X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Charles Hansen's 20-points re DSD

I asked Mr Hansen if i could share his thoughts on DSD that he posted elsewhere.
    Here you go:

1) The only reason the DSD exists at all is because the patents for CD were expiring. This had been a HUGE bonanza for Sony and Phiips as the royalty per CD was onl $0.07, yet it added up to $1 BILLION per year. The costs of inventing the scheme had been written off decades earlier so this represented a massive profit center for Sony. They did NOT want to lose this profit.

2) At the same time, every other manufacturer was SICK of Sony/Philip making so much money while they received nothing. When the DVD standard was finalized, almost all of the major manufacturers owned some patents that were critical to the DVD concept, so they all wanted the format that replaced CD to be based on DVD, as they felt that the entire distribution of royalties was much more equitable.

3) As it turned out, the only viable physical format for a CD replacement was based on the DVD technology, using red laser of much shorter wavelengths than the IR lasers used in CD. So both SACD and DVD-Audio were based on the physical format of DVD. There wasn't enough time to develop anything else.

4) So now the two factions lined up against each other. Sony and Philips had the advantage of only having to align two companies, where as the DVD-Audio Working group was a GIANT committee with representatives from over two dozen companies having input.

5) Both groups felt that the key selling point for both formats would be multi-channel capability (surround sound) which would easily piggy back on to the booming home theater craze where everyone was purchasing mutli-channel systems.

6) There were a few voices (notably Pioneer, pushing for a higher fidelity standard of 96/24, which would give over double the bandwidth of CD.

7) Sony played one of their typical dirty tricks when they announced that DSD would play UP TO 100 kHz with a dynamic range of UP TO 120 dB. This is complete and utter bullshit, as the S/N ratio of DSD at 100 kHz is negative. If you look at a reasonable bandwidth of say 20 kHz to 100 kHz, there is MORE NOISE in the DSD system than there is total signal.

8) Once Sony raised that red herring, it was difficult to fight against. The DVD committee screwed up royally and decided to fight fake fire with real fire So they made Lossless compression a mandatory feature of DVD-Audio, and in the process lost ALL backwards compatibility with the hundreds of millions of DVD players that were already in use.

9) So DVD-Audio was now an orphan that required the customer to purchase a brand-new player for which no software existed. That was one of the turning points where DVD- Audio started to lose the war.

10) There were two other factors that greatly contributed to Sony gaining the PERCEPTION that SACD sounded better that DVD Audio:

a) They hired Andreas Koch and Ed Meitner to build ALL of the hardware required by the record companies required to make discs with a completely new modulation scheme. In contrast, DVD-Audio was like the old Wild West - no rules whatsoever and anything goes An SACD could not be made without a Sony trained and approved engineer on board the engineering team for making the recording. (99% were simply transfers of old analog classics.) Anybody could make DVD-Audio discs with easily available hardware and extremely low cost (eg, $39) software packages.

b) Completely by accident, SACD had a huge sonic advantage because it required no brickwall filter during recording and relatively gentle 3rd order analog filters during playback. At the time, very few people (if any) realized the degree of sonic degradation created by steep brickwall filters.

11) So when people started comparing the SACDs against either CD's or DVD-Audio discs. the combination of FAR BETTER hardware, along with FAR BETTER MASTERING, along with the (virtual) elimination of brickwall filters, most people said, "Aha! Sony is right! DSD is a better format than PCM!"

12) In the end, both formats flopped for different reasons. DVD-Audios generally required a video display just to navigate the menus. People didn't want to add a video display to their audio system. This was proven when we started shipping our C-5xe "universal" player. It was two channels only, so we lost the ENTIRE multi-channel crowd, but that turned out to be a drop in the bucket. The C-5xe was BY FAR the most successful product we had built up to that time. A consumer could buy it, not care about the "format wars" or who won or who lost -- they could just buy any software they wanted BECAUSE THEY LIKED THE MUSIC and didn't have to pay any attention to how it was recorded. If it was an audio disc, it would play and a video monitor was NOT required. We sold thousands of those things!

13) Eventually both formats died off for a very simple reason. Releasing a disc in EITHER format was a money losing proposition. If you release a disc and it makes money, you say, "Hey we just made $XXX,000! Let's do that again!" But that NEVER happened with either format. So after Sony' bribery money ran out, that was pretty much the end of SACD, and since the DVD-Audio committee was SO STUPID as to require a completely different player than a regular DVD player, it was also doomed to failure.

