X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doodleboytoy
    • Jun 2003

Best speakers for Rotel gear.

Yes yes, Rotel can make any speakers sing but what ARE the best speakers to match with Rotel equipments.

Just for fun- would you like to share your Rotel set-up too?
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Well, I've loved my Klipsch Reference speakers using the Rotel 1066 and a Parasound 1205A amp, but I was thinking of pulling the trigger on some ACI's, which are supposed to be wonderfully musical speakers with an absolutely great reputation. Something came up tonight which is going to drain away all the money I put away for my next upgrade, so I may have to put that plan on hold. The ACI's I was thinking of getting have compared more than favorably to some pretty high-end speakers, but I can't give an opinion yet until/if I get them. Sometimes, life just takes sudden, unexpected turns.

But, for slam, the Klipsch are absolutely fantastic, although a love them or hate them kind of thing exists. Which brings me to my main point: I don't think there is one favorite match for the Klipsch, given the range of ears we got around here.

That said, I'd also love to hear what floats each of your boats sonically as far as speakers are concerned. There was a similar thread a while back, but we have a bunch of new people here, so this should be interesting. I already know there are some big Paradigm fans around.

All that I ask is that each and every one of us respects the tastes of all that post. Whether they like the brand of another or not is not the point. I'm pretty sure most owners did pick out what they considered the best speaker for them, given factors such as their pocketbook, tastes, and what's available to them. Most people around here, I"m sure, would just as soon avoid the type contentious thread that so often infects certain other forums.

It might also be interesting to hear other equipment they love. For instance, I love my Arcam CD player. I love my Parasound amp.

Let's have a speaker and other equipment Love Fest. Hope this is in keeping with what you wanted doodleboytoy.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• hanser
      • May 2002

I have all B&W and am very content

front CDM 7NT
      center CDM
      back Matrix 1/II (old bookshelf model, the first with the inner matrix structure)

Comment

• Bill Blank
        • Sep 2002

I'm very happy with the way the sound with my Vienna Acoustics system:

Mozart
        Maestro
        Haydn

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
        Rotel RMB-1075
        Rega Planet 2000
        Denon DVD-2900
        Mitsubishi WS-55411
        Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
        Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
        Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
        Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• Mats
          Special Member
          • Jun 2000

i run four paradigm studio 80's, the studio center channel and a pw2200 on my 1066/1075 combination. couldn't be happier.

b&w sure is a great matchup, i auditioned that lineup as well back when i was making my decision.
          Mats
          Mats Strömberg
          Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
          Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• thedarklobster
            • Jul 2003

I have Energy Veritas 2.4's for the mains, Energy Veritas 2.0 CC, Energy Veritas 2.0R rears, and a Paradigm 2200 sub. They sound amazing and I'm glad that I made the jump from Paradigm to Energy. What a difference!
            Shane

Comment

• Rock Dog
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2003

One Word!

BOSE :T

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Rock Dog
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2003

I love my Mirage gear.

OM-6 (mains)
                OM-C2 (center)
                OM-R2 (rear surround)
                BPS-400 (BASS)

Rotel 1066/1095 feeding 'em

I had a Yamaha RX-2095V prior to the ROTEL gear. I had a Sony ES receiver as a demo for a bit, and even hooked my friends Denon receiver to check it out with the Mirage stuff. Both the Sony and Denon were comparible spec wise, to the Yammie.

Slight differences with all 3. I was very happy with my Yammie. But once I bought and hooked up the ROTEl gear. 8O It was night and day. I had a whole new set of speakers on my hands. The difference was truly amazing.
                I thought they sounded great before, and didn't even know what I was missing.

Again, I love my all my Mirage speakers.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Comment

• george king
                  • Dec 2000

I have GR Research AV-1s paired with a 1075 amp (currently using a Yamaha 995 as preamp for a little while longer). These, like the ACI speakers, are wonderfully musical and great for HT. A review can be found over at the Secrets page.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I'm using some custom built mains, centre, rear surround and subwoofers. The side speakers are Energy RVSS bipoles.

