X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TTA89
    • Oct 2004

RSX1056 Sound Issue

Well I don't know if this is a bug or something I don't have setup right but here is the deal.

I use my DVD player as my CD Player as most of you guys do as well. I have 2 different inputs setup as I default input "CD" to PCM 2 Channel and Default input "DVD" to DPL2. They both are setup to use the same digital toslink input.

Now... Last night I was listening to a CD and then wanted to watch a Movie. I changed the input to "DVD" with my universal remote and then put the DVD in the player. For whatever reason when it plays I don't get any audio. I walked up and turned off the reciever and then powered it back on and the sound works again. 8O 8O

I tried this a few times and its something I can duplicate. Now that I have more time to think about it I should have tried to power cycle the DVD player and see if that made any difference.

If I leave the DVD in the menu screen it goes into screen saver mode and swear that once or twice the sound wasn't working when it came back. I power cycled the whole system and didn't think much of it till last night.

Can someone else test this out or has anyone heard of this issue? Kinda pisses me off on an $1100+ dollar receiver. I didn't have this issue with my Denon 2803 and I doubt its the CD player.
    -Mike

My Home Theater Gear
  • TTA89
    • Oct 2004

Hmm Nobody?

Guess I'm calling Rotel. :cry:
    -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• TTA89
      • Oct 2004

Alright I must have a faulty unit if nobody else has any issues.

I watched Band of Brothers last night in DTS. I had to pause it 6 or 7 times and if I left it on pause for more than 30 seconds or so the reciever would default back into DPLIIC and then when I unpaused there would be no sound unless I turn off the reciever and turn it back on while the DVD is playing.

This is absurd..
      -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Sorry I missed this before. Do you have the ability to use either coaxial or optical? Have you tried switching between them?

This problem does pop up occasionally. The problem appears to be players that don't exactly confirm to digital specs. Unfortunately most cheaper receivers deal with un-spec signals a lot better than Rotel. So it's not cool, but probably not exactly Rotel's fault. I believe that switching to another input and back usually gets the sound back (an input that's not CD/DVD).

That said it could still be a faulty unit, or another unit might deal with it better. Try a different unit and see it still does it. If it does, you then have to decide if the Rotel sound is worth getting a new player, or if you should go a different route. No one can flame you for choosing something else.

Good luck,

Kevin D.

Comment

• rick c
          • Aug 2004

try setting default in receiver for dvd as dts neo 6.I have this receiver no problems at all.

Comment

• TTA89
            • Oct 2004

Thats not acceptable to me.

The more I think about it the more I want to get my money back. These issues are absurd, the transcoding quality sucks and I have the video bypassed. Truthfully I don't hear all that big a difference between this reciever and my denon 2803 anyways. At least not 700 dollars worth.

I think I'm going to see if I can return it and pre-order a Marantz 8500.
            -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• shadow
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by TTA89
              Thats not acceptable to me.

The more I think about it the more I want to get my money back. These issues are absurd, the transcoding quality sucks and I have the video bypassed. Truthfully I don't hear all that big a difference between this reciever and my denon 2803 anyways. At least not 700 dollars worth.

I think I'm going to see if I can return it and pre-order a Marantz 8500.
              Course you might contact your dealer and see what needs to be done to get this matter fixed. But if you think the Denon is better by all means get it. :roll:

Comment

• TTA89
                • Oct 2004

The Rotel Replaced it and has since been sold. I like the Rotel, just the issues it has ruins my ability to even use the thing! I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow.
                -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

• pdr711
                  • Sep 2004

TTA89, I listened to a cd and then changed to dvd input to watch a movie like you did and my 1056 worked fine. Also watched S P Ryan in DTS, I paused it several times for as long as 5 or 6 minutes and it always started back up in DTS.
                  Sounds like you have a faulty unit. It happens. My Yamaha 1400 I bought over a year ago had problems right out of the box. Dealer exchanged it for a new one and it worked fine.

Not sure what dvd player you are using or if it makes any difference. I use a Denon 2900.

Dan

Comment

• TTA89
                    • Oct 2004

I have a Samsung HD931 using Optical Audio. I just ran out to the store and my GF was listening to a CD on the CD Input and had the TV on so without changing the input I put in Roswell Season 2 Disc 6 and started watching it. I paused it and it seems to be working ok?

I dunno... This input is defaulted to PCM 2 Channel. I'll keep playing around and see what the dealer has to say tomorrow or monday.

Thanks for testing.
                    -Mike

My Home Theater Gear

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"