X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chanlon
    • Sep 2003

6.1 or 7.1?

Ok,

I've been hit with a case of the upgrades. I have been reading experiences of purchasing the 1080 to drive front speakers. I currently own a 1075, 1068 pream/pro, and 972 receiver for 2nd zone operation. I am driving PSB Stratus Silver i's for the front mains, C5i for the centre and 800's for the rear. All of which are very efficient. However I have been thinking and when I do that I get dangerous with my VISA :-)

I've been thinking about adding a 1080 to the power the front channels and use the 1075 for surround duties in a 6.1 or 7.1 system config.
    I will be designing a home theatre room after Christmas and was wondering if a 7.1 really adds to the surround mix or is a 6.1 more than adequate.
    Is there enough software to warrant a 7.1 system?

Thanks for your input!
    Chris :rofl:
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by chanlon
    Ok,

I've been hit with a case of the upgrades. I have been reading experiences of purchasing the 1080 to drive front speakers. I currently own a 1075, 1068 pream/pro, and 972 receiver for 2nd zone operation. I am driving PSB Stratus Silver i's for the front mains, C5i for the centre and 800's for the rear. All of which are very efficient. However I have been thinking and when I do that I get dangerous with my VISA :-)

I've been thinking about adding a 1080 to the power the front channels and use the 1075 for surround duties in a 6.1 or 7.1 system config.
    I will be designing a home theatre room after Christmas and was wondering if a 7.1 really adds to the surround mix or is a 6.1 more than adequate.
    Is there enough software to warrant a 7.1 system?

Thanks for your input!
    Chris :rofl:
    Chris,

I have a 7.1 system (upgraded my center backs for symmetry), and it is a beautiful sound to behold in DoPro IIx :T .

So the answer is an unequivocal YES.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• DrJRapp
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2003

It's the old problem of should, coulda woulda. If you go only to 6.1 you'd always be wondering if you shoulda gone "all the way".
      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

It's the old problem of should, coulda woulda. If you go only to 6.1 you'd always be wondering if you shoulda gone "all the way".
        Yes and no for some. For myself my room dictates that i can only use a single rear channel as there's a door where the other speaker would go. For me even adding the 6th channel was a huge improvement though as it really fills in the rear sound stage. 7.1 would be nice to have a little more steering in surround effects but since my room is also only 12 feet wide the single speaker works just fine, esp in conjunction with my bipole side speakers.

I guess my point is that the extra channels are worth the cost for most of us and that your room will dictate if 6 or 7 channels is where you need to go.

Comment

• MattCXII
          • Feb 2004

This is a question I am going to be tackling very soon. I just bought a house with a move-in date of Dec. 17th. The basement is unfinished and I can't wait to get making it into a dedicated home theater room. I don't have the demensions yet but Andrew, what are the recomended demensions for your rears when setting up either a 6 or a 7.1 system? I didn't know distance played that much of an impact. Please let me know as this will be one of many questions I will have about my theater as it developes.

Thanks,

Matt

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Matt I suggest you start a new thread in either the Spaces area or the HT area so that we can talk in more detail about your idea's and where to put the various speakers etc.

Comment

• MattCXII
              • Feb 2004

Sounds like a plan. I will re-locate the topic.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"