X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

RSX-1056 vs RSP-1068

Has anyone done a head to head comparison of these two. I've gotten an impulse to upgrade soon and am curious if anyone has been able to check the 2 out side by side and if any 2 channel sonic differences were noticed. The dealer may or may not be able to arrange this so if someone has and could pipe in with a yay or nay that would be appreciated, Thanx.....
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If its anything like the 1055 vs 1066 they should be extremely similar sounding. The receiver will have a slightly higher noise floor then the pre amp but nothing to get to worried about.

Comment

• pdr711
      • Sep 2004

I compared the 1056 side by side to the 1068 on B&W speakers at my local dealer. They sounded really close. Actually I could not tell the difference. I am no expert by any means though. I went with the 1056/1080 combo because I wanted a tuner.

Dan

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

I was home alone last night for a while and was able to do some tinkering. I put my RC-1070 and RSX-1055 head to head @ 2 channel,through my RMB-1075 and found the 1070 opens up @ a much lower db. The soundstage is huge right out of the chute where as the 1055 has to be louder b-4 the music really blossoms. I am assuming this will be the case with the 1056 vs the 1068 as well. They both spec the same on paper except as you have pointed out Andrew, the noise floor, and the output level. I like the fact with a pre only that when my Mom pops in, I can say "you gotta hear this" (she is an avid music lover) and at a volume that doesn't offend her she can hear things in the music she has never caught b-4. I also like the fact that I called my dealer today, told them what I was considering, they told me to box my 1070 up (purchased 2 1/2 mos. ago) bring it in and I will be given full purchase price on an upgrade, as well as be kind to me on the upgrade. Be it a 1056, 1068, or whatever path I choose. Sweet :T I may just start with the 1056, save a few bucks, and after the Holidays are over go grab the 1068 and RB-1070.
        Last edited by soundhound; 03 December 2004, 07:23 Friday.

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

Cool, Thank You Dan, Bob

Comment

• mikeyc
            • Sep 2004

If you listen to the 1056 on its own, it will sound good. But if you do a A/B test with a 1068 with the same source material, you'll notice that the 1068 has a much larger soundstage. The price difference is worth it in my opinion.

Comment

• shadow
              • Dec 2003

There is virtually no difference in my experience. There should be almost no difference since the circuitry is the same. If you expect to hear a difference you almost certainly will hear one whether it is real or not.

Comment

• Scherr
                • Dec 2003

I don't think you can make any assumptions by comparing the 1055 to the 1070. The 1070 has a completely different preamp section than the 1055. The 1056 is an upgrade from the 1055 (as the 1068 is an upgrade from the 1066). You are comparing apples and oranges.

I bought the 1056 rather than the 1068 because it had amplification, was cheaper, and I felt there would be little or no difference between the 1056 and 1068.

Scott

Originally posted by soundhound
                I was home alone last night for a while and was able to do some tinkering. I put my RC-1070 and RSX-1055 head to head @ 2 channel,through my RMB-1075 and found the 1070 opens up @ a much lower db. The soundstage is huge right out of the chute where as the 1055 has to be louder b-4 the music really blossoms. I am assuming this will be the case with the 1056 vs the 1068 as well. They both spec the same on paper except as you have pointed out Andrew, the noise floor, and the output level. I like the fact with a pre only that when my Mom pops in, I can say "you gotta hear this" (she is an avid music lover) and at a volume that doesn't offend her she can hear things in the music she has never caught b-4. I also like the fact that I called my dealer today, told them what I was considering, they told me to box my 1070 up (purchased 2 1/2 mos. ago) bring it in and I will be given full purchase price on an upgrade, as well as be kind to me on the upgrade. Be it a 1056, 1068, or whatever path I choose. Sweet :T I may just start with the 1056, save a few bucks, and after the Holidays are over go grab the 1068 and RB-1070.

Comment

• soundhound
                  • Mar 2004

I understand the analogy Scherr, I am just curious if the difference I am hearing is based on pre vs reciever rather than model generations. I guess tommorow I will check it out, and suspect with the way the dealer has treated me I will be able to spend a couple of hours in there and sample till my hearts content. Thanx all for the responses................. One of the things that make me go HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMM?????? If the RSX-1056 and RSP-1068 are identicle pre/pro circuitry wise, why does the one Minus the tuner and 5 channels of amplification cost $400 more? This defies my logic....

Comment

• phillipk
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by soundhound
                    If the RSX-1056 and RSP-1068 are identicle pre/pro circuitry wise, why does the one Minus the tuner and 5 channels of amplification cost $400 more? This defies my logic....
                    One reason--regardless of whether there's an audible difference--is competition. There are a million receivers out there... not so many pre/pros.

