Rotel RMB-1095 Crackling Issues - Possibility of Input Relays?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotel_rmb1095
    • Sep 2014

Rotel RMB-1095 Crackling Issues - Possibility of Input Relays?

Hey all,
    I'm having some trouble with my beloved Rotel RMB-1095

- Turn Power Amp off
    - Set Preamp gain to 40-50
    - Turn Power Amp On
    - No sound at all
    - Turn preamp gain to around 65 and the sound is just audible, above 75 or so and the sound is clear and crisp with normal volume
    - Lower Gain to 50 and there is still audible sound without any issues
    - Turn Amplifier off (with gain still on 50)
    - Turn Amplifer back on after a few seconds and there is no sound at all

I tried the same steps with 3 different rca cables, and the same thing happens on my rsp985 processor too. Can replicate it on any combination of equipment. I can replicate it on the spot very easily.

Extra Notes

What normally happens when amp power button is pressed on (turning amp on)
    All 5 Protection lights come up for a second then switch off (as part of a protection test)

What happens when I turn I press the power button off (turning amp off)
    When you go to switch the unit off the Front Left and Surround Left channels flash for about 1 second and then switch off (the others do not turn on during the shut down of the rmb1095. I confirmed with my mate who also has a RMB1095 that none of his Protection lights flash on when you press the power button.

I have been told that it could be the input relays not contacting, turning up the gain seems to "semi" contact internally and turning it up a bit more seems to make it perform fine once the gain on the preamp is at around 65-70db.

Any advice/help on the matter would be hugely appreciated
    Adrian
  • Mark_89
    • Nov 2014

I have the exact same problem I think. My description of the issue:

"Yesterday I upgraded my Marantz SR5003 to a AV7702. I have had some volume related issues with the 5003-1095 combo which I thought was down to either the 5003 or dirty cables; but now I've connected the 7702 with XLR and the issue persists.
    The problem I'm facing is this: when I fire up my processor-Rotel 1095 combo and go into the channel level control on my processor and then switch through the channels (each giving white test noise), sometimes one of the channels (it appaers to be random which) yields no sound or very low very distorted sound. Since I started monitoring the issue this has occured on different occasions in the front left, rear left and center channels. When I then subsequently raise the general volume in the channel control (not the individual levels but the general level with the remote), the erring channel comes back to life and starts playing normally again.
    Having had this issue with both the 5003 and the 7702 and with bopth RCA and XLR I conclude that this must be the Rotel."

I will go on to monitor the power off lights behaviour. I have mine set to trigger via the 12v trigger. Will look into that later today.
    Hot-damn this is annoying.

Having had some relais related issues with my 1095 in the past it would not surprise me if this was the issue. Afraid I'll have to open up this puppy once more. Can't remember seeing 5 relais' for each of the channels though. Will dive deeper. Keep me posted.

Comment

• Mark_89
      • Nov 2014

When I switch the 1095 to power on via the front button when i power it off I get a half second flash of the center channel. That was incidentily also the last channel to give the low distorted sound with the level test.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"