X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

RSP-1098 HELP...what am I doing wrong?!

Okay I just got my RSP-1098 hooked up and I'm having a problem with it...

Well I should say first off, the 1098 does indeed sound really really good. I would say that my old Yamaha RX-v1400 was on the same path as the 1098, but the 1098 is just more...in your face and enveloping it seems! It really blankets you with sound where the Yamaha did not seem to... so in that respect COOL.

Now to my issue... and maybe it's just me since I'm a newbie...

Every time I pause my DVD player (using LOTR-ROTK: EE with DTS 6.1) you hear the relays kick off (or on or whatever it does)...now if you wait about 10 - 15 seconds you hear the relays click again, and after that I get NO sound from the DVD player. The only way I can get the sound back is to switch from Video1 input to another input then back... WTF is up with that?!

I'm using the Coaxial connection, but might try switching over to the optical and see if it does that... That's really annoying because I do pause the movies a lot because I'm constantly doing thing while watching.... or I should say that when I pause, I don't just pause for 5 seconds and play it again... The pausing is normally delayed for a minute or so or longer.

So what am I doing wrong...is this normally like this with the 1098? If so...as much as I am really liking what I've heard from it, this just doesn't seem right that I can't pause a movie for more than 4 or 5 seconds without the relays kicking over... and definitely will make me consider hard whether it's really been worth the money...

Let me say that I don't really want to take it back from what I've heard...but I'm just so confused!

Can anyone help, or lead me as to what I'm doing wrong?

I'm going to go try a DD movie and see if that does it?!

Thanks for your help!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

UPDATE
    Okay...so I watched the receiver...it goes from DTS 6.1 Dis. over to Dolby PLII on the display, as soon as it says that, a second or so later you hear the relay kick over...after that I can't get the DTS stream back unless I switch the audio on the DVD player or switch inputs on the 1098...

If watching a DD track, the receiver does not do this...?

What the heck! I mean I can understand it going back over...but why won't it re-initialize the DTS track when playback starts again? My yamaha never had this problem, so I don't think it's the DVD player (pioneer dv-563a)...?!!?
    -Dan

Comment

• will1066
      • Aug 2003

That's strange, indeed. I'm not even sure why it's going back to Dolby ProLogic II when the player is paused. My understanding is the signal from the player doesn't get cut off unless it is completely stopped, not simply on pause.

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

It doesn't matter if I pause or stop the DVD, if I stop the DVD and hit play again, it will not even pick it back up... I have to either cycle through the audio tracks on the DVD player, or change the inputs on the Receiver...it seems.
        -Dan

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

What DVD player are you using? There have been reports that some don't resend the DTS flag correctly when paused or stopped. IE, there should be a flag everytime the stream is restarted.

The reason it goes to PLII is because when it looses the DTS stream it defaults to PLII when the singal type is unknown. After a bit I'm guessing the DVD player quits sending any signal and the 1098 defaults to the analog inputs of the DVD input. When no flag is returned with the stream starting the 1098 is lost. Changing inputs and back reverts the 1098 into auto-search to try and find the correct mode. Changing audio on the DVD player resends the correct flag.

This is one of those "rotel is technically to spec" problems, that cheaper more massed produced products have no issues with..

Kevin D.

Comment

• DrJRapp
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2003

I agree with Kevin that it may be an issue with your DVD player. I have two players a Bravo D1, which causes my 1098 to behave as you describe, and a Samsung HD841 which does not cause the 1098 to hiccup. Processors are basically computers and the old saying "garbage-in...garbage-out frequently applies.
            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

Yeah I agree, it just sort of stinks that my Yamaha, when ever you paused it, it would switch from DTS/DD to PLIIx and then whenever you played it again it was able to pull the signal again...

Shame a $899 receiver can do something quite simple that a $3000 one can't...

I guess I was just really looking forward to this unit and it's like a little thing that sort of brings you down. Like buying a new car only to find out there's a recall on it the day after you get it.

On the up side, I can tell that the sound is improving on the unit as it's been used all day. In the beginning it seemed a little "thin" I guess, and it seems like it's opening up... The sound stage being so much larger is almost tough to get used to...

The quality of the sound is on par with the Yamaha, but just has that little bit something extra too it. The only way I can describe it is the new Rotel (after one day of use) is showing almost everything I loved about the yamaha, and I'm sure will only get better with time. Though I think that does go to show how well Yamaha has done with their Receivers for the price.
              -Dan

Comment

• lcajiga
                • Aug 2003

DVD Setup

Hi, did you checked the DVD setup? Some DVD's you may specify to output only Digital or both D/PCM. I have a friend that had it setup for downstream conversion and had problems watching movies in DD or DTS. Just shooting stars. My Yamaha DVD keeps sending the correct signal even if I pause for half an hour. I have it setup to both digital and PCM. Another thing to check is what default you have for the DVD input in the 1098. Maybe switching may help.

Regards,
                Luis
                Regards,
                Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

They thanks for the tips Luis...

