RSX-1067 or RSP-1068+1075/1095 for Def Techs??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nadroj81
    • Jan 2005

RSX-1067 or RSP-1068+1075/1095 for Def Techs??

Hi all,

I am contemplating buying some new rotel gear, but not sure what i should spring for. My audio setup includes Def Tech BP2004TL for L/R and a 2002 C/L/R for center. My rear channels need to be upgraded from thier current garbage. I listen to about 50/50 HT/2 channel.

Not sure if i should go for the rsx1067 or the rsp1068 and either the 1075 or 1095 amp. I really dont' know which amp i would need to power the speakers better. The 1095 is noteably more expensive, which i would like to avoid... Also, i noticed the retail price list, but am wondering if dealers are held to sellling at those prices or how much room do i have to negotiate. I will probably purchase from a store in NYC or possibly a store in Hoboken, wherever i would be able to get the best deal...

Any input as to which setup is recomended would be nice. Trying not to go overboard on spending.. (I see the the 1075 amps can be picked up on audiogon for a fraction of the price, which is probably what i would do)
    Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 22 January 2005, 21:52 Saturday.
  • phuz
    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by nadroj81
    Hi all,
    I am contemplating buying some new rotel gear, but not sure what i should spring for. My audio setup includes Deff tech bp2004tl for L/R and a 2002 C/L/R for center. My rear channels need to be upgraded from thier current garbage. I listen to about 50/50 HT/2 channel.
    Not sure if i should go for the rsx1067 or the rsp1068 and either the 1075 or 1095 amp. I really dont' know which amp i would need to power the speakers better. The 1095 is noteably more expensive, which i would like to avoid... Also, i noticed the retail price list, but am wondering if dealers are held to sellling at those prices or how much room do i have to negotiate. I will probably purchase from a store in NYC or possibly a store in Hoboken, wherever i would be able to get the best deal...

anyinput as to which setup is recomended would be nice. Trying not to go overboard on spending.. (i see the the 1075 amps can be picked up on audiogon for a fraction of the price, which is probably what i would do)
    All if your choices are good. To me it seems like your decision should be based on where you see your system in the future. Do you plan on keeping the def techs? Or upgrading to something that needs more power a few years down the road? If you plan on keeping the sources for a while and upgrading speakers later, go ahead and get the top level gear. If you are going to stick with the def techs, then you could go with the rsx alone, or rsx with the 1075 amp and everything will be kosher.

Used/demo gear - as long as it is in good working condition - is a good way to go if you are on a tight budget. I was bitten by the rotel bug when I found a used RB-990bx for $150 a few years ago, but those kind of deals are hard to find.

You can expect to get 5% off of MSRP from most retailers, 10% off if you are really lucky.
    ==============
    -phuz

Comment

• nadroj81
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by phuz

You can expect to get 5% off of MSRP from most retailers, 10% off if you are really lucky.
      is there anyway to find out cost for the retailers? Is cost dependent on units sold? I would like to know dealer cost so i have some ammo when i start negotiating.

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

I personally have learned to exercise caution when dealing on high end shops equiptment. I think nothing of going into Best buy, etc.... and trying to low ball them, for fun if nothing else, but to go in to a "dealer" and tell them "I know I can do this, or that" may do more harm than good. I have found myself dealing exclusively with one dealer now on many items and it all began with a friendly salesman name Mark who offered %10 on my first Rotel purchase, and it has been a wonderful relationship every since.

Comment

• nadroj81
          • Jan 2005

I know what you mean, we have good relationships with a dealer in upstate NY, but they dont' sell rotel, and the other brands products that interest me are twice the price. They offer some percent off, but i am not sure the deal with rotel. I don't go in and say what's the best price. I audition, come to a decision, wait for them to start negotiating if I mention price is an issue. If it comes to the point where they don't offer, and I ask what can you do this for, i would like to know what is acceptable for rotel products. I would be pleased with 10pecent off. (anything off retail in hi-fi is worth it)

Comment

• emf
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by nadroj81
            I know what you mean, we have good relationships with a dealer in upstate NY, but they dont' sell rotel, and the other brands products that interest me are twice the price. They offer some percent off, but i am not sure the deal with rotel. I don't go in and say what's the best price. I audition, come to a decision, wait for them to start negotiating if I mention price is an issue. If it comes to the point where they don't offer, and I ask what can you do this for, i would like to know what is acceptable for rotel products. I would be pleased with 10pecent off. (anything off retail in hi-fi is worth it)
            If my recent experience shopping around for Rotel in the Boston area is anything to go by, Rotel's prices, like those of a lot of genuinely high end gear, are locked fairly close to list. Most of the dealer discounts within a 30 to 40 mile radius in Massachusetts seem to be exactly the same--maybe a hair better than 10%. Rotels even hold their value in the used market; the Orion Blue Book often prices recent components in excellent condition at better than 75% of their original cost. The benefits of a high end store in terms of cost cutting are only relative. If you build a relationship, you'll certainly receive preferential treatment, but the real advantage is having all that quality merchandise to audition and all that expertise to consult. When I was looking, I asked everyone what their best price was, conversed about it for a while, and got a feel for what the wiggle room was for Rotel. Not much.

Ed

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"