X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Copper Cats vs. Silver Cats for Klipsch speakers

I'm going to be ordering three pairs of new audio interconnects soon. What I've heard is that silver is bad for Klipsch speakers in that it accentuates the bright nature of the speakers. In other words, would the Coppercats be better for me?

Another question, I'd want three of one length and three of another length, rather than strickly pairs. Now, I've heard that Lex is quite possibly the greatest human being on the planet. Would he work with me on this?

Keith
    Keith
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I hear that Lex will even sell half cables if a person wants them.

Klipsch of course do feature horn based tweeters, and as such are rather up front speakers as a general rule. Of course, depending upon the amplification selected, that as well can influence the sound. Also listening environment. How lively is your room?

I'd ask you first to ask yourself what your sound is currently like to YOU. Your the most important person to determine the proper cable for your system. Of course, once I get a general idea of how things are presently, I can advise you on the proper cable that I build and sell.

Silver generally is a little bit more transparent than a good copper cable. But that does NOT always translate as bright. Even the silver itself can enter into the equation, as well as cable conditioning such as with my AudioDharma cable cooker.

Now I venture to guess, I've sold quite a few Silvercats to people with systems rather up front. But the fact is? Not one pair of Silvercats have ever been returned because of their brightness. I've sold quite a few of them too over the last 2 years.

But then, I can build copper cables that give up very little to silver in terms of detail, clarity, depth. Really only a very slight top edge is all they give up. So, you don't necessarily have to have silver to have a great cable.

I won't sell you the Coppercats as represented on my website. But I will sell you the new and improved Coppercats featuring oxygen free copper in teflon. Same price.

Greatest human? Well, now that could be a stretch. But I can put you in some cables that just might call out for your system to be turned around, so you can see the pretty things.

Let me know your thoughts on my questions.

Thanks,
    Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Thanks for the nice response Lex.

This is for my bedroom home theater system. I would not characterize the room as highly reflective, more like the typical bedroom. It has carpeting, bedroom furnature, etc. as well as computer and HT gear.

The interconnects would run from either my CD player or my DVD player to my Rotel 1066 pre/pro and from my Rotel to my Parasound 1205 amp. I'd only do the front three channels on each as I'd still use my Rhinos for the rear channels.

My system is somewhat bright now due to my Klipsch RB-5 reference bookshelf speakers and RC-3 center channel. But, a lot of the initial brightness was removed with the Parasound amp, which is a bit warmer than Rotel amps. The Arcam CD player I use is forward sounding, but wouldn't be characterized as harsh. It's a tad warmer than the Sony ES CD players, but not quite as warm as Marantz CD players I've heard.

So, what do you think? Will the coppers be warmer sounding, albeit with a small loss in transparency, detail, etc. or would you expect the real difference not to be one of warmth or brightness? It sounds to me from your description that they may emphasize the top frequencies a tad more, but that this would almost be a light, transparent airiness sonically, but maybe I didn't quite get you (especially with a dog jumping all over me as I try to type this).

Again, a very sincere thanks for your help.

Keith

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

My recommendation is copper. A bedroom is sort of closed in feeling anyway, I don't think you want to risk having it overbearing at all. Copper will do the job well. I would guess with the Parasound, your sound is getting much closer to optimal. Let's stay with neutrality, and copper.

I am going to recommend the Quantum SuperNovas or the Catalinas for the best detail retention, without glare. Lower priced alternative will be the new Coppercats.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Thanks again Lex

I guess I'd like to order 1 1/2 pairs (in other words, 3 total cables) of the Quantum Supernovas at 7.5 feet each. Since this custom in nature, how do I go about ordering?

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I will email you instructions, thanks!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
            Doug

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"