its a manufacturing defect, bad resistor) and they are replacing mine with a new unit. Needless to say I am happy with the resolution.

My Studio 100's are rated at 91db. Room size is 22x14x8 (LxWxH). Thinking of going for the RMB-1075. Any other suggestions?

Comment

• Scherr
          • Dec 2003

Scient:

The Studio 100's require a lot more power than the 1056. They are power hungry speakers and you should definitely get a 2 channel amp to power them. The 1080 would be nice!

Scott

Comment

• scient
            • Feb 2005

I am thinking of either sticking with the RSX-1056 and adding on a RMB-1080 later or trading in the 1056 for a RMB-1075 and some cheap receiver ($500) as a processor. And add on a RMB-1080 later.
            Basically I don't want to spend any more on the receiver now and I am thinking that the 1075 will give me a good upgrade path. But I also want a fairly decent processor for $500 which I dont know if its going to be possible. Help me out people!

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

I suggest sticking with the RSX-1056 and adding on a RMB-1080 later. Check out audigon.com and get an inexpensive 2 channel amp, the RSX-1056 is a good receiver with the lastest h/w and s/w, don't short change yourself. Just my humble opinion, your mileage of course may vary.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• basementjack
                • Dec 2004

Don't go for the cheap receiver.

I tried the Denon 3805 (which isn't cheap) and the sound did not compare to the rotel.

I have a 1056 and a 1075 and am very happy.

A 1080 2 channel might be ok too, however I watch enough movies that I wanted the front 3 channels to have the same amplification.

With your 1056/1075 you could always use the 1075 to bi-amp the 100's, single amp the center, and use the 1056 for the 2, 3, or 4 surround channels

- Jack

Comment

• scient
                  • Feb 2005

Thanks for all your replies. After thinking about it and also considering all the great suggestions I have decided to keep the 1056 and either add on a 1080 or bi amp with a 1075 (didn't think of the latter, thanks basementjack2).

Any other suggestion are always welcome.

Comment

• shadow
                    • Dec 2003

FWIW, I would get the 1080, not the 1075. Passive biamping is basically pretty useless. You need the power and current to drive and control those woofers and that can be done better with the 1080. :T

Comment

• basementjack
                      • Dec 2004

I'd agree with Shadow - the 1080 is a better amp, and you are better off with a better two channel than you are bi-amping with a lower end multi channel.

For my needs, I wasn't comfortable with only 75 watts in the front center ( a 3 channel 1080 would have been perfect)
                      and I've read on the forums that rotels stereo amps have a differnet tonal character than the 5 channel amps, which had me worried about the front 3. Keeping everything the same was very important to me.

All I can tell you is I'm very very happy with the sound of the 1056/1075 combo when used for 2 channel music. I'm sure it can get better, but it's so good now, I'm not longing for more. A 1080 would probably sound incredible, but I'd hate it for movies - I think I'd look to the 1095 next becuase of the dual use of the system (surround/2ch)

I should also mention that I haven't experimented with biamp yet, I'll post somewhere once I do (have all the parts now, just need to try it.)

Comment

• scient
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by shadow
                        FWIW, I would get the 1080, not the 1075. Passive biamping is basically pretty useless. You need the power and current to drive and control those woofers and that can be done better with the 1080. :T
                        I would think that if I bi-amp and bi-wire the speakers I would get the sort of power and current required to control the woofers. Because in that case it will be using 130W to drive just the woofers whereas the mid and upper ranges will be driven by another channel of 130W. Is that not so?

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"