X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scherr
    • Dec 2003

Second Zone Bleedthrough

I noticed that if I have my second zone on the same input as my main zone, that even with the second zone off, there is still sound playing through the second zone speakers. Turning the second zone on makes the sound louder. Turning the second zone off makes it fainter, but still noticeable.

Very odd. Anyone else experience this or have any thoughts?

A work around is to make sure the second zone is on a different input before I turn it off, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Scott
  • Scherr
    • Dec 2003

Update:

The bleedthrough occurs no matter what input the second zone was last on.

In summary, if the second zone is off, it still plays into the second zone at a lower volume.

Sounds like a hardware issue.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Scott

Comment

• DelRay
      • Jun 2004

What equipment are you using? I had a similar situation with my sony es receiver.

Comment

• Scherr
        • Dec 2003

I have a Rotel 1056 and am using my old Denon 2800 to power the back center surrounds and second zone. I am using the external inputs of the Denon to use its amps. I have the volume level on the Denon at 00 which is reference level.

I didn't notice it for a few months until I hooked up an analog connection from my HD-Tivo to play the music channels in the second zone. I then discovered that it played at a low volume in the second zone even when the second zone was turned off. Of course, before that I had only a digital connection which cannot be used in the second zone.

Scott

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Here's a thought. Most receivers share grounds on all their RCA inputs (and outputs). Even Rotel is setup this way. When you get into extreme levels, this common ground can cause bleedthrough. You can see this by having something plugged in analog and turned on, switch to an input that doesn't have anything plugged into it, turn the Rotel way up. You should hear a faint sound from the other inputs signal.. This is normal.

Now, I think we're dealing with this in possibly two ways. Bleedthrough coming over the zone2 outputs when they are off (at an extremely low level), and then bleed through from the Denon on the multi-inputs (center-rear inputs to zone2 inputs).

Most of the time problems arise when receivers are turned up really high. I would turn the Denon down until you don't hear the signal in zone2 anymore, and then re-calibrate the center rears for the new Denon level.

If that doesn't work, it's probably time for a dedicated center rear amp. A bunch a strange things can happen when you start running receivers full tilt with a low-level inputs.

Since it's just center rears, an RMB-1066 might be the ticket. Bridge 4 of the channels for 150x2 and then have 60x2 for the zone2 speakers..

Good luck,

Kevin D.

Comment

• Scherr
            • Dec 2003

I believe it was the Denon bleeding over, but now I have a bigger problem.

The Rotel kept shutting itself off last night and when I felt it, it was extremely hot. Today, when I turned it on. it turned itself immediately off, and smoke was coming out of the top of it.

Needless to say, I will be taking it back to my dealer and making a warranty claim tomorrow!

Scott

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"