why does rsx1056 dplIIx decoder NOT work?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • regular guy
    • Jan 2009

why does rsx1056 dplIIx decoder NOT work?

Help!

I bought a sixth speaker to put in my home theater. I plan to use it as an additional surround speaker (center back).

Well, I managed to hook up the speaker with the Rotel RSX-1056 (which can run 5 speakers) and am using an older Yamaha receiver to power the 6th speaker.

I have gone to the menu in the Rotel TEST TONE. All six speakers are working!!!!! Yes! Including center back 1. Again, in test tone all work!

THE PROBLEM!

When I put in a dvd, the Rotel DEACTIVATES the CENTER BACK, and goes back to 5.1DTS/DD.
    What the F$%¨K???? I wanted to hear some matrix sound created in the CB1 (center back 1 speaker). Instead, nothing!!!!! The receiver's shows all the 6 speakers activated (the little icons) when I put in the dvd, but as soon as the "menu" of the dvd appears, the icon for the 6th speaker goes off. I am a HT rookie, but think the DPL IIX decoder is turning off. It should stay on when playing 5.1 DTS/DD and I have selected a 6th speaker (center back), right???

Supposedly, the Rotel simulates an additional surround in center back 1 and center back 2 speakers. This allows you to build a 6.1/7.1 system, right?

Hope this message makes sense. Spent 4 hours trying to fix problem/rereading manual.

Basically, the Rotel reads DTS or DD and then the center back is automatically deactivated.
    I thought it would stay on. Again, it works in test tone, but not in practice.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
  • Legairre
    • Jan 2002

Have you tried hitting the PLII or SUR+ button on the remote?
    "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Correct. You have to apply PLIIx over a 5.1 Digital signal. Hitting the SUR+ will toggle between the modes:

Dolby Digital/DTS: Plain 5.1
      Dolby Digital/DTS + XS: Rotel's center back mode, a mono summed copy of the rears, rear signal is unchanged
      Dolby Digital + EX: A prologic circuit is applied to rear channels. Anything exactly the same on both rear channels is removed and placed on the center rear
      Dolby Digital/DTS + PLIIx: Like +EX, more more enhanced steering and separation.

Of course know that you have that, at CES Dolby was showing off Prologic IIz, which adds two front height channels for 9.1. DTS demoed a prototype DTS Neo mode that added front height channels and two more rears for 11.1!

Kevin D.

Comment

• jalyra
        • Jan 2009

It seems as if speakers & electronic manufactures are funding Dolby & DTS. If this modes are successfull, then we would "need" to buy more speakers, new recievers, and all that just to find out that when you have finally set up your system, something new is already out. Is there a limit to this? I still have to make the move from 5.1 to 7.1

I hope R&D takes a different approach and try to make sound more real, but with fewer resources, instead of just adding channels of sound. Are we going to stop when the number of channels (& speakers) is going to be the same than the number of tracks in a studio recording? How much is that 24, 48? That would be ridiculous!!

Just my opinion.

Comment

• regular guy
          • Jan 2009

I have tried using the remote. No luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I turn on the Rotel. I read the following on the menu screen:
          DOLBY PLIIx CINEMA. Looks promising until I put in the dvds.....

While assisting Return of the Sith with 5.1 EX.

... I hit the SEARCH+/SUR button:

It shows the following:

CB +2db
          RR +2db
          RL +2db

And that is it. Period. Basically, it shows what I programmed for the surround channels.

There is another button SUR+

When I hit this button it shows "Dolby Digital".
          When I toggle (touch again quickly), it shows "D. Range Max".

And that is it. Nothing else. No mention of PLIIx.

At this point CB icon remains UNLIT. All I hear is 5.1. It (the CB icon) goes off as soon as the Dvd begins, or in other words, deactivates. In fact, before the DVD is inserted, the menu reads DOLBY PLIIx CINEMA. All 6 speaker lights are on.

I also tried listening to a dvd concert - Sarah Brightman. I thought it would be great to get some surround sound in the CB, particularly the audience clapping. I selected DTS. But again, no luck, no sound in 6th speaker.

My listening experience:

Before placing DVD, CB icon is lit. Works in test tone. Menu says Dolby PLIIx Cinema. But when I put in concert dvd, CB light goes out.

When I click SUR+, the message is "DTS". When I click again, the same. Only "DTS." Again, I am only hearing 5.1 and nothing in the CB speaker.

Any more suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have spent countless hours and consider money (6th speaker is B&W) and am disappointed that it isn't working. My gut tells me I am close, but am doing something wrong.

By the way, has anyone ever tested the RSX1056 on 6.1 system. Did it work?

Comment

• Legairre
            • Jan 2002

What happens if you hit the DOLBY PLIIx/3ST button on the front panel of the 1056?

Also try this: Press the SUR+ button on the remote, then use the +/– buttons around the ENT key to step through the options: DD 2.0, DD EX center back processing, etc...
            "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
            Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Legairre
              Also try this: Press the SUR+ button on the remote, then use the +/– buttons around the ENT key to step through the options: DD 2.0, DD EX center back processing, etc...

This is it. The SUR+ button toggles through options, the left/right +/- change those options.

Good thing is; once it's set, it remember's it for each sound mode.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"