X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KathyMason
    • Nov 2004

My review of Rotel RB-1090

I did this review for the Klipsch forum of how wonderful
    the Klipsch RF-7 and Rotel RB-1090 sound together.
    The Rotel RB-1090 is a superb amp with the Klipsch
    RF-7. Klipsch are very revealing speakers with any
    shotcomings from an amp and the Klipsch will let you
    know it. Rotel RB-1090 goes so well with Klipsch, is so
    beautiful sounding with great detail, dynamics, clarity,
    musicality, and great slam and punch bass. I love my
    Rotel RB-1090 even more now with my new Klipsch
    speakers!

Review:

I've been breaking-in a brand new pair of Klipsch RF-7 speakers
    over the past few weeks. The speakers weigh about 95 pounds
    each so I had to get help moving them to the right spot in my
    house. It took two girls and one guy to move them into place
    and I was so nervous we were going to drop one going up the
    stairs with them but all went well. I love the weight, I don't
    like it when a speaker is feather-lite. The RF-7 feel and look
    a very nice quality. The only complaint I can find with them
    are the feet, seem too cheapy and my friend's husband told me that
    his broke when he tilted his back too far but that he replaced
    the feet with a nice metal set so I'll have to look into that,
    I do wish Klipsch would have made them metal! The speaker grills
    seem fine to me with the quality of it, I've seen much cheaper
    ones but Klipsch did pretty good on the grill, a heftier than most.

They sounded much better in my home than at "The Good Guys". I
    noticed the difference right away. I was very impressed with the
    sound from the beginning, although the highs were slightly bright
    and harsh at first but about two days of play, they went to very
    smooth. I also noticed a lack of bass in the beginning but after
    about one week, the bass was deep down low, tight, and impressive.
    The bass that the RF-7's give is so good that you do not need a
    sub at all. This will greatly depend on your amplifier though.
    I have three different amps and I got very much three very different
    results. I knew from my research on the RF-7's that two of my
    amps wouldn't do that well but the Rotel equipment would. I
    wanted to try and see. One amp was too bright and harsh where
    it was hard to listen to for very long. The other amp was a little
    warmer but kind of harsh in the highs and both amps really lacked
    in the bass area. My Rotel RB-1090 amp gives the RF-7's just what
    they want, the sound is very musical, dynamic, great slam and
    punching bass.... best I ever heard! The detail is incredible.
    The soundstage is huge, wide, and open. The other two amps suffered
    with too narrow of a soundstage. I can really see how the RF-7's
    need just the right equipment to sound their very best! It's
    quite incredible to hear the RF-7's best, it leaves me feeling
    very satisfied, thrilled, very involving, stunning, live, and big
    performance, leaving me in such awe with the RF-7 and Rotel
    equipment!! It leaves me
    with wanting nothing more, as if nirvana has been found.

I was concerned about the midrange lacking with the RF-7's two-way
    design. This is another area where it is very important to pick the
    right equipment. My other two amps did not give the midrange with
    the RF-7 is capable of and gave some disappointing results. My
    Rotel RB-1090 gave the midrange a very involving forward and smooth
    midrange with great clarity and detail and absolutely beautiful
    accurate male and female vocals. It didn't lack in the midrange
    at all with the Rotel RB-1090 so I think you need to pick an amp with
    very good ampage, the Rotel RB-1090 is 380watts per channel, and no,
    it is NOT an overkill at all. It gives it all it's best! I really
    think you cannot go any less than 200watts per channel with the RF-7's
    if you want the best midrange and bass output. My other two amps
    never even came close to achieving the sound quality given by the
    Rotel RB-1090 on every level.

