X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spookyslow
    • Oct 2004

Rotel RDV 1050/1060?

I'm considering picking up a Rotel DVD player to be used primarily for DVD-A.
    Can anyone comment/discern a sound quality difference between the 1050 and 1060?

Thanks in advance for the input.
  • Cracking Oboe
    • May 2004

Hi Spooky,

I don't think that anyone has replied to your post because you are asking a question that is not so easily answered. I don’t know what the specific internal differences of the two DVD players are with regard to DVD-A processing. Additionally I don't know if the difference in sound between the two players is enough to be audible in your system or with your ears.

Personally, I found the DVD-A sound of the RDV-1050 to be very good. I found the DVD-A sound of the RDV-1060 to be exceptional (breath taking) :T . The RDV-1050 looks as though it can play all DVD-A features, but the RDV-1060 is unable to access some of the menu items on some DVD-A's. I ended up purchasing the RDV-1060 and I am very happy with its performance. I'm afraid you are just going to have to weigh the pros and cons regarding the menu glitches, listen to both, and judge for yourself. I look forward to hearing what your decision was... and why.

Cracking!

Comment

• metallo
      • Sep 2004

Spookyslow,

I own 1050 (havent listened to 1060) and it is a great player BUT i wouldnt recomend it. Note that this is a European model.

* It seems very sensitive to ground, i had big problems with it "clipping" the sound when starting the owen or hitting a light switch. Problem was solved by a surge arrester and connecting component via pre pro to projector.

* It lacks the ability to send HDCD signal via digital connection, so if you buy a 1050 you can forget about enjoying HDCD. This is the only player i know of that have this limitation.

But you were asking for DVD-A, and i like the sound (i havent listened to another DVD-A player), and if you do a search, you will find several professional reviews wich only say good things about this player.

/Daniel

Comment

• Spookyslow
        • Oct 2004

Thanks for the replies--both were helpful.

I realize that people probably haven't A/B'd the 1050 and 1060 for DVD-A, but I figure they're plenty of folks out there who use both for DVD-A. I'm just hoping to get some opinions or each.

Comment

• toossie
          • Mar 2004

Loved Rotel.....sofar

Few years ago I bought my first Rotel gear and have been happy with it ever since. Few weeks ago I traded the whole thing in (except my RCD-971 cd player) and bought the RSX-1056 with some B&W 704's. It's running in quite well now and sounds awesome. Not only I'm falling in love with the sound again, but also with the looks. So I've decided to replace the RCD-971 with the 1072 and I'd like to get a DVD-player 1050 or 1060 as well. I auditioned the 1060 for playing cd's as well, my RCD-971 sounds way, way better. Even my wife heard the difference not even knowing what I was messing around. Need I say more?
          I do have a few problems though. I just loaned the RDV-1060 from my dealer, but when I fastworward a dvd and press play again, my image on my plasma turns green. Turning off and on the player solves the issue. I've read that some other people also have this problem but so far I've never seen a solution. The second strange thing is when I leave my dvd-player on, while my plasma is on standby, I can't seem to turn on the plasma anymore. The remote does not work and the buttons on the tv itself don't work either. I've connected the DVD by Scart. A dvd-recorder is also connected by scart.

It's the first time I've seen some issues on Rotel-gear. I hope this is the last time as well.

I would also like to know if anyone can tell me the difference between the RCD-971 and the RCD-1072. It looks better and should sound better, but since I've never auditioned the 1072 so far I'd really like to know.

My setup:

Receiver RSX-1056
          CD RCD-971 (changing to RCD-1072)
          Fronts: B&W 704
          Rears: Mission 782 (changing to B&W 705 shortly I hope)
          Speakercable: van den Hul (fronts) Ocos (rears)

Interconnects: Oehlbach (I'd like to upgrade these as well. Any suggestions are very welcome since I do not know a lot about interconnects yet)

TV: Philips plasma 42pf9956

BTW, I haven't been able to audition the DVD-A quality of the 1060 yet. Keep you posted.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Comment

• Spookyslow
            • Oct 2004

Thanks for the input...

I'm looking to use the Rotel DVD nearly exclusively for DVD-A. I have a 2 year old DVD player that I'm ever more impressed with as time goes by. So the picture problems don't worry me too much.

Anyone out there using a Rotel for DVD-A?

Comment

• Noddy
              • Dec 2004

I have a 1060 which i use for dvd and cd, i have found the cd side much better than i had(yamaha 2400 and yamaha cd player) but that is a givin i suppose. I do find that some times the hf can become a little uncomfortable but i hope some good interconnects may address the issue. Dvd player i had was a pioneer 525 (truck) and i found the upgrade noticeable but i didn't jump out of my chair going wow! projecter Sony 11ht. btw Speakers are Klipsch R5's.

Comment

• toossie
                • Mar 2004

Made my choice

Well, I tried the 1060, because it seemed to be good with cd's as well. To be honoust I think it is not. I compared it with my Rotel RCD-971 and even my wife, not knowing wat I was doing at the time, cried from the back of my livingroom "What are you doing over there, you're messing up the music". That was 10 seconds after I had switched from cd-player to the 1060. That was enough testing for me, because normally she is not so critical about these things. She was absolutely right though. Since my dealer told me that the real difference between the 1050 and the 1060 would be the quality of the cd playback, he adviced me to take the 1050, because it delivers the same picture quality. I'm picking it up this afternoon, together with the RCD-1072, because then the whole system has the same looks again (I know it's all about the sound, but hey, it's an eyecatcher in the middle of my room) and the 1072 should be even better than my 971. I will test things this week, play some DVD-A as well and keep you posted again.

Comment

• Spookyslow
                  • Oct 2004

That's pretty interesting--you'd think the flagship 1060 would offer the best of all worlds. Sounds like that's not the case. I'll be eager to hear how the 1050 does with DVD-A. Thanks for the input.

Comment

• toossie
                    • Mar 2004

Strange

Well I only had time yesterday to watch one movie, which I had never seen before so I won't call it a test. I was very impressed by the pictures it produced, though. Warm deep colours, but not too much, Hardly any artifact whatsoever and brilliant picture with fast movements. On a 42 " plasma that's a really good thing. The sound was awesome too. So far I'm happy. I'll try to bye a DVD-A this evening, but I have to be honoust, I don't have much experience with DVD-A so it's hard for me to judge. Still I'll give you my opinion soon.
                    I did actually experience another strange issue with my new cd player (RCD-1072). When I hooked it up, it automatically opened and closed the tray several times. It wouldn't read any cd at all.
                    Called my dealer today and he had never experienced something like this before. Anyway, he told me this should never happen with a Rotel, so he's getting me a new device this afternoon. What more could he do, I call that pretty good service.
                    You'll here from me again soon.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"