X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joelp
    • Nov 2004

Power conditioners for HT gear?

HI all,

I've been wondering as of late as to the effectiveness of power conditioners for home theatre equipment. For me it would be for my Receiver, DVD player tape deck, VCR, Sub and TV. I wonder though, are these AC line conditioners really much better than a $50 computer surge protector. What do they do that's different?

thanks,
  • ht_addict
    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Joelp
    HI all,

I've been wondering as of late as to the effectiveness of power conditioners for home theatre equipment. For me it would be for my Receiver, DVD player tape deck, VCR, Sub and TV. I wonder though, are these AC line conditioners really much better than a $50 computer surge protector. What do they do that's different?

thanks,
    They have better filters. Take a look at the internals of a Monster HTS5000mkII vs a Belken power bar and you see a huge difference in their construction. How much are you looking to spend?

ht_addict

Comment

• Joelp
      • Nov 2004

Well I need 7-8 plugs and it sounds pretty good as is, I'm only really concerned by the white noise coming out of the speakers when the system is on and nothing's playing. I don't know is a power conditioner will eliminate that or not. Let's say I don't want to spend more than 200.00 CAD on it.

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

HT Conditioners

Joelp,

HT line conditioners do work. I've experienced less white noise, better video, improved dynamics with the products I've owned. I've owned entry-level products to higher end solutions. Generally, the better (i.e. more expensive) the product, the better the performance. As for your budget, I'd suggest a Rotel RLC-900. Normally they are $200 USD but maybe you can find a deal or a used one. This unit can also handle an amp, should you go this path in the future. Hope this helps.

Comment

• Joelp
          • Nov 2004

I noticed the rotel RLC-900 and I haven't seen any specs on the web about it, I did read a review from 1995 and they state that it removes gound loop interference but not much else. Does anyone have one of these? do you know how does it stacks up against competitors?

thanks

here's the review:

Comment

• ht_addict
            • Dec 2002

Goto your local B&M stores and take a look at the Monster HTS1000mkII. Should be in your price range.

ht_addict

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Joelp,

I agree that the Monster HTS1000 is a good option. I or other people I know have had good results with both the Monster as well as the Rotel. Good luck.

Comment

• Joelp
                • Nov 2004

Well,

I went to the hifi centre on the weekend and told the dealer about my moise floor levels. He suggested that I try turning unplugging any motorized appliances on the same circuit to reduce the noise floor, and only after that consider getting an AC line conditioner.
                I went home perplexed that he didn't want me to spend my money and tried it out, it noticably reduced the noise floor to the point where I'm happy with it!
                Which is good because I'd rather devote that money to new Royd RR2 speakers.

thanks for all the recommendations

JoelP

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"