I haven't gotten a real chance to play around with it. I did hook up a cheap (free) JVC DVD player and it worked fine with the rotel. One pause the unit didn't change from DTS mode at all, the next pause it jumped to PLIIx - Cinema, but as soon as I unpaused it, it went right back to DTS. So I think it's something with the Pioneer DVD player...which isn't the best DVD player, but I'm happy with it. I'm going to check those settings I believe I have it all set for no conversion what so ever, so that everything is sent "as is" with no downstream conversion. But I'll check again, I've been known to mess things up! :T

...but I'm thinking it's most likely the DVD player...and isn't a super bad issue, just annoying...

If worse comes to worse, I'll just have to start my search for a new DVD player sometime in the summer. Though I don't really want to do that if I can avoid it...trying to get a house is the most important step right now I think.
                  -Dan

Comment

• Orange Peel
                    • Nov 2004

Dan - Did your 1098 come with the most current firmware version? If not download the new firmware and see what that might do, just an idea, if mine does this crap, ohhhhh man, I may be selling it right away, my Denon DVD 1600 never did this with my Elite, and if it does with the 1098, I may be testing out the B&K Ref 50
                    Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

My firmware is the 3.01.something, so it's the newest version I believe.

I'm betting your Denon won't have a problem. I'm going to try a toshiba DVD player (crap DVD player again) and my other Pioneer I have available...I'm betting none of them do it... Just a funny feeling I have.

I think somewhere I read once (when I purchased it) that some people had issues because the DVD player does not re-send the flags...it's like a nagging hunch I have in the back of my mind that I read that somewhere...but I think someone said that the Yamaha I had was so lienent that it wouldn't matter one bit...

Trust me, my $130 Pioneer DV-563a DVD player probably doesn't stand up worth anything to your Denon.
                      -Dan

Comment

• dermie999
                        • Jul 2004

Lets be fair here guys.

There seems to be a propensity to expect miracles from Rotel.

I see nothing in this thread that tells me there was anything wrong with the 1098 but more so with the Pioneer DVD.

OK so the Rotel handled the pause differently from the Yamaha. But lets face it the 1098 connected to a JVC DVD player continued correctly after pausing. My 1098 behaves itself both with my previous Yamaha DVD player and my Denon 2900 DVD player. Tells me Rotel are doing something right.

Trevor

Comment

• PewterTA
                          • Nov 2004

I agree, the more I look at it, I think it's just like Kevin said, that with Rotel strickly following things (which is what gives them the great sound that they do produce)...I think that's what's causing the problem... I really should probably look into investing into something later down the line here (once this is paid off)... Then I'll get myself a good DVD player.

At least it plays the DTS tracks with amazing clarity and presence to the sound stage! So as long as it plays...I will work to figure out if I can get it fixed, or sell it and get a new one later on...

But it always worries one when they first get something new and things don't work, when they did the old way... ...but I always try to give myself time enough time to really figure out what the true problem is. I'm hoping there might be a firmware update or something that can be done to see if that corrects the problem.
                          -Dan

Comment

• DrJRapp
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                            I agree with Kevin that it may be an issue with your DVD player. I have two players a Bravo D1, which causes my 1098 to behave as you describe, and a Samsung HD841 which does not cause the 1098 to hiccup. Processors are basically computers and the old saying "garbage-in...garbage-out frequently applies.
                            Ok guys, I now have a variation on the theme. My RSP 1098 just started to kick out of DTS on DVD layer changes, and my DVD player is one of the fastest on layer changes according to Secrets. Annoying, very annoying. anyone experience something similar?
                            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

lol...

Mine doesn't kick on out layer changes... Sorry I have to laugh at that one. I know the Pioneer is real slow on layer changes, I know where everyone is in the movies because I watch it pause... I'm not sure if the 1098 ever changes...if anything it might do where it displays the DTS on the screen (meaning it lost the signal right?). Then before the relay would switch (taking it off DTS mode) it goes back off as the movie continues...

It seems very random as to when the 1098 decides to kick off or not (doesn't happen all the time with the same discs)... Weird.

I just watched iRobot (DTS) and it didn't once come off the DTS track...but it did sound good!

I found out for me, if I just cycle through the audio tracks if I've paused it tooo long, the player has to resend the flag and the 1098 works fine.
                              -Dan

Comment

• greve
                                • Oct 2004

I have exactly the same problems as PewterTA (and others) but not the layer change problem that DrJRapp reported.

My usual DVD-Player Denon DVD-3800 does not cause a problem with DTS streams, but that one is in for repair at the moment, so I connected my old Philips DVD 751 with same cables and same everything - and my RSP-1098 then started the problem with not coming back on (DTS) track 8) after pause. My conclusion was problem with the Philips DVD-Player and it seems that people here agree that the RSP-1098 is not at fault. But annoying it is... Luckily I will get my Denon DVD-3800 back soon... :P

There is no problem during layer change, whether DTS or DD.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"