The sad part is that if they had just made DVD-Audio the same as DVD without a video section, we all could have been enjoying 2 channels of 96/24, or 5.1 multi channel all the way up to 48/24. And they would have played in ANY DVD player with (at the very most) a firmware update. But that's what happens when things are run by a committee.

14) The story would have ended there except for Gordon Rankin. He had been on parts of the USB committees over the years, and he made sure that USB had the ability to make a good audio data transfer link. So when he released his "Streamlength" asynchronous isochronous USB firmware, all of a sudden any computer made in the last ten years could serve as a transport of higher performance than ANY conventional S/PDIF transport EVER MADE! Ayre was the first licensee, and more people wanted solid state equipment than tubed equipment so we ended up setting a NEW sales record with that product. For 2-1/2 years, the least expensive product we had ever made (excluding accessories) made up over 40% of our revenue stream!

15) Now we have to split the story somewhat. First we will look at multi-channel PCM. Whilt it is TRIVIAL to record and make multi-channel PCM files for USB DACs, there is virtually no software available, very few software players that will handle it, and very few USB DACs are made with more than two channels. Essentially it is a solution waiting for a problem to solve. So we will leave that alone, except to say that if one thought it were a viable market, it would be trivially easy to make a 16-channel 192/24 USB playback system. But nobody really cares except a handfull of people that generally just purchase Blu-ray discs of live audio concerts.

16) Everything changed for DSD, when in 2006 Sony announced the "DSD Disc". This was essentially an SACD but without the copy protection that made it impossible to play on a computer. I first heard about it in 2008 (I think, I can't remember any more). I was seated next to Gus Skinas, who had been part of the Sony SACD team. His role was to be the liaison between the recording studios and the technical people at Sony who would loan out the hardware required to make an SACD. When he told me about it, I talked to Gordon Ranking about it and we said that it would be trivial to packetize the DSD stream so that it looked like PCM. But then we realized it was a fool's errand because the only source of software was to (illegally in this country) rip an SACD with one of the rare specific models of PlayStation 3s. So we said, "Screw it."

When Sony (who is facing HUGE financial troubles and has been for the last ten years) finally gave up on SACD, they gave the rights and all of the designs for the Sonoma Audio Workstation, which is basically the only way to make a modern SACD recording. The Sonoma turns the 64x 1-bit DSD signal into a 64x 8-bit signal, which has 256x the resolution of an SACD. So by turning the DSD signal into a very high speed PCM signal, they can now do things like adjust the volume, fade in or out, add EQ or reverb or compression or any number of things that have become mandatory in this day and age of multi-track recording.

The problem is that now Sony has to talk out of both sides of their mouth at once. They painted themselves into a LITTLE TEENSY CORNER because they said that one of the prime advantages of a one-bit system was that was always inherently linear. But when people found out the trught that probably less that 0.001% of all DSD recordings actually were transferred into PCM and then back to DSD, they look pretty damn stupid.

17) But there is the inescapable fact that DSD (in general) DOES NOT USE ANY BRICKWALL FILTERS and therefore it is MUCH easleri to get good sounding results from a DSD than from normal PCM. So there aer still a WHOLE bunch of people that (incorrectly) believe that DSD sounds "better" than PCM.

Then SOME of these people started record companies selling downloads of DSD recordings because now there is a way to play them on a computer and you DON'T have to worry about the laser burning out or the SPECIAL IRREPLACEABLE CHIP crapping out or any of that traditional problems with SACD.

18) But the truth is that there are still some HUGE problems with DSD, especially with regards to out of ban noise, the need to replace ALL of the studio's recording systems, DAW's (Digital Audio Workstation), and everything down the line. Then at the other end, the consumer has to find a disc player or computer DAC AND computer playback software that will handle this completely different modulations scheme.

Of course the question becomes WHY?

And the typical answer is that "DSD sounds better than PCM". Well, Ive got news for you. It can sound better. And it can sound worse. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE IMPLEMENTATION.

19) We have recently introduced a two channel A/D converter that will output both PCM and DSD. But this converter has a few tricks up its sleeves. Specifically we have taken a page from the "What is so great about DSD" manual and applied it to PCM. And it turns out that with quad rate PCM you can get ALL OF THE SONIC ADVANTAGES OF DSD WITH NONE OF THE PRACTICAL DISADVANTAGES.

