Any of you RSP-1098 owners have a review for the waiting masses yet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Any of you RSP-1098 owners have a review for the waiting masses yet?

I know you haven't had them long, but any initial impressions, comparisons, reviews, etc. would be sooooooooooo greatly appreciated.

Keith
    Keith
  • med
    • Jul 2003

Pictures too

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Okay, here we go. Remember I am still tweaking and burning in this beast. Here are my preliminary thoughts.

Pros:

1) I really love the TFT screen because it saves me from turning on my projector to view Direct TV and DVD (just remember this is composite video only, took me a minute to figure that one out, just wasn't reading the instructions properly). Thanks Tim of Rotel.

2) Pleathera of speaker adjustments and configurations, which seems to allow better blending of speakers.

3) Better dynamics on HT especially the rears ( I have a 5.1 configuration), I initially thought this may be psychoaudio, but my wife agreed (is this due to the DACS, or the littany of speaker adjustments or a combination of both).

4) Stereo sounds more dynamic, again I attribute this to the speaker adjustment and configuration menus, however I am still tweaking the stereo aspect.

5) Four 12 volt trigger options (one dedicated to Zone 2 only) and menu control of the trigger options based on your setup. This makes it easy for me to turn on my RCD-1070, (which lacks a remote power on) simply by pressing the input CD button on the Remote (sweet).

Cons:

1) Intermittent electrical pops when switching inputs or channels on Direct TV (still testing to narrow down the frequency of occurence). UHOH. :?

2) Relay switching clicking occurs, but again the manual states this is a normal occurence.

3) Remote didn't work out of the box. I went back to Myer-Emco and exchanged for my 1066 remote ( both were the 1050 models and I still use my Yamaha RAV as my primary remote).

Synopsis:

I am thoroughly enjoying my RSP-1098, and at this time consider my purchase to be worth the double price.

Your mileage may vary,

Azeke

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Azeke,

Super!!!

Yes, the TFT screen will be convenient. Can it be turned off or is it on all the time?

Guessing that, with all the configurations and adjustments, the bass management issue is a non-factor. Have you had time to look into that.

Glad to hear you feel it is a worthwhile upgrade and thanks again for taking the time.

Keith

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

Danbry, the manual states that the TFT can be turned off the same way the display on the 1066/1055 can be turned off, i.e., by pressing the OSD button for several seconds.

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

Thanks Scarp,

That was my main concern about the TFT screen.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Something to note that even when the TFT screen is turned off utilizing the OSD, when you make a volume adjustment, surround sound modification, etc., the screen flashes and reflects the information via the TFT for approximately 4 to 5 seconds (didn't time it) then the screen returns to the off state.

In reference to the bass management issue, I don't own a player capable of multi inputs (i.e. DVD-A, SACD) , but I will say that the 1098 allows you to implement individual crossovers for each set of speakers.

Azeke

Comment

• Scarp
                • Mar 2003

Azeke, if you have the TFT not turned off, does it continuously display the OSD or some other info? Or do you explicitly have to turn that on?
                My worry is wrt burn in of the TFT, which can happen if you leave the same thing standing on it for a long time.

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Scarp,

The TFT goes off once you exit the setup menu, unless you're running your DVD or some other video display (Cable, Direct TV) through the TFT, but you can even turn that off by changing the display video source in the menu or holding down the OSD button for several seconds.

Something to note you can adjust brightness and contrast on the TFT screen, I would probably recommend keeping the contrast as low as possible to avoid any screen issues down the road (IMHO).

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• Scarp
                    • Mar 2003

Azeke, thats great ... this takes away my worries.
                    Get some pics of the unit please

Comment

• suyver
                      • Dec 2002

Just curious: If you switch the power to the 1098 off and then back on again, does the TFT screen stay in the off-mode? Or do you need to switch the screen off manually every time you use the amp? (Having to turn off the display of my 1066 every time I use it is my #1 annoyance :evil: )

Cheers,
                      Freek Suyver.

Check out my home theater!
                      Check out my home theater!

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

Scarp,

I have just sent the 1098 pics to Andrew who said he would post them.

Excuse my tardiness everyone.

I've have just read that Andrew is on vacation, Danbry or Lex should I send the photos to you as well?