Thanks,
                    Phillip

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

If the RSX-1056 and RSP-1068 are identicle pre/pro circuitry wise, why does the one Minus the tuner and 5 channels of amplification cost $400 more? This defies my logic....
                      Its also simple economics...Rotel will sell 10x as many 1056's as they will 1068's so that comes into play as well as competition as Philip mentions.

When used as a pre pro I'd be willing to bet virtually everyone here wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Comment

• Can1
                        • Nov 2004

I have compared the 1056 and the 1068 with RB1080 on a pair of Dynaudio 72SE speakers, I also compared them with a Sim Audio W5-LE amplifier. There was not much different between them on 2-channel stereo. The RSX1056 is a very good buy for a receiver.

Comment

• pdr711
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by shadow
                          If you expect to hear a difference you almost certainly will hear one whether it is real or not.
                          This is so true. I have been victim of this myself a time or two.

Comment

• hired goon
                            • Aug 2004

G'day,

When used as a pre pro I'd be willing to bet virtually everyone here wouldn't be able to tell them apart.
                            Well I've got the RSP-1068.

I guess I should have picked the RSX-1056 instead, if it's got the same circuitry, sounds the same, has a tuner, 5x75w channels, and costs less. I could have used that tuner, and those 5 channels could have been used for powering surrounds and allowing me to bi-amp the front/centre speakers, or moving to 7.1, or running a second zone....

Grrrr. If the RSX-1056 is basically a cheaper RSP-1068 with a tuner and a 5x75w amp, then I feel like an idiot for choosing the RSP-1068. Hopefully someone will pipe up with some feature of the RSP-1068 that justifies the extra cost, or I'll be dumping my pre/pro...

--Geoff

Comment

• twitchie
                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                              Its also simple economics...Rotel will sell 10x as many 1056's as they will 1068's so that comes into play as well as competition as Philip mentions.

Not only is it simple economics, but also throw in some marketing and human ego and pride - people assume separates are a step up, and therefore expect to pay more for what they perceive as an upgrade. It would be incongruent to for the separates to be priced lower, but I've also heard this is only North American mentality and that in Europe, the pre/pro is actually cheaper. Go figure... whatever the market will bear it seems.

Comment

• twitchie
                                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by hired goon
                                G'day,

Well I've got the RSP-1068.

I guess I should have picked the RSX-1056 instead, if it's got the same circuitry, sounds the same, has a tuner, 5x75w channels, and costs less. I could have used that tuner, and those 5 channels could have been used for powering surrounds and allowing me to bi-amp the front/centre speakers, or moving to 7.1, or running a second zone....

Grrrr. If the RSX-1056 is basically a cheaper RSP-1068 with a tuner and a 5x75w amp, then I feel like an idiot for choosing the RSP-1068. Hopefully someone will pipe up with some feature of the RSP-1068 that justifies the extra cost, or I'll be dumping my pre/pro...

--Geoff
                                Hi Geoff,

In all seriousness, you've earned bragging rights by owning a pre/pro. I've got the 1055 and my friend has a 1066 with Coda power amps. Somehow, Coda power amps with a receiver seems unnatural. It also seems that the gap between sound quality is bigger between the 1056/1068 than it was with the 1055/1066. I would hang onto the 1068 in your case, unless your dealer is willing to let you trade back at full price, but I'd definitely A/B them before I made that decision if I were in your situation.

Comment

• Nick T
                                  • Mar 2004

Glad i read this thread before purchasing a 1068 - will definitely consider the 1056 n)ow.

Geoff - I'm gonna do some research and see what differences there are, features wise (menu options, etc), between the 1068 and 1056 - i'll keep you posted....

Comment

• JDH
                                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Nick T
                                    Glad i read this thread before purchasing a 1068 - will definitely consider the 1056 n)ow.

Geoff - I'm gonna do some research and see what differences there are, features wise (menu options, etc), between the 1068 and 1056 - i'll keep you posted....
                                    I would agree that the RSX-1056 combined with the RB-1080 power amp or even an RB-1070 to drive the main speakers gives alot of features and sound performance at a relative modest price. With this option you only have two components and have the option to either have a 7.1 system or a 5.1 + 2ch zone 2 + basic tuner built in.
                                    Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• soundhound
                                      • Mar 2004

With opinions in abundance, I am a believer in the way mikeyc stated it earlier in the thread. In about 3 1/2 hours I will know for sure as I will be at the dealer checking them out. I am ready to take the next step and want to be confident I went the right direction. There is no doubt that Rotel is where it is at for me, just unsure as to wich one, being they are all sweet pieces of gear. I will take bang for the buck everday, all day long.......If the 1056 sounds to me like the 1068 did (does), then that's the one that will be coming home. Had I not had an RSP-980 pre/pro wich truely spoiled me on Rotel's 2 channel capabilities, I would still be content with my Yamaha, Carver stuff and be none the wiser. Also never would have been turned on to this place, and this has become as much of an addiction as the hobby itself.
                                      Bob

Comment

• Nick T
                                        • Mar 2004

Just had a look at the 1068 and 1056 user manuals, and from what i can see, both units are virtually identical in terms of features. Noise floor and output levels are slightly different as noted in earlier posts, 1056 has a tuner (1068 does not), 1068 has a 2 tier display/readout on the front - ie its displays more info (the 1056 has a single tier front display).

