X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nate
    • Feb 2003

RSX-1055 power

I currently own the RSX-1055 and I use it to push a couple of B&W 9NTs. I want to start using my system for more HT. However, I am on a budget right now, and I'm not sure how much I can really spend.

My main question is, if I was using the 1055 to push five speakers, would it decrease the life of the speakers and/or the receiver? I am thinking about buying the RMB-1075 for more power, so I know that would help out. But then more questions come into play! I have heard some people talking about biamping and how it wasn't good for B&Ws. Is that true?? If it is, I could use the 1075 to run the fronts and center, and use the 1055 for the surrounds (and eventually the backs for 7.1). I have been reading a lot of these threads, and I have heard a lot of opinions about using too much or too little from the amps/receivers.

Please help! I figured I could get more help here than someone that is trying to sell me more equpment. Thanks.
  • Glenn
    • Jun 2003

Nate

What is your opinion on the power level of the rsx-1055 combined with the 9NT's, in a two channel set-up? Does this particluar combination match and work well for you?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

My main question is, if I was using the 1055 to push five speakers, would it decrease the life of the speakers and/or the receiver?
      No it won't decrease the life of either product. The only way you'd damage your speakers is if you turned it up to a loud enough level that the receivers amps clip...fortunatly you're likely to have run out of the room by that point so i wouldn't worry about it

I am thinking about buying the RMB-1075 for more power, so I know that would help out.
      That's a nice amplifier

But then more questions come into play! I have heard some people talking about biamping and how it wasn't good for B&Ws. Is that true??
      I've love to hear why they think it would be bad :roll:

If it is, I could use the 1075 to run the fronts and center, and use the 1055 for the surrounds (and eventually the backs for 7.1). I have been reading a lot of these threads, and I have heard a lot of opinions about using too much or too little from the amps/receivers.
      Well that's not a bad idea...i'd bi amp the mains and power the center with the 5 channel amp and let the 1055 power the sides and rears if you have them.

That said before you buy the 1075 you might want to spend some time with just the 1055 powering your speakers....you might find its all you need. The 1075 will make the sound cleaner during stressfull passages but if you are only interested in movies you might find the 1055's internal amps provide you with all you need...esp if they're all set to small and you have a powered subwoofer.

Comment

• Nate
        • Feb 2003

Thanks for the help, Andrew. I will probably stick with the 1055 for a while and maybe go for the 1075 later when i get some more money. :LOL:

I am about to finally upgrade my 1055 with the latest software. Have there been any problems with the upgrade?? I have seen some threads about receivers that stop working after the upgrade. Does Rotel fix these receivers or give people a new one when they download the software and it stops working? I have already had to return my first 1055 to the dealer because of another issue that i never learned about. Rotel gave me a new one pretty quick...but, i don't want to go through that again. I have looked at the instructions, and they look pretty straight forward to me. I was just curious about the return policy on upgrades....

Thanks again for the help. I have learned so much from the forum....

Comment

• Energeezer
          • Sep 2002

Well that's not a bad idea...i'd bi amp the mains and power the center with the 5 channel amp and let the 1055 power the sides and rears if you have them.
          That is a good idea. Not sure why I hadn't thought of that myself.

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
          The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

I have seen some threads about receivers that stop working after the upgrade. Does Rotel fix these receivers or give people a new one when they download the software and it stops working?
            Don't quote me on this, but I think, in a worse case scenario where you couldn't get the receiver to work whatsoever after attempting to upgrade the firmware, you could send it back to Rotel and they would upgrade it for you. Most who have had a problem where the upgrade went wrong, tried it again and were able to correct the problem themselves. Usually, it was something like not flicking the switches back or attempting to upload with the receiver on "sleep" as opposed to being "turned off".

Andrew, do you know? I just think Rotel wouldn't have a problem at all doing it for him, if all failed.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

The only way to really screw up the upgrade process would be if you tried to flash it with the wrong firmware...ie. upgrading a version 1 model with a 2.XX firmware. I think that locks up the chip and would require it going back to Rotel...other then that it should work fine. As other's have mentioned in all other cases here when something didn't work correctly we were able to trace it back to a bad cable or something else that was easy to fix. If it doens't work the first time just try it again...it sometimes takes a couple of trys before it takes it...which although can be a little scary its nothing to worry about.

Comment

• Nate
                • Feb 2003

Sounds good. I should be getting my cable tomorrow so i will let 'er rip! :a>'>

Thanks for all of the help.

Comment

• johnmark
                  • Jun 2003

I have been using the RSX 1055 to power the CDM9's for 5 months now and I do not think more power is needed. I had an RB991 in the system for a while and I could not tell any major difference between the 991 and the 1055 amp. I got alot more bang for the buck out of good cables. I do not listen too extremely loud music, but I have yet to hear clipping at the loudest volume my ears can take. On the other hand that extra power is always attractive.

Comment

• Glenn
                    • Jun 2003

Johnmark

Thanks for the 1055 / 9NT reply. It's difficult to know the combination of different set-ups, especially when sometimes it's not possible to get to a dealer, or to have them rearrange their showroom. Nice to have the input of others who have had the chance to evaluate.

When you listen 5 channel, the 1055 still is sufficient to drive the 9NT's? What are the remaining speakers in your system?

Comment

• Nate
                      • Feb 2003

Glenn

I own the 9NTs and the CNT center channel. I also own a couple of older bookshelf speakers for the surrounds. I think that it sounds great in HT. I haven't had any problems with the amps in the 1055. I not only wanted the extra amp for the 7.1 setup, but for better sound overall.

Thanks for all of the input. I have been spending a lot of time at my dealer...it is really hard to get away from there! They mainly use the Rotel/B&W combination there, and they suggested to set the crossover at 60 for a sub with these speakers. Not one complaint so far! And after upgrading the 1055, i think i will be set for a while.

Comment

• Glenn
                        • Jun 2003

Nate

I'm very close to FINALLY finalizing my HT purchase decisions. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• johnmark
                          • Jun 2003

Glenn,

I use a couple of soon to be replaced Klipsh's for the rears. They are very efficient speakers.

I have played movies, SACD and DVDA in 5 channel and still have plenty of power. The "Dark Side of the Moon" SACD has lots of dynamics and it plays loud and smooth with just the 1055.

I'd suggest buying the 1055, let it break in, then see if the dealer will let you demo a 1080 to see if you can tell the difference. If you have not biwired the CDM9's do that first. That was the best thing I did to upgrade the system.

John

Comment

• Glenn
                            • Jun 2003

Johnmark

Few more weeks until my 1055 purchase and I will be trying the very suggestions that you've offered, I can't wait! And thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"