X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brent S
    • Jan 2005

Decoding DTS-encoded CD's on RSX-1056

Hello all,

Just picked up an RSX-1056 last week. So far I have run into one problem. I don't know if it's a bug or defect, or if I'm just missing something in the setup. I have a CD player connected via optical digital input. When I play a DTS-encoded CD, the 1056 apparently detects the DTS stream and displays "DTS" on the display, but all I hear from the speakers is garbled junk. I have tried another player and the coaxial digital input, but I get the same results.

Has anyone else had success playing a DTS CD on their 1056/1067/1068/1098?

Thanks,

Brent
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

I play DTS cd's all the time w/rotel rsx1056 and my marantz cc4300 player.What do you have as the default setting for cd in the rotel?Mine is on dts neo.Dont know if this is your problem.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

DTS CD's have worked fine on my 1098.. How does it handle DTS DVD's?

Kevin D.

Comment

• Mark_C.
        • Jan 2003

Do you have the correct input assigned in the 1056? That is: is the Rotel configured where your CD input is assigned to optical 1 or 2 rather than analog?

Comment

• Brent S
          • Jan 2005

I'm guessing that the default mode for the CD input is not the culprit as it is supposed to auto-detect DTS streams, and it does appear to do this as indicated by the "DTS" lighting up on the display.

I've tried a couple of DTS DVD's, and they play fine.

Comment

• Brent S
            • Jan 2005

Mark C: Yes, I have it assigned to the optical input, and I have no trouble playing standard PCM CD's this way. I have also tried another player via digital coax with the same results.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Curious if this is purchased CD's or downloaded/copies??

Kevin D.

Comment

• Brent S
                • Jan 2005

The CD I am having trouble with is a pre-recorded (purchased) CD: Sting, Nothing Like the Sun [DTS]. Honestly, this is the only DTS CD I own. But it worked fine with my old receiver, it's not scratched or anything. If you listen to the garble that the 1056 is playing, you can vaguely make out the songs. It must not be synced to the bitstream correctly or something. I guess I'll contact my dealer and get his advice.

Comment

• Brent S
                  • Jan 2005

I think I have a resolution to my DTS CD decoding issue. I think the problem is a questionable DTS CD: Sting: Nothing Like the Sun. This disc isn’t decoded properly on my RSX-1056, nor on my dealer’s RSP-1068. However, it can be decoded with a Denon receiver and a Sony receiver. Yet another DTS CD (Eagles: Hell Freezes Over) is decoded fine on my 1056. So the Rotel’s DTS decoder must be a little more picky about the DTS bitstream than some other receivers. And/or my Nothing Like the Sun DTS CD must not produce as clean a bitstream as Hell Freezes Over (and I have tried multiple players and cables). Nevertheless, I’m not too concerned and I’ll just blame my software this time. This doesn’t seem to be a growing format anyway. Thanks to all who provided input.

Brent

Comment

• rick c
                    • Aug 2004

fwiw i have that same dts cd plays w/o a problem w/my rotel rsx1056.Maybe you just have a bad disc.

Comment

• Noddy
                      • Dec 2004

my 1056 plays the police dts disc ok.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"