On a separate note:

Lex,

I apologize (you know why) ops: please accept.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Scarp
                          • Mar 2003

Azeke, if you can send them to my email address, I'll put them on my webpage and put them online here.
                          edit: email add removed.

Comment

• ejfiii
                            • May 2003

I was just at my Linn dealer listening to some Linn speakers and he had a new 1098 set up and working.

IT LOOKS OUTSTANDING

I think in a few years I could forgive the lack of balanced outputs on the looks factor alone. It really looks sweet. Didn't listen, but I am sure it sounds great too.

E. J.

My HT
                            My HT

Comment

• Azeke
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2003

Scarp,

I sent the 1098 pics to your e-mail address. Thanks for posting them for everyone.

E.J.,

I told you it was sweet, my wife found out that I had purchased it and she said take it back. I responded "I can't." :LOL:

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Scarp
                                • Mar 2003

Here are the pics of Azeke's Rotel

Pretty sweet indeed.

ps. Do *NOT* link these pics somewhere else please.

Comment

• Azeke
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2003

Suyver,

The screen when the 1098 is initially powered up flashes the RSP-1098 logo and provides a system status, and then it reverts back to the last setting (based on the display source). The display options are as follows (if memory serves me correctly):

1) Display Source: Off, Source, Video1, Video2, etc.
                                  2) Contrast (White Level): +/- 12 (unsure)
                                  3) Brightness (Black Level): +/- 12 (unsure)
                                  4) Progessive: Yes/No
                                  5) OSD Output: Monitor, Screen, Screen & Monitor

Hope this helps,

Azeke

P.S. Has anyone else purchased the 1098 yet, I being overwhelmed with inquiries :LOL: .

Comment

• Danbry39
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Sep 2002

Nice Azeke, very nice.

Keith
                                    Keith

Comment

• Azeke
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2003

Thanks Danbry.

Azeke

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

Azeke, nice! Why you apologizing to me though, I guess my memory isn't working.

FYI on the relay switches. Relay switches are actually better quality and longer lasting than quiter switches. My Mark Levinson 336 switches on with relays, as do my Proceed amps. I think my MC-12 does, but I would have to doublecheck that. It's pretty quite coming on really.

Lex
                                        Doug
                                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Azeke
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2003

Thanks Lex,

I apologized in error for posting the RSP-1098 availability, which referenced a location, and I thought it was deleted. So I guess you can consider this a future apology, my bad. ops:

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• YLIM
                                            • Jul 2003

Greetings, this is my first post. Have been browsing a while but have finally registered.

Just got the 1098 on Thursday to replace my 1066 and have been running it in. Did some listening today. First impressions are quite promising though think it needs more run in before a real comparison can be made. These are my impressions so far.

Home theatre

Wider dynamic range, more ambient info, sound seems more spacious, better layering and better integration between fronts and rear. Overall, effect seems more seamless and tone more natural and the increased retrieval of ambient info (little things like gusts of wind, leaves rustling etc) helps a great deal in making experience more real. Rear channel processing in particular seems to have come up a notch.

Extremely flexible speaker setup (crossovers etc) which helps to integrate different sized speakers a lot better. I have similar brand speakers, but of different sizes, so the choice of crossover for each set is a big bonus. Frankly, I think this is where some of the difference in being able to get a more seamless soundstage comes in.

SACD via direct analog inputs seems cleaner, and important thing for me is that you can turn the base management off and opt for full analog on the multi inputs, something I had trouble with on the 1066. Background seems quieter than on the 1066. Probably matching with the SACD player plays a part here but think the sound gets through cleaner on the 1098.

Also, I had trouble with using the 1066 as a component input switch, picture via projector had some distortion coming through in the form of very faint horizontal green strips (grounding?). I didn't have this with my previous Yamaha and it's cleared up on the 1098. With the 1066, had to go for direct input into the DVD player to avoid this problem. However, I still think the 1066 is a good processor, but the 1098 seems a significant improvement, which I guess it probably should be. I can't pretend to have got it fully set up yet, that will probably take a few more weekends!

Best Regards

Comment

• Danbry39
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Sep 2002

Wow, what a great first post YLIM. Hope you post more. Sounds like the 1098 raises the bar pretty nicely, both sonically and ergonomically.