Comment

• Danbry39
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2002

BOSE
                      LOL. Now I understand what you meant by buyers remorse at my sissy boy buyers thread last night. :LOL: By the way, that post last night was so funny that I dragged my wife over to read it. You had us both rolling.

George, I'm heading right over to Secrets to read that review. I've heard nothing but the best about GR Research. It's really nice to read that you've also heard of the ACI's.

Keith
                      Keith

Comment

• george king
                        • Dec 2000

Danbry39

It was a real close call between the ACIs and the GR Research speakers for me. In the end, it came down to cost, as I got a good deal on the cabinents from Brian Bunge, and the pair (with all the upgrades) only cost about $500. I recently added the center (made a big difference, and the Rotel does them justice), and will eventually build some rears.

Comment

• Scarp
                          • Mar 2003

B&W Nautilus 804
                          B&W Nautilus HTM1 center
                          (without proper rears now, to be replaced by B&W Nautilus 805).

Powered by:
                          Rotel RSP1066 (to be replaced by a RSP1098)
                          Rotel RB1090 (for the fronts)
                          Rotel RMB1075 (bi-amped center + rears).

To me this combination is incredible.

Comment

• Azeke
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2003

Doodleboytoy,

I am running the following equipment:

Mirage OM7-Fronts
                            Mirage OC2-Center
                            DefTech BPV-Rears
                            RMB-1095-Heart
                            RSP-1066-Soul
                            Sunfire Sub MarkIV-Guts

The Rotel gear provides a vast improvement over my previous gear.
                            I am indeed happy with this configuration, however my wife has a different opinion (i.e. when are you coming to bed, response: very soon :LOL: ).

I'm with Rock Dog, I love my Mirage gear.

Azeke

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

For anyone interested, I broke down and ordered the ACI's this morning. All who know me, know I'm my wife's love slave. Despite a huge, unexpected hit on our finances last night, she bade me to go ahead and buy the speakers. Not wishing to submit to her scorn, I, teary eyed, gave into her cruel demands. You don't want to be me. ops:

Keith
                              Keith

Comment

• Azeke
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2003

Indeed Danbry, Hell hath no fury like a women scorned :twisted: .

Azeke

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
                                  • Jul 2003

Rotel RSP-985/Rotel RMB-1095/NHT SA-3 to bi amp NHT VT-2.4's with surrounds and center VS2.4's. Very pleased with the combination. Believe they are a very musical pairing.

Jeff

Comment

• Entice
                                    • Nov 2002

Arcam CD Player (mmmmmm pure delight)
                                    RSP 1066 Processor (mmmm not too shabby, but excellent value for money)
                                    RMB 1095 (Nothing succeeds like excess)
                                    Dynaudio Contour Mains
                                    Dynaudio Contour Centre
                                    Dynaudio Audience Rears (couldnt afford the contours for the rear!)
                                    Dynaudio Audience Sub (Have you guys priced the contour sub? Yummy!)
                                    Definitely a system set up for 2 channel, but with capability of decent 5.1!

Comment

• pbarata
                                      • Feb 2003

I think that the right combination is difficult to achieve, as Rotel gear can really drive easily many branches of speakers, and different models in the same branch. Once I read that we should spend twice the price of the power amp in speakers but I've some doubts about that "rule". I've Monitor Audio Silver 8i for fronts, Silver 5i for surround and Silver 10i for centre and I'm quite happy. Monitor Audio are know for their transparency and detail, which I need for the type of music I love to listen to (mostly Jazz and acoustic music in general).). But I confess I still evaluate the chance to replace my speakers.
                                      Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                                      Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• gshisme
                                        • May 2003

Ah Yes..Rotel 1075/1066 with Polk LSi15's for mains, Polk LSiC center and Polk LSiFX's bipole/dipole for surrounds. IC's are Transparent Musiclink Plus. Digital links are Tranparent Digital Link Coax and speaker cable isTransparent Musicwave Plus.

