X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • I'mListening
    • Jul 2003

What's your opinion on these two ?'s

I was able to sell my old Yamaha Receiver on another forum for $400.

1.) I now need to purchase a Rotel 2 Channel amp to drive the two rear centers in a 7.1 configuration. I have the RSP-1066 w/ the RMB-1075. I am thinking of getting the RB-1050 70w/ch amp (retail $399). I would rather goes this route than spend the extra $300 for the next larger amp. What do you think?

2.) I would also like to get the Rotel RLC-900 A/C Line Conditioner (retail $199) . I did a search here but could not find any definitive review on the unit. Is it worth it or not? OR....should I just scrap the Rotel RLC-900 and put that $199 towards the LARGER Rotel 2 ch. amp?

AiYeee!!!!

Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren
    Thanks for reading!

Darren
  • Matt Sprouls
    • Apr 2003

I would get a RB-1080 (200wpc) and have it drive your main L&R and have the 1075 drive the center and four rears.

Don't know anything about Rotel's line conditioner's. I use the BrickWall conditioners and am very happy with them. I have the high current model for my RMB-1095 and the eight outlet model for the remaining system. Both are the Audio versions.

Check them out at http://www.pricewheeler.com

Matt
    Regards,
    Matt

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

A lot depends on how efficient your speakers are, the size or the room, how loud you want to run your system. Generally, 70 watts/channel should be plenty for the rears in most HT applications, but, if it were me, I'd personally go msprouls route, especially if you also listen to two channel in your theater. Then again, I prefer to always have a lot of power on reserve.

As far as power conditioners, I haven't used the Rotel, but have the Monster 5000. I've noticed no difference with audio or video quality with the Monster. Personally, I'd buy a good surge protector and sink the rest of my money into the better amp. Just make sure you pick a surge protector that can handle the electrical current drawn by your equipment.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Darren,

They are alot of factors to consider as Matt and Danbry explained (including budget). However, I will leave you with this profound thought that help me make my decisions. It's better to have too much than not enough, ergo, go for the 1080 to drive the fronts. I think you won't look back and say to yourself, I should have, esp. with the theater setup you have, I must say it's very nice. My compliments.

Just my thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

As the others have pointed out there's a number of factors to consider here. The benefits the poewr conditioner might have depend a lot on how good the power is in your area...even then I'd have to say it would have to be pretty bad to gain you a larger improvement then getting a larger power amp. You might also look at the 1066 power amp as it will do 150 watts in bridged mode and is pretty affordable as well...you could then bi amp your center speaker which ought to improve dialog if your center is bi amp capable. Of course te 1080 or 1090 would be sweet on the mains if 2 channel is your priority.

Comment

• I'mListening
            • Jul 2003

Good points. I RARELY listen to 2 ch Stereo....I use the multi channel modes when listening to music. I also have a large projection screen selling on Ebay that is at $900 with another 12 hours to bid.....sooo I could use that to cover my expenses with the amp AND allow some for the new SVS subwoofer.

Here are some better elements to include in your decisions:

- B&W Loudspeakers (2) DM-602 (2)DM- 601 s3 (2) DiPole DS6 (1)Center CC6

- Never listen to just plain 2CH Stereo.. always DVD-Audio or Mutli Channel Stereo Surround.

- Largest percentage is HT use. Movies and Concert DVD's

-Musical influences include: Peter Gabriel, ELO, RUSH, The CARS, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Tangerine Dream, BlueMan Group, Judias Priest...so you can see basically Blues to Metal! NO COUNTRY! All else is fair game...even Chopin or Mozart have graced my system.

-I notice now I listen to movies with volume setting at about 72 -76 with average of 88+ dlbs. Not much headroom above that with current amp set up. Pink Noise via the RSP-1066 adjusted at 75 dlbs. at 69 on the volume knob.

-Power supply is on a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the audio euipment.

Maybe that will help you with a more informed decision.

Enjoy reading your informative comments! And again, a great forum!

Thanks for reading!

Darren
            Thanks for reading!

Darren

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Darren if you've got to funds go for broke and get the best amp you can afford...you'll own it for a long long time since technology doesn't change much in amps...unlike pre pro's etc

Comment

• spiffnme
                • Apr 2003

With that added info I think you should certainly go for the RMB-1080 amp. Either you're in a very large room, or those speakers are a tad on the ineffecient side. In either case, it sounds like you could used the extra power. Even though you usually listen to movies and multi-channel music, the majority of sound is still going to be coming from those two main speakers up front. Give them the juice they crave!