I think that Klipsch has an exceptional product here if equipment is
    chosen wisely! The Rotel RB-1090, RC-1090, and RCD-1072 are
    definitely exceptional products!!! I cannot even describe the detail, resolution, articulation,
    dimensionality, and how the RF-7's can recreate room dimensions of the
    recorded source with the Rotel RB-1090!! You can even hear when a singer moves 3 to 6 inches
    away from the mic when singing! It's incredibly amazing! If a CD has a bad
    recording, the RF-7 and Rotel RB-1090 do let you know.....even if unpleasant!! Great recording
    sound phenomenal! The greatness and dynamics of the RF-7 have my Martin Logans
    sounding so lacking now and what's so amazing is the RF-7's cost so much
    less than my Martin Logans. Yes, I will be getting rid of my Martin Logans
    with the first found buyer! The Logans never, but never gave me bass like
    the RF-7's and that was always the big disappoint with the Logans. The Logans
    just cannot do the dynamics and dimensionality of the RF-7's! The Martin
    Logans are very impressive for what they are but just doesn't do it for me
    like the Klipsch RF-7's can do. I think I will be a hooked Klipsch and Rotel addict from here on out for life! :T :B
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If you're feeling really generous I'll glady take those logan's off your hands Seriously I'm jealous of your 1090 and it sounds like you've got a system to be proud off :T

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Great review!!!! You did the review very well, I liked how you tested your other amps as well as your Rotel to see the differences. I'm even MORE glad you heard differences! ha ha.

I'm happy that you really like your system, it sounds like a great setup, I know Orange Peel has the same speakers but with the RMB-1095 and thinks that amp matched them perfectly as well. It is definitely making me re-think my whole B&W N802D purchase in the future...

...on a side note, are there any more women like you out there? LOL. It's great to see a woman into this stuff. Most don't care or are too impatient to really enjoy the subtleties of it all... It's great to have you as a part of our community!

-Dan
      Last edited by PewterTA; 16 March 2005, 22:09 Wednesday.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• mitch57
        • Nov 2004

I second that! We all need to have beautiful woman like Kathy amongst us to keep us on our toes. Welcome aboard Kathy!
        Mitch
        :stupidpc:

Comment

• mikeyc
          • Sep 2004

Kathy: just curious, what are the other two amps that you tried with the Klipschs? I've heard the Klipschs before and found them overly bright, but that was with a Yamaha receiver. I wonder if the Rotel tames them.

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

Nice Job Kathy,

I'm upgrading as I write this. I'm getting the rmb1095 after much research and side by side listening.

Dan

Comment

• Kevin Allan
              • Mar 2005

Thanks for the review Kathy! I was looking at the B&W 703's, but had checked out the Klipsh RF-7's about a year or so back. I was really curious how they would perform, now I know. Still a bit of a concern about the horn and the highs it reproduces, but it sounds like break-in takes care of that. That amp would be a treasure for those times when it needs to be cranked up for sure!

Kevin

Comment

• hired goon
                • Aug 2004

G'day,

I went to the local Rotel/Klipsch dealer on Friday evening, and had a brief listen to Klipsch RF-7 with Rotel RC-1090, Rotel RB-1080, and Rotel RCD-1072. The sound was detailed, the soundstage was wide, but there didn't seem to be any front and back image. Whatever music there was, was very forward and hit you all at once. Note as bright as I was expecting, but some bass reinforcement seemed necessary as well.

I'm going back next week with my own CDs for a proper listening session, but I still can't shake the impression of a rather one-dimensional (though wide) soundstage, which tends to be fatiguing very quickly. Perhaps if I try the RB-1090 that may change.

--Geoff

Comment

• KathyMason
                  • Nov 2004

Thanks all for the nice comments!! :W

hired goon, When I listened to the RF-7's they didn't sound all that great at the store, but I have a friend's who's husband has the RF-7's and a Rotel RB-1080 so it gave me a very good idea what it could sound like at home.

Mine sound much better than my friend's husband or the store's demo setup, but we all know room also plays an important part to sound as well. The sound I get with the Rotel RB-1090 is wide, huge soundstage, front and back, and very amazing sound, just like some have said here before, I find it the same way. The sound has absolutely no fatiguing at all. I'm very sensitive to that and know all to well what that is like! There is no need for bass reinformcement when used with an amp like this, certainly not for myself! The windows here could not handle any more! one-dimensional?? Not here, I'm quite stunned and very happy with it.

