• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlvaroD
    • Oct 2002

1066/1055 DTS 24/96 upgrade

hi

There may some good news here !

I noticed the micro-code for the Cirrus Logic CS49326 has been updated. (The CS49326 is the main chip inside rsp-1066 and rsx-1055).

According to the Application note rev7 dated march 2003, it now supports DTS 24/96 decoding :

Page 16

I believe the micro-code is included in the firmware, thus it could be possible for Rotel to offer a software DTS 24/96 upgrade.

Chances are we will have to pay for it, since it requires a licence to Cirrus and to DTS, but still, I would be very interested

Can anyone in touch with Rotel check this out ?
  • jaakan
    • Dec 2002

Normally when DTS 24/96 is add there are other hardware change thus a new model is created. One main reason is the extra wider datapath needed. So other chips and ram must be updated or up to spec to handle it.

I could only see a hardware upgrade to the 1066/55 just
    - add MLP and two firewire ports.

Comment

• AlvaroD
      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by jaakan
      Normally when DTS 24/96 is add there are other hardware change thus a new model is created. One main reason is the extra wider datapath needed. So other chips and ram must be updated or up to spec to handle it.
      The 1066/1055 already have a 24 bits/ 96 Khz datapath.

Comment

• jaakan
        • Dec 2002

The DACs are @ 24 bits/ 96 Khz right and line level is 96khz, but the Datapath is everything between the Digital inputs to the DACs. That would be Digital inputs, buffers, Decoder, more buffers , DSP stuff, more buffers, and DACs.

Just because something has 24bit/96khz DACs doesn't mean the unit can be inputed a 24bit/96khz signal. Take a look at CD players the input is 16bit/44.1Khz(redbook) and it could have 24bit/192khz DACs.

I hope I cleared up my point.

Comment

• justin
          • Feb 2003

why would rotel put that dac in if we can't get full use of it. If it's going to be a hardware upgade how much will it be?

Jus

Taking it one day at a time. Life moves quick.
          Jus

Taking it one day at a time. Life moves quick.

Comment

• AlvaroD
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by jaakan
            The DACs are @ 24 bits/ 96 Khz right and line level is 96khz, but the Datapath is everything between the Digital inputs to the DACs. That would be Digital inputs, buffers, Decoder, more buffers , DSP stuff, more buffers, and DACs.
            With DTS 24/96, the only 24/96 path you will need is :

CS49326--> DAC

DTS 24/96 is passed on the SPDIF as a regular DTS stream, that means it's tagged as non-audio data. The CS49326 decodes it and outputs 8 PCM 24/96 channels (left, right, center, sub, surround left, surround right, rear surround left, rear surround right) directly to the DACs.

Just because something has 24bit/96khz DACs doesn't mean the unit can be inputed a 24bit/96khz signal. Take a look at CD players the input is 16bit/44.1Khz(redbook) and it could have 24bit/192khz DACs.

I hope I cleared up my point.
            DTS 24/96 doesnt even need a full 24/96 datapath but, just to clear things, the 1066 has a full 24/96 datapath since it can decode 24/96 PCM streams.

You may want to take a look at the service manual which was posted here not so long ago : every component from input to output is able to do 24/96 in the 1066.

I see your point and you're right, having 24/96 DACs alone doesn't imply a full 24/96 path everywhere, but that simply doesnt apply to 1066 : this one has a fulll 24/96 path

Comment

• jaakan
              • Dec 2002

yep, that's what it says in the S.M.

Comment

• JohnSC
                • Jun 2002

Ok, now that that's cleared up (I think :? ), Andrew how about having a chat to Rotel and see what their thoughts are.

john

Comment

• JKohn
                  • Jun 2002

I spoke to Mike B via email and there are no plans to add DTS 24/96 to the 1066.

Jeff Kohn
                  Jeff Kohn
                  http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

• AlvaroD
                    • Oct 2002

Comment

• ckong
                      • Mar 2003

I don't think Rotel is commercially keen to enable RSP 1066 dts 24/96 decoding as they are going to luanch their RSP 1098 model with dts 24/96 capability.

Comment

• terry78
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by AlvaroD
                        You may want to take a look at the service manual which was posted here not so long ago
                        Can anyone supply a link to the 1066 service manual? I've searched and cannot find it. Thanks!

Comment

• AlvaroD
                          • Oct 2002

You'll find it here :

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"