X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeppelin
    • May 2003

RSP1066 Test Tone

I have 1 question about the Test Tone on the centre channel.
    When I use the SPL meter to calibrate my centre speaker using the internal pink noise from the 1066 at 75db, the centre is set at 0db.
    But when I use the Test Tone from my DVD source pink noise like the "Video Essential" or "THX Optimizer" I have to set my centre at -4db.
    Thats a big difference for the centre channel.
    So which reference should I use or is it a faulty setup by Rotel.
    Any1 experience this in their setup using 1066 test tone compare the test tone from a source DVD.
    Abit confuse here with which is the real reference I should use.
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

I would go with the test tones of the test dvd's, because thats where most of your sound will come from. It might be different than Rotel's test tones because of cabling and stuff. Also test tones in the Rotel are synthetic and the ones from a test dvd really come from the source equipment.

Comment

• zeppelin
      • May 2003

Thks Scarp.
      Any1 got other recomendation.

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Zeppelin,

I think the test tones on the Avia are calibrated at 85db, the internal pick noise the on the 1066 is calibrated for 75db. A thought would be to try both tones (time permitting) and listen to the one that provides your personal listening preference.

However, if I had only one choice, I would also choose the Disc because it provides more calibrating options.

Good Luck,

Azeke

Comment

• sounddog
          • Feb 2003

With regard to Avia.

It's fine if you only have 5 channels of amplification any more and it gets messed up on the rears because it's 5 channels and of course the built in Rotel Processing will try to add 6/7 channels if the poweramps are connected and rear surrounds are enabled in the software.

Cheers

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

When I tried to balance using the internal test tones of the Rotel, the speakers seemed somehow out of balance. I went back to using Avia. It was interesting to note that there were differences between the two of them by 2-3 decibels, but the Avia callibrated system just sounded better.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• sdecker
              • Jun 2002

How do you guys calibrate with Avia or VE? The only way I can think of is to estimate you calibration, listen to the tones on the DVD. Then adjust the 1055/1066's tones, then compare the volumes. repaet on all channels until your done.

Sounds like a PIA, I just use the internal tones.

Earle

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

The meter and menu are pretty linear. Run through the disc and make notes, Center -3 Right rear +2 etc.. Punch those in the menu, do a double check, and you should be set.

With a lot of people getting better results with VE and Avia, any small PITA seems worth it...

Kevin D.

Comment

• zeppelin
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by sdecker
                  How do you guys calibrate with Avia or VE? The only way I can think of is to estimate you calibration, listen to the tones on the DVD. Then adjust the 1055/1066's tones, then compare the volumes. repaet on all channels until your done.

Earle
                  to calibrate any Stereo or 5.1 channel system accurately , you must use a SPL meter or sound Level meter like RadioShack.
                  I'll definitely go with the DVD source AVIA, but the dialog(Centre) seems to be lower volume and the special effects and music are much louder when playing normal movies cause its going -4db at centre but balance all around.
                  In stereo mode its definitely balance on both channel.

Comment

• zeppelin
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by sdecker

Earle
                    to calibrate any Stereo or 5.1 channel system accurately , you must use a SPL meter or sound Level meter like RadioShack.
                    I'll definitely go with the DVD source AVIA, but the dialog(Centre) seems to be lower volume and the special effects and music are much louder when playing normal movies cause its going -4db at centre but balance all around.
                    In stereo mode its definitely balance on both channel.

Comment

• sounddog
                      • Feb 2003

I'm a bit confused isan't the avia at THX so needs to be set with the amp at 85 instead of 75 using the internal test tones ?

Steff

Comment

• zeppelin
                        • May 2003

for my 1066 on the Centre channel weather its 75db or 85db using internal tones I have to set it at 0db, but when I used from a DVD source pinknoise at 75db or 85db no matter which I choose, I have to set my centre at -4db.
                        So the difference is about -4db when I use external source
                        0db when its on internal test tones.
                        I set my SPL meter at 65db, 75db and 85db still its the same difference for the centre channel (-4db for external source and 0db for internal tones).
                        So get it.
                        On my 1st post all I'm asking is which reference should I choose, using the internal tones from the 1066 or the external tones from a DVD source.
                        So base on the comments I've decided to use the external tones as the reference that is AVIA. So now my centre is -4db compare to the left and right channel.

Comment

• pbarata
                          • Feb 2003

Don’t know which RadioShack SPL meter is better for audio calibration, if the analog version or the digital version? On AVIA test DVD they explicit refer the analog version as the most adequate for calibrating, don’t know why? Thx :?
                          Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                          Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• ejfiii
                            • May 2003

My question is a little different. I haven't used my Avia dvd yet for sound calibration, but I did try the internal 1065 (not 1066) tones last night and to get the rears to match up to the fronts, they all have to be at max. Then this morning I thought that maybe I can set the fronts negative and the rears lower level but still positive as I hate to have the rears set at max. I will try that tonight.

But my more basic question: I know we are supposed to calibrate to 75 or 85db. How are people doing this? I obviously have my meter, but the actual question: when you first put the menu on test tones, do you adjust the master volume to a level where the first tone is in the 70 or 80 db range? That seems a little loud to me, but otherwise I cant figure it out. Then I would adjust all the other speaker volumes using the adjustments (with the first one fine tuned to get close using the adjustment). Or is there something else I am supposed to do with the master volume?

Thanks for helping out a noobie.

E. J.

My HT
                            My HT

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

pbarata,

Either one will do the job. I've owned both and personally prefer the analog because, for me, it's easier to read, but really it's a potato/potahto type thing. The analog is cheaper though.

Ejfiii,

The meter should be set to "slow" and "C" weighted.

At your main listening position, at face height, point it forward at about a 40 or so degree upward angle angle.

I'm pretty sure Avia starts with the left front speaker on the test tones. As the test tone plays, adjust your master volume until it reaches 85 decibels on the meter. Remember what the volume is set at at this point. For future reference, that is the setting of reference volume.

Now cycle through your other channels, but, at this point, you no longer use the master volume to adjust the level. Instead, use the individual speaker level adjustments made with the Rotel, making sure to have the meter angled up and positioned as it was for when you first did the front left channel.

Regarding the issue of having to set one speaker or another below "0", it can't be avoided sometimes due to factors such as the distance individual speakers are from the listening position, different amp powers in different channels, and different speaker sensitivities.

Hope this makes sense and answers your questions.

Keith
                              Keith

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"