If I ever cranked my 1066/1075 to 76, my walls would come down! Set at about 55 I'm easily getting db peaks into the upper 80's and low 90's.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• I'mListening
                  • Jul 2003

SPIFFNME,

Hummmm...that has me thinking....I wonder if I have my system configured incorrectly. The B&W's sensitivity is about 93%, If I recall correctly. BUT....I am using DIGITAL AUDIO RCA cables to connect to the amp...rather than ANALOG AUDIO RCA cables. I had contacted Rotel's tech about the set up, and got a general reply of "Contact your local authorized dealer for recommendation and selection of analog cables." BUT he never decribed why or what the ill effects of using Digital VS. Analog would do.

The room is about 16' x 28'...carpted wall (lots of acoustical absorption) and mostly 8' and 9' ceilings. So maybe all of these factors are creating less efficient SPL's?

Thanks for reading!

Darren
                  Thanks for reading!

Darren

Comment

• Scarp
                    • Mar 2003

I hope you are not using digital coax (= also rca) for connecting you pre-amp and poweramp, since digital rca cables have 75 Ohm resistance, which is higher than normal analog cables. Only use digital coax for connecting your digital output (from dvd) to the pre-amp.
                    Use normal rca analog cables for pre-amp -> power amp.

Also with regards to your original question, I suggest getting the RB1070 (2x 120w @ 8 Ohm). It has the same power output as the 1075 and sounds similar (I've owned a 1070 before upgrading to a 1090). The 1070 is very good and will fit nicely into your system and isn't a big amp.
                    You will get the best integration this way. You can experiment with using the 1070 on your fronts or on your rears, however I recommend using the 1070 on your front speakers, since the 1070 provides a big more control to the speaker than the 1075 and your fronts are more important than the rears.

Comment

• I'mListening
                      • Jul 2003

Scarp,

That sounds like a plan to me, sorta what I was thinking of doing. This would be more affordable for me at the moment...and I can always trade and upgrade in the future. As for the cables....off they go and back to the store with them! I will get analog cables to replace them!

Thanks for reading!

Darren
                      Thanks for reading!

Darren

Comment

• I'mListening
                        • Jul 2003

UPDATE:

This is what I ended up doing. Went to my Rotel Dealer and told him what I wanted to do. Basically add an amp to power the two rear speakers for 6.1/7.1. He suggested the RM-1050. I was suprised he didn't first jump at the larger amps. He did actually recommend going larger to the RM-1070 if I was going to listen to 2 CH stereo. I explained I very rarely ever listen to 2 CH stereo....so he adamantly suggested the smaller amp. So for $360 I walked out a happy man.

I got home and pulled all the Digital COAX RCA audio cables and replaced with high quality Analog types. Then I treated all the speakers to new high quality speaker wire and new Gold Banana Plugs....this was an all day project. Well worth it! There was a definite increase in db. and performance! Now if I can only get the 12V trigger to operate the amps I will be set!!!!

Thanks for everyones input!!!!

Thanks for reading!

Darren
                        Thanks for reading!

Darren

Comment

• I'mListening
                          • Jul 2003

UPDATE:

This is what I ended up doing. Went to my Rotel Dealer and told him what I wanted to do. Basically add an amp to power the two rear speakers for 6.1/7.1. He suggested the RM-1050. I was suprised he didn't first jump at the larger amps. He did actually recommend going larger to the RM-1070 if I was going to listen to 2 CH stereo. I explained I very rarely ever listen to 2 CH stereo....so he adamantly suggested the smaller amp. So for $360 I walked out a happy man.

I got home and pulled all the Digital COAX RCA audio cables and replaced with high quality Analog types. Then I treated all the speakers to new high quality speaker wire and new Gold Banana Plugs....this was an all day project. Well worth it! There was a definite increase in db. and performance! Now if I can only get the 12V trigger to operate the amps I will be set!!!!

Thanks for everyones input!!!!

Thanks for reading!

Darren
                          Thanks for reading!

Darren

Comment

• Danbry39
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Sep 2002

Love happy endings!!!

Keith
                            Keith

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"