So we are literally on the verger of a whole new era of good sounding recordings. (YOU READ IT HERE FIRST!)

Go read John Atkinson's review of the QA-9 on the Stereophile website:

Ayre Acoustics QA-9 USB A/D converter | Stereophile.com

In it, he says that he ripped his best sounding LPs with the QA-9, and when he compared the copy with the original, he tried "until his ears bled" but could hear NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE ANALOG ORIGINAL AND THE DIGITAL COPY.

Now this is something of a breakthrough. When the digital is SO GOOD that it is INDISTINGUISHABLE from the analog, we have transcended a barrier.

And this is ALL DONE with PURE PCM, which ANY STUDIO IN THE WORLD CAN HANDLE. No new hardware, no new software, no new nothing. Just better sounding music on PCM. And downloading quad rate PCM is trivial as HD Tracks has shown us all.

You can hear another original recording of an organ recording at:

John Marks Records - Jul Downloads

In another month or so we will have 4 downloads available of a purist recording using the QA-9 in quad-rate PCM mode with just two microphones in a nice hall in Berlin of a piano. These will be preludes by Debussy, played absolutely, stunningly beautifully by a soon-to be-famous pianist named Katie Mahan Gorgeous playing and gorgeous sound.

20) So the bottom line is NOT that you are an idiot if you like DSD. DSD can sound wonderful. But what I am saying is THERE IS NOTHING MAGIC ABOUT DSD. WE CAN GET ALL OF THE GOOD THINGS ABOUT DSD IN A HIGH SAMPLE RATE PCM RECORDING ALSO!

So its more like the difference between tubes and transistors It's hard to make a bad sounding tube amp or preamp. And is DAMNED hard to make a great sounding solid state amp or preamp.

Well, we have cracked the nut. There is NO LONGER ANY REASON to get all worked up over DSD. Every time we send out a A/D converter for trial, It never comes back. In another year or two, MANY releases will be made on the QA-9. And many releases will be made on ADCs where the engineers have stolen our ideas and applied them to their products. (Of course the copy is never as good as the original, but that is a different story altogether

I hope that clarifies things a bit
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I want one QA-9!!!

Great read Bill!! Many thanks!!!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Charlie has gone down a long rough trail on this topic, if you follow his posts on other forums over the years and statements from events like RMAF. Naturally, I hope they do really well with this product, it should have the potential to become an instant classic of sort, especially as the competition in this space is somewhat limited. It would be interesting to see how it stacks up against my personal reference tool for ADC, which is the Metric Halo ULN-8/LIO-8.

Quad rate PCM gives the opportunity to use much softer filters at ADC and playback than we normally can with CD. I generally very much like the sonics of quad rate PCM material that I have, but the irony is that due to the SACD extraction setup/solution I use (which I don't think Charlie is aware of, technically- I haven't told him) the largest amount of 176.4 material I have (or quad rate in general) is converted SACD recordings.

I am in VIOLENT agreement that the majority of improvement in early SACD players was not the format per se, but that the producers went back to original first gen tapes and carefully did conversions from the best analog source they could put together, often fixing mastering issues in the original releases (such as Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"). While nearly none of those early Sony SACD's were hybrid, many follow ons from other labels are, using SBM to convert to CD in some cases (best situation) or using a 44.1 kHz CD mix that is different in other cases for the hybrid layer. The irony here, is that I can produce a CD using my DAW from ripped SACD's that is far better sonically than what the label ever released on CD, due to these mastering issues- James Taylor "Hourglass" is a striking example; the CD sounds like it was made from a 3rd generation tape, yet it was a well recorded album and the SACD version shows it. That kind of crap just annoys the hell out of me.

Over the holiday break I hope to have my external USB 2TB drive loaded up with Hi-Res stuff and connected to the M50 server, and the DCD8 added in to the system. I'm looking forward to this, it's going to be a music oriented Christmas in many ways (new Taylor acoustic guitar for my GF, too- don't tell her and spoil the surprise!)

And I have a huge backlog of ripped SACDs and unripped material that needs to be processed into tracks and coverted to AIFF or FLAC- probably the latter considering how well the NAD M50 handles that, and the resulting space saving. To that end, about 1 AM Thursday morning I ordered a new Mac Pro- I'm one of the lucky ones, it will actually ship in December!