Even at 4 ohms and sensitivity of 88 the Rotel drives them with a smile. Not quite as big as mine however.

suds, suds, and more suds
                                        suds, suds, and more suds

Comment

• Matt Sprouls
                                          • Apr 2003

Rotel 1055
                                          Rotel 1095
                                          Thiel 2.4 main
                                          Thiel MCS1 center
                                          Paradigm Reference SA-25 rear
                                          MartinLogan Depth sub
                                          Regards,
                                          Matt

Comment

• Ryan_MF
                                            • Apr 2003

RSX-1055 (to be used as pre/pro until I go 7.1)
                                            RMB-1075 (on order, arriving Fri)
                                            RDV-1060 (whenever I can get one)
                                            Dynaudio Audience 122 mains
                                            Dynaudio Audience 122 center
                                            Dynaudio Audience 42 surrounds
                                            Velodyne FSX-12

Comment

• wng
                                              • Dec 2002

B&W is generally known to be one of the best matches with Rotel.

My setup (5.1, only approx. 10 by 15 ft room) is

RSP-1066, RMB-1075
                                              B&W CDM 7NT, CDM CNT, DM600 S3, ASW600
                                              I use Nordost Flatline MkII biwire cable for all three front channels. (Considering moving up the Nordost line.)

Just as a side, there seems to be a few Arcam CD player owners on this board (Danbry, entice, energeezer more recently...). My favorite component is my DiVA CD92. I have Kimber Kable KCAG between the Arcam, pre/pro, and power amp. The Arcam and pre/pro are also plugged into a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet.

What floats my boat... hmm, transparency and clarity more than anything else. I'm not very concerned about gut-punching bass, just as long as it's tight and tuneful along the spectrum. I also like detailed highs. I think all the components in my setup make a sound that's headphone-like in detail and transparency, although upgraditis makes it a work-in-progress still.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Sep 2002

wng,

I have the 72T ( a lower model than yours). I did a whirlwind couple of days of intense auditioning at several places when I couldn't live with my Harman Kardon anymore. The Arcams were just that, perfect for me, blend of crystal clear detail, forward without being harsh or fatiguing, open, well defined sound that really made me just enjoy my music so much more than before. I listen much more frequently to CD's now. I'm also noticed how many Arcam users there are here and am proud I can be among your ranks. I might consider the 92T upgrade down the line, but, if I get my new speakers, that will have to wait.

Keith
                                                Keith

Comment

• SomaJoe
                                                  • Jul 2003

What exactly IS the relationship between B&W and Rotel (if any)?
                                                  Their brochures, websites, etc. seem to show pictures of the other, and it seems like dealers of one are also dealers of the other.

-j

Joe's HT
                                                  Joe's HT

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

I believe B&W and Rotel both share the same distributor (equity audio) at least here in north america...not sure if the links go higher then that (I get the feeling they might)

Comment

• ZX 6R
                                                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                                      I believe B&W and Rotel both share the same distributor (equity audio) at least here in north america...not sure if the links go higher then that (I get the feeling they might)
                                                      The links go quite a bit higher. Classe has been added to the stable as well. The synnergy between the products is good now but it will be even better in the future.

Comment

• Rock Dog
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2003

My understanding of the link between B&W and ROTEL. Is This.

Each brand uses the other when tuning their equipment. So ROTEL uses B&W speakers mostly (probably because they are readily available through the distrubution deal) when fine tuning their gear for the "ear," outside of the test equipment bed. Like wise, B&W uses ROTEL gear to fine tune their drivers in the same manner. So there is a developement relationship, that makes the 2 products very compatible.

