X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gshisme
    • May 2003

Rotel firmware uprade..EASY..even for me

For those a little reluctant or intimidated so as not to uprade as I was..forget it..piece of cake. Techno-savy no..computer illiterate yes..that is me. The upgrade went just fine anyway and if I can do it anyone can. The instructions from Rotel were excellent and all you do is follow them exactly. So glad I finally did.

Just a note,

Greg

suds, suds, and more suds
  • wng
    • Dec 2002

Good to hear, Greg.

I still need to get a USB-to-serial adapter because my PC doesn't have serial ports. (Has anyone done a firmware upgrade through a USB port?) What a bummer because I was finally convinced to do the upgrade. And it looks like my USB port is on Comm 3, not Comm 1 or 2. Anyone know if this will be a problem? I'm on Windows XP. Thanks.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Has anyone done a firmware upgrade through a USB port?
      Yes I did the last time i upgraded since I was using my new Dell notebook. What you'll need is a quality USB to Serial adapter that has the software allowing you to change the com port and transfer rates. The one I recomend is made by Keyspan. Its the one I have and it works great. We have a generic one at work and while it works for something the software it comes with isnt' nearly as flexible as the keyspan software.

Comment

• wng
        • Dec 2002

Thanks a lot, Andrew. I'll go look for the Keyspan.

Comment

• ezc
          • May 2003

The Rotel instructions for upgrading software says after you upgrade the unit go to the on screen menu & preform a factory default before using the newly loaded software. I upgraded the software which went very well. I aslo did preform the factory default. Darn I had to reset all settings & knew that i would have to to that once I did the default. But is it necessary to do the default reset? After the upgrade I think all my settings were still correct, the upgrade didnt change any of my settings, but I did exactly what the instructions said. It was my first time upgrading my software so I didnt want to take any chances of messing up.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I"ve never bothered doing the reset myself.

Comment

• gshisme
              • May 2003

ezc
              I didn't do the reset either. Also I don't remember reading anything in the directions about the reset thing. Anyway it is working fine so not worried about it.

Comment

• ezc
                • May 2003

Thanks for the reply! I should have asked before I did the upgrade. Oh well Its done & I reset all the settings & everything works well! Thanks all!

Comment

• gshisme
                  • May 2003

ezc, Ah yes..Polks and Rotel.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"