Click image for larger version

Name:	vergemacpro_zpsb9d9ca08.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	939954

I just gave my last one away to my daughter's cousin who's a partial quadriplegic, due to spinal injury, just like Charlie.

The internal storage will just be used for the boot system, system library, applications, and admin account. the main user account will reside on an external Thunderbolt RAID array, in a Pegasus J4 (4TB)

Click image for larger version

Name:	172353_zpscf550e81.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	939953

What's likely not apparent from this picture is that it is a 4 drive array using 2.5" disks, with a foot print matching the current Mac mini. I.E., small and portable. Backup will be a LacCie 8TB TB array.

Of course, this will get used for photography and design, as well as work. With the ability to relocate user folders to a different drive from the startup drive, I can have multiple "accessory" user drives, one setup just for work stuff, with a different user account name, for example.

I think this is going to be really fun....

One more day to go down in Cupertino, then two weeks off!
      Last edited by theSven; 10 June 2023, 20:06 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jim1961
        • Nov 2012

Jon, would a condensed version of what you are saying (in part) be that the mastering/re-mastering process is the biggest factor rather than the medium?
        Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jim1961
          Jon, would a condensed version of what you are saying (in part) be that the mastering/re-mastering process is the biggest factor rather than the medium?
          Well, EVERYTHING is important, but without a high quality master/re-mastering process, it's just GIGO, right? SO many early CD's were released off of 2nd or 3rd gen analog tapes, almost as after thoughts- it's why there have been so many re-releases with "Remastered" featured heavily, or sometimes just in fine print. If they'd done the same mastering job and sources with SACD that they used for CD, it would really have been a stink bomb! ON the other hand, at the same time, Sony experimented with releasing CD's using what they called SBM (Super Bit Mapping) which was like what they did for their SACD production, but then carefully mastering it down to 44.1 kHz with decent dithering algorithms. Just compare the "Boston" original CD (which sounds like crap compared to the vinyl) against the SBM "Boston". I mean, we're not talking the highest grade audiophile quality source material, but the difference is VERY audible on anything from a simple system on up.

I do agree it's hard to get CD to sound really natural, due to the brick wall filters in recording and playback- but then I'd rather listen to CD's on my TotalDAC-D1 than SACD's on my Marantz SA-11- which isn't not a bad player at all for that sort of program- it's a step up from my muy expensive 1st gen Sony.

All a really transparent playback medium can do is accurately bring you the quality that's on the original master tape- many folks don't know, for example, the effort Pete Townshend went to in order to find and dig up the original multi-track from Tommy, in stead of one of the 2nd or 3rd gen stereo masters, and remix it from scratch on more modern machines and console to create the Tommy SACD. Paid big dividends, because the Tommy CD's sounded like crap compared to the vinyl.

Another example that's personal for me, because of my musical tastes and favorites, was the Stanly Clarke "School Days" album. Two CD versions I know of, neither any good compared to the vinyl as regards dynamics, detail, and frequency extension - heck, I used to have a half track 15 IPS tape I made of a record of it using my Denon platter and (at that time) Rabco tone arm with DL103, which the CD releases couldn't touch. Now, a few years back they released a greatest hits collection, "Bass-ics" which has several cuts from that album, and that CD, particularly the import edition, approaches the vinyl, finally, with the right playback DAC.

CD was quite successful financially, but it could have been even more killer and advanced digital faster if the mastering in the first 5-8 years hadn't been so mediocre in most cases.

Now, I do think SACD is better than CD and easier to get good sound with it, if you do everything right, but actually hardly anyone really makes their own SACD DAC, but relies on chip set solutions. Charlie's points about the ease of getting good sound with it are valid. OTOH, if you're comparing live mic feeds to recorded, and picky about the results, I think quad rate PCM is the way to go- you do have to have good ADC and DAC, and you have to have low jitter in both processes.

Just my opinion, YMMV, of course! :W
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Jon,

Can I just come over someday and play?!!? ha ha!

I'd love to see all these cool things you're up to and "help" verify!
            -Dan

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Yeah, after I get settled in to GF's place we'll have to have an "open house". :W
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

You have an open house and I think WkHanna and I will have to figure out how to be there! Road/Plane Trip!
                -Dan

Comment

• jim1961
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                  Yeah, after I get settled in to GF's place we'll have to have an "open house". :W
                  Free giveaways? :T
                  Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"