X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jsapp
    • Jun 2003

Question on Subwoofer Db Levels 1055

I have set the sub levels on my 1055 on the Test tone screen at -3db (just a little HOT for HT)

There is a Subwoofer setup screen where you can set crossover AND set Sub levels for 2 CH, Pro logic DTs etc. If I set stero to -2db is that ADDED to the setting I did in the test tones. IE -3db in test tone -2db in the menu for stereo giving a total of -5 db in stereo? I can't find an answer to this in the manual. I want my sub set FLAT for stereo and 1-2 db hot in 5.1
  • wng
    • Dec 2002

The important thing is to get your speaker channels balanced in the test tone screen. Then, in the subwoofer setup screen, set your Dolby and DTS modes "hot" to your taste. Leaving the stereo mode at "0" will keep the sub channel balanced (flat) with your front channels.

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

The test tone menu is to callibrate (balance) the sound output from the listening position using a sound level meter such as those sold at Radio Shack. The subwoofer setup menu has two purposes. One, it allows you to select the subwoofer crossover frequency. Two, and I think this is what you're asking about, it allows you to customize specific sub outputs for different modes. For instance, I prefer (actually love) to hear bass slam when listening to DD or DTS, so I have it set higher on this screen than, for instance, stereo. To a large extent, I view it is individualizing the bass to one's particular taste. So, the test tone level sets the general sub level and the subwoofer setup screen customizes that level, in + or - decibels in different modes to suit your taste.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• Jsapp
        • Jun 2003

Ah I see so they are "cumulative" . The reason I set the test tone menu to hot for Digital is becuse I used Avia to set the level (which is digital) I found some fairly large differnces between Avis and the test tones. I guess it really doesn't make much differnce if I set it flat in Test tone and hot on the sub screen or hot in Test tone and then flatten it on the sub screen it all amounts to the same thing right?

Comment

• nisoli
          • Jan 2003

I want to get a SPL meter to do the calibration for my new subwoofer. Do you know if the digital SPL meter from RadioShack is any better than the analog one they carry (the analog one is half price)?
          Thanks.

Comment

• Jsapp
            • Jun 2003

If you can get the Analog one GET IT.

My local installer offered to trade me his digital one or buy my Analog one off me. Apparently it is much eaier to do setup without having to watch the digits flash back and forth. Watching the needle shift a little is MUCh easier to deal with. Trust me on this one don't spend the extra for the digital.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Get the analog one if you can..they stopped selling the analog ones in Canada but I'm not sure about the US.

Comment

• nisoli
                • Jan 2003

The analog meter is not available online anymore, but my local store still had three and I got one. I'll calibrate this wkd. Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

• sdecker
                  • Jun 2002

The analog meters are on sale in CT Radio Shacks for $25. If my local one has any, I would pick up one for someone and ship it. I sould just charge for the price of the meter and the shipping cost.

earle

Comment

• wng
                    • Dec 2002

I think those meters have kept "the Shack" in business for the most part.

Jsapp, yes it amounts to the same thing. But it's less convenient doing stuff in reverse, no? If you set it hot in the test tone menu, all your sound modes will be inherently hot.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

$25! Wow that's cheap I paid about 3 times that much for mine...not that it wasn't worth it:T

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"