Keith
                                              Keith

Comment

• Azeke
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2003

YLIM,

Finally, another 1098 companion, welcome to the fold. I know you are as excited as I was in this upgrade. You have confirmed my thoughts on this pre/pro. You will enjoy it even more as it breaks in, the dynamics increase (can you believe it's gets even better) and you have to readjust your speaker configurations relative to breakin and burn time. Now it's confirmed this is not just psychoaudio.

Don't forget to share your negative experiences as well, these are the things that will help in the next software upgrade.

Anyone else out there with the 1098, don't be apprehensive to share your initial thoughts, both positive and negative.

Again congratulations YLIM, I am indeed happy for you.

I am not alone :thanku:

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Sep 2002

Azeke's right. Let's keep it going and get more input from Chapter 1098 of International Club Rotel.

You guys are providing a wonderful service to all those sitting on the fence about upgrading.

Keith
                                                  Keith

Comment

• Jim Mc
                                                    • Jun 2003

I must apologize guys and gals. Although I was one of the first to receive my 1098 I have yet to sound an audio note from it. Work and a family emergency as well as a desire to "Clean up the wiring" at the same time have all been impediments. But I should be up and running tonight or in the AM.

The Stargate
                                                    http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=66116202303&n=1123730486

The Stargate

Comment

• Jim Mc
                                                      • Jun 2003

I must apologize guys and gals. Although I was one of the first to receive my 1098 I have yet to sound an audio note from it. Work and a family emergency as well as a desire to "Clean up the wiring" at the same time have all been impediments. But I should be up and running tonight or in the AM.

The Stargate

The Stargate

Comment

• YLIM
                                                        • Jul 2003

Many thks for the warm welcome guys. I must add that I got a lot of help from this forum when I bought my 1066, though it was only after I had it that I found this site - always nice to be able to return the favour.

Currently, find the playback for music via multi input to be a bit on the cool/dry side, maybe a touch bright. Guess this will improve after set runs in - though think this also indicates that component matching and cables may be something to spend some time looking at. HT playback is improving and quite impressive.

Best rgds and see you all here soon.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Sep 2002

ylim,

I'd let it break in for a while, then talk to Lex. He'll take your listening tastes, environment, equipment all into consideration, then make a great recommendation that's pretty spot on. When I got cables from him, he wanted to know EVERYTHING, then advised me to get some that cost less, as he felt they would best serve me sonically. I wouldn't say this if it wasn't great quality goods, for a VERY reasonable price. Besides, it's great to get "cooked" cables that are already broken in, rather than having to start the break in process all over again.

Thanks also for the info on the sonic characteristics of the multi input. People don't always realize how important that is when matching with speakers, cables, etc.. Let us know if the sonic signature changes (smooths out, warms up, etc.) as it breaks in.

Hope all of you keep the comments coming. You're all starting to paint a great picture of the unit in our minds. ;x( :T

Keith
                                                          Keith

Comment

• efarstad
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Jun 2001

Also, I had trouble with using the 1066 as a component input switch, picture via projector had some distortion coming through in the form of very faint horizontal green strips (grounding?).
                                                            My 1066 was doing the same thing so I sent it to Rotel to have it fixed...they did find the problem and replaced the video board. Mike Sheehan from Rotel said that if anyone is having the same problem to contact him directly at Msheehan@equityaudio.com.

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                                            E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                                            E-Cinema

Comment

• Jim Mc
                                                              • Jun 2003

Well I am FINALLY done installing my 1098. I rewired my entire rack with cable management as the goal.

PROs
                                                              This thing is cool.

The ability to tie different inputs together sure eases configuration. Flexible and easily configuarable bass management.

It also allowed me to simplify the macros when reconfiguring my remote (Niles-Intellicontrol).

The picture quality of the front display is stunning. You can view one source on the front screen while viewing a second on your projector. This might be great for cueing up something special.

CONs :?
                                                              Even when the front display is off it will come back on briefly with every volume change input. This is very distracting in a dark theater.

Ticks and pops are heard through the speakers while executing macros. THis might be from my Grafik Eye changing scenes but it was not a problem with my Parasound PreAmp combo (PSP/PDD 1500s). I am going to try different outlets and maybe a different power conditioner.

BUMMER
                                                              Just as I finished all my setup the lamp in my projector failed. So it will be a few days before I really get to kick back and enjoy the 1098.