Although the Klipsch RF-7's are not as forward as Klipsch previous products, it is still a big live sound that is forward, smooth, clean, and clear. It is part of the wonderful sound Klipsch is known for. I love these Klipsch speakers!
                  If you are not into a more forward presentation from a speaker, than you should look elsewhere. This comes close to live real sound that I appreciate very much and like, no other speaker has ever done that for myself but my cup a tea just may well not be your cup of tea. If I remember right, weren't you the one who didn't care much for the Rotel RB-1090? You and I had different takes on the RB-1090 and I really love mine. I think Rotel did very well, a real hidden jewel as some say that I've read and I agree!

Have fun! :B :T

Comment

• mmpeak
                    • Jan 2005

I very much agree with Kathy, I get the same results and find your review Kathy is right-on with the combo Klipsch/Rotel. Excellent! :T

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

I was going to go with Klipsch RF-7, but the looks, sound and appeal of the B&W N802 or N802Ds has gotten hold of me...

I have always wanted to hear the RF-7 in my room, but the only place close that sells Klipsch won't let me demo them at home (and they don't carry Rotel)... So I'm like SOL as far as hearing how the pair sounds together.
                      -Dan

Comment

• KathyMason
                        • Nov 2004

PewterTA, I listened to the B&W Nautilus 803 and 804 during my search comparing with the Klipsch RF-7. I listened to the B&W speakers with the Rotel equipment, RB-1090, RC-1090, RCD-1072, and also took a listen to them on the RB-1080. My decision pretty much came down to the B&W 804/803 or Klipsch RF-7. The Rotel equipment goes well with B&W speakers! Some claiming that it doesn't is beyond me, sounds wonderful!

The B&W has a beautiful midrange that B&W is well known for. I liked them a lot. I felt the bass could use some improving, especially for the cost of the speakers. One guy mentioned that he removed some of the inner foam from inside his Nautilus 803 that it greatly improved, but I sure wouldn't recommend that! I also listened to the N800 and N802 just to hear them out of curiosity because those are certainly out of my price range! Those two models create great bass, and should for that price!

I picked the Klipsch RF-7 over the B&W because of the big live sound that the Klipsch creates, as well as the Klipsch being a real bargin compared to the B&W for such big sound! It was a hard call between the two with the nice midrange the B&W creates. The Klipsch RF-7 do have much better bass than the B&W N803 and N804. There is a lot to like about the B&W and I do! The bargin I got with the Klipsch RF-7 quickly too care of that!
                        Either are very nice speakers! :W :T

Have fun! :P

Comment

• PewterTA
                          • Nov 2004

Kathy, that's great that you got to demo all those speakers... I wish the HT stores out here were that nice at doing that. It's like an arm and a leg to get anything home to demo (and half the time stores are all set up so differently it's tough to tell the similarities and differences of speakers).

I do agree when I listened to the 803 and 804 they don't have the bass of what the RF-7s have. One thing though I think also with B&W is their speakers a lot of time are so flat in their response that sometimes the lower frequencies suffer unless placed properly. The RF-7s do have the advantage though with the 2 10" bass drivers.

I am right now looking as well towards the Onyx Reference 3 speakers as they are supposed to outperform both the RF-7s and be very very close to the performance of the N802s. I think I might demo them for a 30 day policy and see if I want to keep them or not. My big thing (and I know this shouldn't be that much of an issue) but I just absolutely love the looks of the N802, and that might be worth the difference in price for all the speaker packages... It's such a tough decision...

Just wish I had more time and money to listen to every setup I could, that'd be the ultimate job! :T

Kathy again, thanks for your incite on the B&Ws and Klipsch! You are more than welcome to come out here and we can have fun demoing as many speakers as we can find! lol.
                          -Dan

Comment

• junior77blue
                            • Nov 2004

Yes...eveyone gets sucked in with the looks of the 802s...hard to pass up if you can budget them.

Klipsch are great rocking speakers, very lively....

Kathy, what does a pair of RF-7s go for?

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

You can get the RF-7s for around ~$1,500. Maybe little less or more.
                              -Dan

Comment

• lars
                                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by junior77blue
                                Kathy, what does a pair of RF-7s go for?
                                Depends on what country you're in - in the States they run about 2k USD/pair (www.jandr.com), here in France they're more than twice that -

- Lars

Comment

• PewterTA
                                  • Nov 2004

If anyone is interested in the RF-7s (in black, cherry, or maple), $729 a speaker plus shipping...

-Dan

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"