That's my understanding of it anyway... :huh:

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• Jsapp
                                                          • Jun 2003

I have RSX 1055 with Paradigm Monitor 7 fornts CC370 center, Mini Monitor rears and a PW 2200 SUB. For home theatre it is very good. For music (I run the monitor 7s as small in 2CH and let bthe PW 2200 which I think is a fantastic value in canada take the bass load of the the RSX) I give them a good. I have heard B&W Rotel setups at the dealear and admit they are far superior on music to my setup but probably more than double the price.

I'd love to upgrade mine to maybe Paradigm studio series. I think Rotel gear is so clear that they probably is no best match. If the speaker is better then it will sound better if it is cruddy it will sound cruddy where as with some lower quality recievers you need to get speakers that won't reavel flaws of the reciever or pre pro.

I'd love to hear a nice KEF Rotel setup I heard the Kefs powered by a yamaha and they sounded great so I bet Kef and Rotel would be smooooth.

Comment

• banzaii
                                                            • May 2003

Rotel RSX-1065
                                                            Opera Operetta (front)
                                                            Opera Voce (center)
                                                            Opera Mini (rear)

Stunningly beautiful speakers, visually and sonicly. Extremly smooth midrange and great imaging.

Comment

• spiffnme
                                                              • Apr 2003

Hmmm...I'm surprised I'm the only owner of Axiom around here. Here is my setup.

RSP-1066
                                                              RMB-1075
                                                              Pioneer 656A (dvd/dvd-a)
                                                              Axiom M60ti (mains)
                                                              Axiom VP150 (center)
                                                              Polk LS f/x (surrounds)
                                                              Hsu VTF-2 (subwoofer)

Super clear, clean and detailed. I've been very, very happy with my Axiom products. The Hsu is a real champion as well. Upgraditis has me sniffing around a new surround speakers, and a better dvd player. Though my wallet says otherwise.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                                                              All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Sep 2002

spiffnme,

Many want to buy speakers that they've been able to audition in-shop.

Buying off the internet with products you haven't even auditioned can be intimidating. What happens if I don't like them? Then I'm out-of-pocket the shipping costs and back to ground zero as far as finding new speakers. I guess that's why there are places like Audioenvy.com.

As to people like you and me who are willing to go the internet-only route, I personally have a hard time auditioning speakers I might want to buy in a showroom. They always seem to sound so different when I get them home, so I'm willing to risk shipping costs to try out speakers in my home, with my equipment, for 30 days. Of course, you'd better do as much research and groundwork as possible before going this route to minimize the chances of making a mistake. But, I feel people who go this route can be rewarded very nicely, both sonically and in the pocketbook.

For what it's worth, I almost ordered Axioms and a couple of other internet-only brands, before deciding to try out the ACI's first. Like you, I bought a Hsu VTF-2 and have been really happy with it - despite the fact that I had never heard it prior to purchase.

There's a section in HTGuide where Lex is asking for suggestions on possible new clubs here at HTGuide. My suggestion was a club for internet-only companies like Axiom and ACI.

I guess this is another of those different strokes for different folks kind of deals. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

George, and perhaps Andrew, go the extra step and build their own from kids.

By the way George, if you're still with us here, have you heard the GR Research A/V 2's? If the ACI's don't work out due to the fact that the Sapphires aren't magnetically shielded, I might go that route in that you can order them shielded.

Keith
                                                                Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2000

George, and perhaps Andrew, go the extra step and build their own from kids.
                                                                  Keith i think you might be a little mistaken on the materials involved in DIY speakers...its not these :baby:

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Sep 2002

ops: All I want to know is if you're denying it Andrew. :rf

Keith
                                                                    Keith

Comment

• george king
                                                                      • Dec 2000

Danbry39,

Still here. I have never heard the AV-2's but everyone says they sound even better. There are several pairs touring the country for demo. You can contact Danny at GR Research to get the details, but essentially, you get the speakers for a week, and then send them to the next person on the list.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Sep 2002

Thanks George,

My ACI's are in transit and should be here next Thursday. The Sapphires are not magnetically shielded and they recommend they be placed 18" from the TV. Still, I've heard that the guts of RPTV's are buried so deep that it hopefully won't be a problem. If that doesn't work out, I think I would try the GR Researches next, unless I could get a great deal on Taylors over at Audiogon. I've already checked it out and she absolutely fell in love with the looks of the A/V II's.