The Stargate

The Stargate

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Sep 2002

Jim,

Bummer is right!!! Talk about poor timing.

The display issue concerns me too.

Have you had a chance to listen to any music yet?

Keith
                                                                Keith

Comment

• Scarp
                                                                  • Mar 2003

Jim, maybe lower the brightness of the display a bit.

Also, flashing on for volume ... that was also the case with the 1066, even after pressing the OSD button for several seconds which turns of the display, the volume will be shown for a few seconds when changing that.

On the other side ... with a properly calibrated system you shouldn't have to change the volume during a movie. It should be set at the start and left alone during the movie. If you need to turn it lower/higher then you already where distracted

Comment

• danam
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2003

Hi all ! I'm getting to see and hear the beast tomorrow end of afternoon ! don't know yet if we'll have the time to test both HT and Hi-fi ! (esp. vs the 1066) !

I just put my digital camera in my backpack to take pics !
                                                                    I'll post them here

Talk to u tomorrow then !

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Sep 2002

Great Danam,

Will try to wait patiently for your impressions...and the pics.

Keith
                                                                      Keith

Comment

• danam
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2003

okie !
                                                                        I'll try to remember the 1098 costs more than twice the 1066 !
                                                                        (3500 € list price for the 1098 vs 1600 € for the 1066)

if you want and interested, I'll show u pics of a french reseller, if he agrees, of course (and I'm sure he will) !

he's a great guy and know how to listen to ppl requests ! very human and pro ... good reseller, i'm telling u !

Comment

• danam
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2003

okie !
                                                                          I'll try to remember the 1098 costs more than twice the 1066 !
                                                                          (3500 € list price for the 1098 vs 1600 € for the 1066)

if you want and interested, I'll show u pics of a french reseller, if he agrees, of course (and I'm sure he will) !

he's a great guy and know how to listen to ppl requests ! very human and pro ... good reseller, i'm telling u !

Comment

• danam
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2003
                                                                            • 25

hmmm i can't seem to be able to edit my posts, i get this message :

Sorry, but you are not the message's author and you are not a
                                                                            moderator/administrator. Only the messages original author can
                                                                            edit the message and the forum's moderators/administrators.

can someone help ? plus the auto-logging on doesnt seem to work neither, i still have to enter my login / pw everytime i want to post something ...

btw, sorry for the double post up ... ops:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 16507

#39
                                                                              I have a feeling next week is going to drag on while mine's still in transit...between waiting for the 1098 and a new projector next week could feel like a month :twisted:

Comment

• teekster
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2003
                                                                                • 23

#40
                                                                                I'm new here, but a long time Rotel fan. I was told that my dealer's 1st shipment will come in late August. This is killing me. I am very envious of those of you who are getting one now.

Comment

• danam
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Jul 2003
                                                                                  • 25

#41
                                                                                  Andrew, what u getting for a new projector ?

I know what u mean about the one week wait ...
                                                                                  I dreamed of my 1066 and my hk amps for weeks !
                                                                                  even woke me up during night ! hehehe

Comment

• mazuly
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Feb 2003
                                                                                    • 238

#42
                                                                                    Hi guys,

I am still waiting for my 1098 and hopefully I get it around mid Aug (are you listening ZX 6R).

I am very excited/jealous reading all the comments of the new owners and will try to provide some feedback as soon as I receive mine.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 16507

#43
                                                                                      Andrew, what u getting for a new projector ?
                                                                                      Likely the Sanyo Z1

Comment

• danam
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2003
                                                                                        • 25

#44
                                                                                        Here I am !
                                                                                        We heard the 1098 with some HK Amps on Divatech Speakers.
                                                                                        It was impressive, sharp and spacious, we had the "did u plug the center speaker ?" effect ! the singer was in front of us ...
                                                                                        Unfortunatly we didn't have the time to compare it to the 1066.
                                                                                        We'll try to do that in mid-august ...

Ok here are some pictures ...

et voilà !

sorry for the lack of infos but we really were short on time ...

cya soon for more pics and feelings !

Comment

• danam
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2003
                                                                                          • 25

#45
                                                                                          sorry for posting like that but i can't edit my own posts ...

since the pics links r not working, here is the link :

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"