For me the tuner on the 1056 is an added bonus, plus the 1056 is AUS$200 cheaper than the 1068. Sorry Geoff - its probably not want you want to hear. But, if the 1068 is sonically superior to the 1056, i would go the 1068 and buy a cheap tuner - i personally don't listen to the radio at home much, and if i do its usually talk-back radio.

But like you said Bob - going and having a listen to both setups is the only way to make a decision. All the best with it - let us know how you go

Comment

• shadow
                                          • Dec 2003

My earlier opinion remains unchanged. If you expect the 1068 to sound better than the 1056, it will to you, but there is still no technical explanation why it should. Suggest you read the Secrets double blind test recently posted on Nordost power cables v. stock cords. I have never been a big fan of these tests but I am reluctantly beginning to believe that much of the sound differences we audiophiles attribute to equipment is all in our heads. That would be especially true with the 1056 v. 1068 where the technical differences are so minor as to be virtually non-existent from a measurement point of view.

Comment

• soundhound
                                            • Mar 2004

There, I got to do a true head to head with the RSX-1056 and the RSP-1068. My salesman worked with me for a good 2 hours until I was able to accomplish what I had wanted. We took the 1056 pre out, and the 1068 pre out, and simultaniously switched them thru an RB-1070 without changing speaks (B&W floorstanders, model unknown) or the source. We listened to a couple different tracks , I sat in the chair, he switched the pre's (pushed a button) and the 1068 had a better presentation of the music. Without getting to wordy, the 1056 was a tad middy where as the 1068 had better definition. I do realize there are skeptics, but............I did indeed go there open minded as I had 5 channels of amp, as well as a tuner to gain if I were to go with the 1056. And the best part of this was, He got me out the door for my 2 1/2 mos. old RC-1070, and $1050 plus tax to boot. Now to play, and tweek...

Comment

• soundhound
                                              • Mar 2004

On a side note to this I had asked yesterday while at the dealer and was told the "topology" is the same between the 1056 & 1068 but when it gets to the analog side there are differences, thus being the price difference as well as the spec differences.

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                                                • Mar 2004

Take it from a guy thats owned both,the 1068 is superior,for sure,I tested extensively.I ran each through the same amps,set up the same,and while the 1056 is good,the 1068 was very good.That said,the 1056 still sounds better than other mass mkt avrs and is worth every penny.If money is an issue at all,get the 1056 and add an amp later.

Comment

• soundhound
                                                  • Mar 2004

Thank you BK, couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                                                    • Mar 2004

hound,I just told it like it is.I would love to be in a blind test between these two,the difference is clearly audible on quality speakers.

Comment

• hired goon
                                                      • Aug 2004

G'day,

Here's what Rotel tech support have to say on the issue of 1056 vs 1068:

I am guessing that you are referring to the preamp section of the 1056 vs. the 1068 and you are using the same amplifier. If this is what you are referring to then the differences are extremely minor.

If you are comparing the 1056 using the amplifier outputs vs. the 1068 plus a separate amplifier, then the 1068 would have a superior quality sound as long as the amplifier was a good amp.

This is all up to personal preference though and I highly recommend that you listen to each setup and make the decision based on your personal likes.

Both of these units have the analog bypass mode so the resulting sound quality is going to be very close to the original sound.
                                                      I guess this means that Rotel consider the pre-amp sections of 1056 and 1068 to be extremely similar, but you should still listen to each to justify if the difference in sound quality of the 1068 justifies (a) its extra cost and (b) its lack of tuner and 5x75w amplification.

As evidenced above, some people reckon they cannot hear any difference, and some people reckon there is quite a large difference that is worth the extra $$$.

I started with a 1066, but wasn't satisfied with it and traded it in for a 1068, but I sure wish I had tried out the 1056 some more...

--Geoff

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                                                        • Mar 2004

If you like the 1068,you could live w/the 1056,I did and now live with a slightly inferior 2ch.If I would have just kept the 1068 I would be happier.Just the difference in the noise floor(quite noticable)would almost be worth it,but the real difference was in the quality of sound.I still run my 1056 through external amps so my opinions are based on strictly the pre amp section.

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"