surge protector or whole house protector?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

surge protector or whole house protector?

I'm currently using a monster cable surge protector(forgot model)cost me about 80.00.I was wondering if a whole house protector would be more beneficial.I know nothing of these protectors.My sytem is plugged into the monster device right now.I have only plugged in the electrical cords.Now i haven't had any problems but would like to be safer than sorry.When using the surge protector should i plug the satellite cable as well as the elect. cords for protection.I have a t.v. hd box,rotel receiver,dvd,vcr,cassette,amp.Would the whole house protector offer me even more protection.Also do these protectors or conditioners provide better performance in the components.What would work the best and be the best option for protection .
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

A basic surge supressor will not do anything to improve the sound of your system. A power conditioner might; that can be a subject of great debate.

A whole house surge supressor would be easiest since all outlets would be protected, however the level of protection really depends on the surge device itself. Like other gear, some have better performance/specs than others.

I've even heard some arguments that surge supressors are not even necessary as more and more gear has that sort of stuff already built in, or is inherent in the design of the power supply.

For myself, I have a TrippLite surge supressor / noise filter on my signal/source gear, however my power amps, powered subwoofer, and TV have no external protection or line conditioning. Have never had a problem with any surge damage - cross my fingers and make sure my homeowner's insurance policy is paid.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Enrique, I would definitely run any cables you can through the surge protector. Especially in a T-storm heavy area like South Florida!

Like TR said, a surge protector won't produce any better performance from your components. EMI/RF filters and power regulators may improve your sound/audio, but that's dependent on your personal power/environmental situation. If you are interested, check out the DIY (do it yourself) balanced power unit (BPU) thread in our Mission Possible DIY forum. I've had this very unit in my system and did notice some improvement, but that's all in the thread. Good luck.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

A $10 surge supressor will protect you (sort of). I've seen electronics damaged first hand by power surges where the supressor was supposedly protecting and the surge simply arc'd and continued on.
        The cheap-o's have zero noise filtering and in fact will most likely introduce noise. You will get cleaner power going straight to the wall (but that negates the protection part). I'd consult with an electrician on options if you are considering whole house and from what I hear whole house is REALLY expensive. Where a power condition/noise supressor will come into play is if other motors and or elements that could introduce noise are on the same circuit, ie: dimmer switches are notorious for introducing noise as are fridges/freezers, hair dryers things like that. I don't think whole house will offer you cleaner power if somewhere down the same circuit is an element that's introducing noise into the line.

Throw the breaker and see what turns off to trace your plugs and equipment on the circuit.

I guess it depends on your goal... Power Conditioning is one and Surge protection is another.
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• shokhead
          • Jan 2005

Difference between a supressor and protector?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"