X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

RMB-1095 vs. three RMB-1080's

Hello. I currently have an RMB-1095 5 channel amp. Couldn't be happier with it. Best amp for the money without a doubt. I've had this setup for 2 years now and was thinking of upgrading. I was going to slowly move towards the Classe SSP-30 MkII processor and CAV-180 5 channel amp, but they have been discontinued. At fiirst, the people at Classe were saying the new Delta series was going to be priced similarly, but the prices have gone up 50-100% (double!!). Very disappointing indeed. I've since decided to stick with Rotel and go with an RSP-1098 based on all the good advice on this forum about the 1098. It is replacing an RSP-1066. I also want to upgrade the amp.

I want to stay in 5.1. I just want the rear amps to be closer to the actual speakers so I can use 8-17 ft cables instead of the 33ft cables I'm using now. I was thinking 3 1080's and biamp the center.

Let's ignore the extra $1000 cost of the 3 1080's for now... My question. Will the RMB-1080 be much better than the 1095 in 2 channel? I was reading about a tweak you guys do to allow the 2 transformers in the 1095 to drive 1 channel each (connect left front to left front and right front to right surround). I tried this and it actually does work! Does the 1080 have 2 transformers as well? If not, I was thinking that it may actually be possible for the 1095 to sound better than the 1080 in 2 channel with that tweak.

Any help appreciated. I will likely take a 1080 home for demo, but I thought I would get some prelimary info and what to expect from you guys first.
  • Electra
    • Jun 2004

Hello.

It`s a big different between the RSP-1066 and the RSP-1098. I did the same "switch", so yo can look forward to it. :T

What kinde of center do you have?

I dont`t think that 3x1080 is worth the money against one 1095.
    Regards from Norway.
    Stian

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

That's a tough call.... I think you'd have to listen and decide yourself... Another option for you might be a 1090, 1080, 1070 or 1090, 1070, 1070 combo or something like that. The 1090 should be a step up rather than a lateral move for your mains and your surrounds shouldn't need more than a 1070 or 1080 and bi-amping the centre with either the 1070 or 1080 should be more than sufficient.

What are your speakers anyways?

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• jlee
        • Aug 2004

To Electra: I have an HTM1 center. One of the reasons I want to go with separate amps is because of the cross talk in the 1095 and intermodular distortion that is inherent in a 5 channel amp. While playing 2 channel with the fronts disconnected, I can hear some of it leaking to the center and rears, but that could be the 1066 and not the 1095? Remember, at this point, we are ignoring the $1000 added cost . I recently found out that the 1066 converts analog signals through the CD player BACK to digital and then BACK to analog again so it can do all that digital processing crap. No wonder I wasn't getting the most from my CD player! If I had known that, I would have upgraded to the 1098 a lot sooner!!

To Aud19: Speakers are as follows:
        B&W N804 front, HTM1 center, SCM1 rear, REL Stadiums and Stratas for subs.

I've had the 1075 before and it's weaknesses are very revealing through my setup compared to the 1095 which had better bass control, pitch accuracy, and a lot less HF distortion at higher listening levels. From my understanding, the 1075 and 1070 are very similar in character. The lowest I'd like to go is 1080. I may even go 1090 for the mains, 1080 center, and 1080 surrounds. Only concern I have with that is that I went through a lot of trouble to get all 3 front speakers as close as possible in every way (same distances, center angled down, same cables, same interconnects, etc.) and from what I've been reading, people usually suggest to go with the same amp across the front 3 speakers. I've read through the posts comparing the 1080 and 1090, but there are only a handful of posts comparing the 1080 and 1095 in strict 2 channel. If anybody has had a chance to A/B this setup, please let me know your feedback! Thanks a lot!

The other option is a used CAV-180, but then I guess we would be going off topic? Sorry I'm a newbie to this forum so let me know if that is not allowed.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Well nothing against Rotel, they make great equipment for the $ but in the price range the 1095, 1090 and 1080 are in there are a lot of companies out there that make great amps, some of them 3 channel amps as well. Perhaps at least a look at them is in order.

Also FYI the 1066 only digitizes the signal if your listening to something other than stereo pass through.

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• jlee
            • Aug 2004

I wish Rotel would make either a monoblock or a 3 channel amp. That would simplify things greatly. Which other brands would you recommend? I'd PREFER to stick with Rotel, Classe, or perhaps Musical Fidelity, but I'm open. With B&W working in conjunction with Rotel and Classe in developing their products, one would think the products would work better with each other than some other brands.

The thing with the 1066 is a bit confusing. I read both manuals (1066 and 1068/1098) and based on that, it led me to conclude the signal is first converted to digital and then back again. There is no analog bypass on the 1066. I'm assuming that's what you meant by stereo pass through? Or is that different than analog bypass?

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Krell, Bryston and Lexicon would be three on the top of my short list for bigger budget amps.

EDIT: It depends on where you are though... I can get relatively good pricing on Bryston's as they're made here in Canada for example... (Bryston also includes a 20 year transferrable warranty on it's amps 8O ...I know!)

Jason
              Jason

Comment

• jlee
                • Aug 2004

I've heard many of you mention the Brystons in previous threads. Krell is overpriced in my opinion. There is only 1 Bryston dealer in Vancouver, BC, and that is Commercial Electronics. I've seen the USD pricing for Bryston, and it's quite a bit higher than Rotel. Do they have a CDN price list somewhere?
                I don't know anything about the Lexicon models.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Try sending a PM or email to jimmyp58. He's HTGuide's resident amp guru and could likely tell you some of your best bets for whichever country your in. I assume US?

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                    • May 2004

First off, the RB-1080 only has one transformer, its the RB-1090 that has two. Rotel used to make a 3 channel amp, some may remember it, the RB-993. It was 200 watts per channel, awesome amp, I wish that they still made a 3 channel amp. If you can get your hands on one of these, I would strongly recommend getting it. You ever think of getting another RMB-1095 and just biamping everything? ;x(

G.

:grab:

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"