Keith
                                                                        Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Sep 2002
                                                                          • 1584

Double post.

Sorry ops:

Keith
                                                                          Keith

Comment

• Lex
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Apr 2001
                                                                            • 27461

Anyone using Sonus faber?

Lex
                                                                            Doug
                                                                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2002
                                                                              • 162

#39
                                                                              I believe I'm the only JBL lover here

I have as fronts the Ti-K10, rears the Ti-K2, and for front and rear center the Ti-K1.

Hooked on RSP1066, RDV1080, RT1080, RB1070, RB985MKII and the RDC991AE.

------------------------------------------------------
                                                                              Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!
                                                                              ------------------------------------------------------
                                                                              Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Sep 2002
                                                                                • 1584

#40
                                                                                Well, I don't own Sonus Fabers, but, if it's any consulation, your excitement when you got your Extremas infected me. Over the past month or two I have done an exhaustive search for new speakers. Next Thursday, my new ACI's arrive. In my search, they were compared many times to the Sonus Faber Concertos, with a very musical, seductive sound. I know they're not in the league of your babies, but I've never been so excited about new gear. I'll see if they live up to expectations during the thirty day trial period (recommended 60 hours break-in), but I suspect they'll be keepers.

So, I guess your enthusiam inspired me Lex.

Keith
                                                                                Keith

Comment

• george king
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2000
                                                                                  • 45

#41
                                                                                  Danbry,

I hope the ACIs work out for you, a lot of people really like them, especially over at HTF. Like I said it was close.

Danny at GR research is a great guy to deal with, in case you have to go that route. And Brian Bunge's work on the cabinets is first rate (you could order the AV-2s direct from him at www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com) or direct from Danny). My cabinets for the AV-1s must weigh 12 lbs apiece, and are completely inert. I love them, but hope the ACIs work.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Sep 2002
                                                                                    • 1584

#42
                                                                                    Thanks George.

Keith
                                                                                    Keith

Comment

• Rock Dog
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Jan 2003
                                                                                      • 417

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Lex
                                                                                      Anyone using Sonus faber?

Lex
                                                                                      Only the wealthy, or well to do.

Oh yeah. I hear John Gacy, and Ted Bundy were big Faber fans.

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• Patrick TX
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2003
                                                                                        • 29

#44
                                                                                        I LOVE the B&W / Rotel sound! Nothing sweeter.

B&W CDM 9NT's
                                                                                        B&W CDM CNT
                                                                                        B&W LM1's
                                                                                        SVS 2531PC+ (soon to be a PB2+)
                                                                                        My Equipment

Rotel RSP-1066
                                                                                        Rotel RMB-1075
                                                                                        Front - B&W CDM 9NT's
                                                                                        Center - B&W CDM CNT
                                                                                        Surrounds - B&W LM1's
                                                                                        Subwoofer - SVS PB2+
                                                                                        HDTV - Pioneer Elite Pro630HD
                                                                                        DVD - Panasonic DVD-RP91K, Denon DVD-1600
                                                                                        SACD Changer - Sony SCD-C222ES
                                                                                        PVR Box - SA Explorer 8000
                                                                                        HD Box - SA Explorer 3100HD
                                                                                        Gaming - Sony PS2
                                                                                        Remote - Home Theater Master MX-500
                                                                                        Power Conditioner - Panamax M5300
                                                                                        Rack Light - Panamax RacMax

Comment

• SomaJoe
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2003
                                                                                          • 56

#45
                                                                                          I am currently using 5 B&W VM1's. I'm in the process of shopping for new mains for left and right, and my current top choice are a pair of B&W 805s. Anyone have these?

-joe

Joe's HT
                                                                                          Joe's HT

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"